Phantom Regiment 2012

Serious question:

Can someone explain the method of ensemble timing they use? During the opener, it seems as though the conductor's hands are JUST SLIGHTLY behind the battery. Is this just a video sync thing?

Also, it looks like the pit is watching the conductor at some points. How does this work?

It looks like they are, because the drums are farther away than the conductor. Speed of light is just a bit faster than the speed of sound.

The pit watches the conductor at certain times, especially when not a lot of other people playing (i.e. the drumline during a ballad).

In a situation where everyone is as close as they are like that, it doesn't really matter what you do. But often when it is the pit alone playing, they will watch the conductor.. you can't listen back to nothing.

I'm sure their listening, watching responsibilities change quite a bit, especially in the show where the source of the tempo is constantly moving. And if the drum major is with the center snares feet, I guess it would be okay for them to look up at certain points.

Timing is so screwy anymore, with the complex drill and staging that goes on in the marching world. What should work, doesn't alway work. There is a lot of slightly ahead of the hands, slightly behind the hands, listening back, side to side, figuring out where you exactly fit it. Especially in the domes, you have to be spot on with all of your listening watching assignments, especially since what you can usually hear isn't always what it sounds like outdoors and it can throw you off.

• Like 1

It looks like they are, because the drums are farther away than the conductor. Speed of light is just a bit faster than the speed of sound.

The pit watches the conductor at certain times, especially when not a lot of other people playing (i.e. the drumline during a ballad).

That's what I'm saying -- in my experience, the SOUND from the battery should not be beating the drum major's hands to the ictus, right? If the drum major is conducting exactly with the snareline's feet, the drum major would appear to be slightly AHEAD of the sound.

Probably just looks weird on video. I'm not even sure that anyone on the stage could see the conductor anyway, given that lighting situation.

I did like the arrangements.

Absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see this show grow throughout the summer. I do wish that the Nessun Dorma solo was Baritone, but I do like the flugel. What is this 5 years in a row with a flugel solo?

Absolutely amazing! Can't wait to see this show grow throughout the summer. I do wish that the Nessun Dorma solo was Baritone, but I do like the flugel. What is this 5 years in a row with a flugel solo?

'08 was mellophone, not flugel.

I think this show sounds fantastic. The only tune I know from Turandot is Nessun Dorma, so I was a little worried. Worried no more!

I don't want to take this thread to far off track, but I got to thinking about this after reading through some of these posts: what's the order of "designers PR has missed most?"

- Jamey Thompson, after 2007 (though since returned)

- Adam Sage, after 2008

- Paul Rennick, after 2010

- JD Shaw, after 2011

I'd say in terms of immediate (1-2 years) impact: Sage, Thompson, Rennick, Shaw

I have always loved Jamey's drill. And quite a few judges do also!

So musical. Demanding but achievable. Probably my favorite drill writer in DCI. Sacktig is another favorite, but sometimes I feel his drill is forced to be the Cadets fast paced impossible ####. Last year was awesome from him. It had great balance.

But Phantom for sure missed Jamey... They luckily won a championship in 08 without him. But there was a ton of work done to that show after the initial write....

I think this show sounds fantastic. The only tune I know from Turandot is Nessun Dorma, so I was a little worried. Worried no more!

I don't want to take this thread to far off track, but I got to thinking about this after reading through some of these posts: what's the order of "designers PR has missed most?"

- Jamey Thompson, after 2007 (though since returned)

- Adam Sage, after 2008

- Paul Rennick, after 2010

- JD Shaw, after 2011

I'd say in terms of immediate (1-2 years) impact: Sage, Thompson, Rennick, Shaw

Wren (not on the list)