Are guards too good?

I was actually referring to the fan network video in this case (there are no DCI East DVDs) with the point being -- if you can see sabres in the relatively lowres streaming video, you certainly would be able to see them live.

I'm sure the sabres you saw in the DCI East video were visible to people in the stands, and by the time Allentown rolls around, any corps using sabres that had visibility problems should have corrected them by that point. However, while I may be the first person who mentioned it in this thread, I'm not the first person who has pointed out that things that are very clear in video are not always as clear when people see live shows. A camera lens is not human and focusses on specifics so it picks up things we miss. If you want a non-drum corps example, look at the world of sports. How many times do cameras pick up one thing but people in the stands see something different? The NFL may be the best example. However,the direction of this comment could begin a crazy tangent, so to keep that from happening I will concede that it is highly unlikely that a video camera, whether it be top quality or the simple video features of a point and shoot camera,would capture a group of DCI level color guard members maneuvering sabres that the audience could not see and to your more pertinent point: keep the sabres in the shows.

Edited by Tim K

OK Friends, I Wikied Mace. it seems to be authoritative. Dates from the 1200s and was a weapon The US H of R has an official Mace.

Next I will look up Baton. This could take a week to read.

K

Yup, pretty lengthy, but informative. Go there at your own schtick.

K

As I was sitting in Indy last year, watching guard after guard toss and catch, I was thinking that guard is less interesting for me now. If you've seen something often enough, it loses its effect. The guards are so good that I'm shocked if there's a drop. Do you think guards need to change to a different artistic direction?

I think they should drop and screw up more. That is much more interesting.

OK Friends, I Wikied Mace. it seems to be authoritative. Dates from the 1200s and was a weapon The US H of R has an official Mace.

Next I will look up Baton. This could take a week to read.

K

I've spent every evening this week watching WGI 2012 on FN; I'm on the tip of the iceberg! I'll see if I can squeeze in time to Wiki Mace in the 1200s lol; I laughed. That's a good thing. Thanks K :D

L

When Lois Hole was at the UofA graduation ceremonies she hugged each and every graduate as they crossed the stage. After the ceremony the man with the mace stood beside me in the aisle and said "There she goes hugging people in the aisles again and this thing is heavy!". I smiled and he smiled.

Edited by lindap