Phantom Regiment 2012

Just found this:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6S5juX9y0vs

Enjoy!!

HOLY COW THATS AWESOME STUFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the link!

Honestly, it's going to take a while for me to get used to this different style since JD is gone. The music is just missing that raw power that it had when he was there. It's good, but different. There are some moments I'm thinking, "wow, that's cool!", and others where I'm just like, "eh." The season hasn't even officially started yet, so who knows? There could be rewrites like there usually always is.

I would have to agree...the first thing that came to mind was how i thought it lacked the emotion and "raw power" that JD brought to the music. I also agree, it was good but different. I missed a reoccurring melody throughout the show like we've heard in the past as well as the transitions. To be completely honest, Nessun Dorma, while being my favorite moment of the show, still couldve given me more.

****I just listened to the show again and have figured out why I feel this way about Nessun Dorma. Usually, the piece builds until you get that huge climactic moment. This arrangement builds then gets cut short into some tempo increase, then the soloist comes back and you're like here we go now we're gonna get it...it hits then it goes quick tempo again. It never finishes the intended musical phrase. For those of you who know the piece its the "Vincero, Vin-ce-ro!" part. If you dont know the aria youtube it and you'll see what I mean.

From what previous posters have said, the visual adds alot to this music. Maybe this will be the first time in years that i'll prefer Phantoms visual over Phantoms music. Its still early and has time to develop/change. Excited to see them in Arizona next week!

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1

****I just listened to the show again and have figured out why I feel this way about Nessun Dorma. Usually, the piece builds until you get that huge climactic moment. This arrangement builds then gets cut short into some tempo increase, then the soloist comes back and you're like here we go now we're gonna get it...it hits then it goes quick tempo again. It never finishes the intended musical phrase.

Yes indeed. I hope they rewrite that last bit and give us the rest of Nessun Dorma at max volume, instead of skipping into what seems like a "filler" ending.

Other than that, I like the intensity! They have a fierceness in their music this year that we haven't heard from them in a couple years.

Woohoo 2012! I think it's going to be a good season. thumbup.gif

EDIT: I'm talking about from 10:40 onwards, and I bet they do change it at some point in the season. Hopefully before Atlanta! Please? For me? tongue.gif

Edited by mikespeed

over on the "guard uni" topic a PR "sewer" talks about the guard uniforms and equipment and mentions (perhaps accidently / or not) "kites" as guard equipment ... Turandot ... Chinese ...Kites ...hmm

....ah, your reading way too much into that!

I was trying to list all the stuff the sewing crew has had to put together over the last 20 years or so. Remember that huge kite that flew over the corps in....can't remember the year, maybe 89? or 93?

I'm not giving you any hints on what extra props, if any, are being made for this show.

....ah, your reading way too much into that!

I was trying to list all the stuff the sewing crew has had to put together over the last 20 years or so. Remember that huge kite that flew over the corps in....can't remember the year, maybe 89? or 93?

I'm not giving you any hints on what extra props, if any, are being made for this show.

thought I had caught you ;)

• Like 1

After listening to the video (which is in really good quality THANK YOU), I feel like there are some big differences with the writing. It's not that it's not as good as JD Shaw's, it's just it has a different feel to it. At some points, I couldn't even tell that it was Phantom playing. Is that a bad thing? Not sure yet.

But really, this show already sounds amazing so I seriously can't wait for Phantom to drop by the West Coast.

On a random side note:

I also feel like the drum break is going to be awesome visually.