Phantom Regiment 2012

So what is up with the percussion? And it seems obvious that the writing for the front ensemble is written for an ensemble that is lacking in talent. As easy as the writing is they seem to struggle.

Well, the loss of Rennick cannot be underscored enough here. I wasn't thrilled with the hire of Gwaltney. Not because he's not a solid DCI caption head, but when you lose a Rennick you need to find a more seasoned individual to replace him. I think the writing for both the front and back ensembles are a bit to be desired. I just can't imagine that the kids in the line are not able handle more than they are being given. But I'm not there so who's to say.

But clearly this is a weakness with the corps right now and it could cost them a chance at one of the top two medals this year. If things don't improve they will likely look to make a change next season after two lackluster summers, percussion-wise post-Rennick.

Well, the loss of Rennick cannot be underscored enough here. I wasn't thrilled with the hire of Gwaltney. Not because he's not a solid DCI caption head, but when you lose a Rennick you need to find a more seasoned individual to replace him. I think the writing for both the front and back ensembles are a bit to be desired. I just can't imagine that the kids in the line are not able handle more than they are being given. But I'm not there so who's to say.

But clearly this is a weakness with the corps right now and it could cost them a chance at one of the top two medals this year. If things don't improve they will likely look to make a change next season after two lackluster summers, percussion-wise post-Rennick.

Since when did medaling mean anything to Regiment?!? It's nice to have hardware and receive the reward from the judges, but who gives a #### in the long run? It will ALWAYS be about the kids performing the show on the field and their ability to reach an audience. Who cares if the judges are watching!?!

I think Gwaltney should stay at least two more years. A changing of the caption head will be doing more harm than good. You cannot build a program in anything less than four. Looking for some quick fix isn't going to happen either. I mean really...who the hell is going to come in and make it any better? The need for right now is consistency and development. The "I have to have it now" mentality will not be successful. Rennick's not coming back, nor should we wish for him to.

• Like 4

Was that an Emmert rehearsal day? I've heard those are pretty stinkin' rough.

Why is Phantom so visually clean?? Here you go lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZQKExk8q-s

PS: I came across this, not the original Youtube poster.

Wow, I didn't think someone would actually post my video onto DCP. I wasn't surprised by the criticism; it is to be expected if you want perfection at the end of the season. Being a martial arts veteran myself, I know that the constant yelling from my masters always motivated me to do better in my techniques, so I understand how these guys feel. thumbup.gif

Edited by Fobo1991

Clarification: The reason I posted this was to show the extreme attention to detail and focus of the staff and kids. The staff are just being staff. I don't even call that being mean. I call that pulling your hair out because you want with every fiber of your being and every ounce of blood beating through your heart for your kids to take it to level upon level and achieve something amazing and be all that they can be.

I apologize if this disheartened you.

I didn't find the clip mean at all. They even offer more help at the end. This stuff is par for the course, and anyone who has ever been on staff anywhere can relate to those gasket-blowing moments of having JUST spent time carefully fixing something, only to have some bonehead zone out and completely blow it on the first run. A bit of theatrics can make a repeat of that less likely. :devil:

• Like 1

I am extremely offended by the clip. It has damaged my impression that drum corps was all sunshine, rainbows and lollipops with frequent episodes of Little Bunny Frou Frou and the Teddy Bears Picnic mixed throughout.

On a realistic note, I was once part of a marching band where if something like this happened, the Director would fold the band and send everyone home.

This is mild in comparison.

Edited by LincolnV
  • Like 4

that clip was mild, polite even

And they’d be nuts to trash or fire Gwaltney, who would they get to replace him? Who is better?

I was impressed with how he stepped in and stepped up and some of his writing is pretty good this year. DCI is very old boys club and it will take him some time before he gets his props from the establishment, might even take him longer because DCI wants to show they are superior to WGI – it is a pageant after all – his line was a bit underscored last year and took most of July to click but looking whose ahead of his lines (SCV, BD, Cavies, Cadets, Bloo)…not much room up there anyway

• Like 1

Was that an Emmert rehearsal day? I've heard those are pretty stinkin' rough.

Certainly sounds like Jay to me!

On another note, there was a video made a few years back of him going all "Hulk" during a rehearsal. I've been trying to find it for a while, but a can't seem to dig it up. Does anyone know the video I'm talking about?