Phantom Regiment 2012

Yes indeed. I hope they rewrite that last bit and give us the rest of Nessun Dorma at max volume, instead of skipping into what seems like a "filler" ending.

Other than that, I like the intensity! They have a fierceness in their music this year that we haven't heard from them in a couple years.

Woohoo 2012! I think it's going to be a good season. thumbup.gif

EDIT: I'm talking about from 10:40 onwards, and I bet they do change it at some point in the season. Hopefully before Atlanta! Please? For me? tongue.gif

Rewrites...at Regiment?! NEVER!

lol.

I like the fact that it's a miniaturized version of the opera (minus a lot of Act III) without a lot of fluff. I haven't heard the horn book in a long time, and it's already been changed. I think we'll do just fine this year.

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 1

It’s very cohesive in a drum corps, pacing sense without being repetitive. Brass writing is different but there are some characteristic Regiment-sounds sprinkled around. The change in writing style is somewhat masked by the Eastern feel to the score. It’s aggressive, feels rushed at times, especially at the start of ND which, I’d like to hear opened up a bit more as it sounds thin and that gear shift near the end better have a good visual to justify it. Snares were very good

It's very cohesive in a drum corps, pacing sense without being repetitive. Brass writing is different but there are some characteristic Regiment-sounds sprinkled around. The change in writing style is somewhat masked by the Eastern feel to the score. It's aggressive, feels rushed at times, especially at the start of ND which, I'd like to hear opened up a bit more as it sounds thin and that gear shift near the end better have a good visual to justify it. Snares were very good

I think that's what most people are using as justification for the "you can really tell JD's gone" comments. This is pretty much a straight transcription and is more Puccini than Hill (if I'm not completely wrong).

I've heard the visual will match...I'll know more after I've seen them, and that will be soon!

• Like 2

It's refreshing from Phantom. it's different. But I still know it's phantom.

I really like the second half of the show. I'm sure this show will grow on me. It started to grow on me the second watch. I really appreciate the arranging though. Drum line looks to have a really fun book!

• Like 1

LOVE IT!!!

Got to play the mello in 1988 with 3rd Glasgow BB in the UK, when we did the whole chart of the opener with only 26 brass. Phantastic piece of arranging. Still gives me tingles.

Yo joe!

we played it note for note, brass & percussion but..... if I remember correctly only 2 or 3 of our sops could actually play those runs at the end of the clip!

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

Not one for saying "better than this time last year" but....

It does sound better than last years concert in the park. Could just be the set up but I don't think so.

I also like the far eastern theme throughout, opens up all sorts of visual possibilities.

• Like 1