Fantasia video

TrishDish1002

Sent through the Fan Network support link: http://wgi.thefannetwork.org/support/

I am extremely disappointed in WGI and Fantasia's decision to withhold the video from the Riverside, CA regional on 2/25/12. The show is presented live to many people every weekend, yet a paying subscriber to this service (who presumably would be shown video from every guard at every WGI regional) is unable to see the show.

I sincerely hope that this decision is reconsidered.

Thank you,

[My Name]

What is WGI going to do about championships? Are they going to use a disclaimer? If it's not acceptable for YouTube or Fan Network, how can they justify it at a show where there is no opportunity for parents to remove their children prior to the show?

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 1

I don't see what the big deal is. From the bad vantage point that I had with a video, looks like an army going after people with Merlin beards. I certainly could see if that's offensive to magicians...

• Like 2

This has really nothing to do with the Fan Network....it has to do with WGI taking a stand and basically saying that simulating an execution style killing is not an acceptable choice for an activity that is primarily performed in High School gymnasiums across the country. I have the highest respect for every individual that is currently creating shows for all of us to enjoy. Sometimes, we get ahead of ourselves and need a little reality check. The bottom line is this.....if the execution that is portrayed in their show was part of a movie, the movie would be given an R Rating, which means that most of our activity could not go see it without parental consent. We just witnessed yet another horrific school shooting this week. Do we really want to see even a fake killing in our activity? And yes I know they are not "really" killing someone. They don't "really" kill people in movies either. And yes I know it's history. Union HS 1988 is powerful and somewhat disturbing, but no one died!!

Fantasia is a fantastic color guard and I am sure their creative team will come up with an even more powerful setting for their ending. Sometimes, what we don't see is way more powerful than what we do. Good luck to all of the teams this weekend!!

• Like 3

I don't see what the big deal is. From the bad vantage point that I had with a video, looks like an army going after people with Merlin beards. I certainly could see if that's offensive to magicians...

I wouldn't have an issue if wgi was imposing this on fantasia. If wgi as an organization found that there was objectionable material I would fully understand and support the decision. Untill it could be rectified But it clearly stated that this was at fantasias request. It does not set a good precedence.

I wouldn't have an issue if wgi was imposing this on fantasia. If wgi as an organization found that there was objectionable material I would fully understand and support the decision. Untill it could be rectified But it clearly stated that this was at fantasias request. It does not set a good precedence.

Me thinks you put more thought into my comment than I did. Ha!

i found a link to the show. it could be viewed as distrubing to some, but please...this show is hardly on par with the Carolina Thunder percussion show from 1999.

i found a link to the show. it could be viewed as distrubing to some, but please...this show is hardly on par with the Carolina Thunder percussion show from 1999.

heck, it's mild compared to Renegades first two minutes from...2004 I think? (Which I loved, but made some folks squirm)

The show is fine. It's extremely literal, which is odd to me, but it's fine. The strange part is hearing girls cheering like crazy throughout the show, it seems very off. It crushes any mood they are trying to set. Can't do much about that though.

To not show it on the Fan Network is a mistake. Plain and simple. Beware that this is now an option for some of the other shows you've been looking forward to.

How do we know this doesn't count for future Fan Network regionals, finals, the DVD?

I've seen the show, and the only purpose that this "controversy" serves is to hype a mediocre show. I think most people will be quite let down after seeing it. It's all rifle, that is poorly executed and choreography that seems more appropriate for open class than world class. Fantasia is building off the success of their rifle toss/exchange sequence, which is probably the only exciting part of the show. The dancing/movement is nonexistent. I do enjoy the staging though. As far as they way they create the story of the show, it comes off a bit cheesy when I'm sure their intent was to be a bit artsy.

There is nothing offensive about the show. It is all done in good taste. There is no reason why it shouldn't be viewed on the Fan Network. It almost seems like Fantasia might be thinking their show is a lot more than what it is, which is a show that I see not in the top 5 but probably somewhere between 7th to 10th place at WGI. I'm totally rubbed the wrong way with this stunt regarding the Fans Network. Don't take yourself so seriously Fantasia.

• Like 3

This has really nothing to do with the Fan Network....it has to do with WGI taking a stand and basically saying that simulating an execution style killing is not an acceptable choice for an activity that is primarily performed in High School gymnasiums across the country. I have the highest respect for every individual that is currently creating shows for all of us to enjoy. Sometimes, we get ahead of ourselves and need a little reality check. The bottom line is this.....if the execution that is portrayed in their show was part of a movie, the movie would be given an R Rating, which means that most of our activity could not go see it without parental consent. We just witnessed yet another horrific school shooting this week. Do we really want to see even a fake killing in our activity? And yes I know they are not "really" killing someone. They don't "really" kill people in movies either. And yes I know it's history. Union HS 1988 is powerful and somewhat disturbing, but no one died!!

Fantasia is a fantastic color guard and I am sure their creative team will come up with an even more powerful setting for their ending. Sometimes, what we don't see is way more powerful than what we do. Good luck to all of the teams this weekend!!

Well the sad part is that people did die tragically in the Holocaust. I've seen much more graphic pictures in high school history class as we learned about the Holocaust. Please come back to reality and stop pretending that children are being protected from some XXX movie. There is nothing that is distasteful about the show. Not every winterguard performance needs to be a Disney song. Variety in subject matter is what can make going to a show interesting. If you can't handle that maybe the marching arts is the wrong place for you.

• Like 1