Does anyone know how the payscale for shows works now?

I remember about 10 years ago , they used to get pay based on their previous years placement. I am probably off, but I thought the top 8 were getting like $2,000 a show, then 9-17 were getting like $1,500, followed by the rest, which I can't remember how much they were supposed to be getting. If I remember right, Open Class corps were getting between $300-500, and some shows weren't even paying the small corps.

Does anyone here know offhand how much the corps are getting per show, or what the breakdown is? I am assuming the regional shows are paid higher as well?

I remember many years ago, each show used to pay according to placement at that show. Show coordinators would actually look at several shows within a 3-5 hour radius, and try to figure out where they would place against the competition at each show, and book the show which they thought would bring them the highest placement and the most money.

Here's the answer:

not enough.

• Like 3

I remember about 10 years ago , they used to get pay based on their previous years placement. I am probably off, but I thought the top 8 were getting like $2,000 a show, then 9-17 were getting like $1,500, followed by the rest, which I can't remember how much they were supposed to be getting. If I remember right, Open Class corps were getting between $300-500, and some shows weren't even paying the small corps.

Does anyone here know offhand how much the corps are getting per show, or what the breakdown is? I am assuming the regional shows are paid higher as well?

I remember many years ago, each show used to pay according to placement at that show. Show coordinators would actually look at several shows within a 3-5 hour radius, and try to figure out where they would place against the competition at each show, and book the show which they thought would bring them the highest placement and the most money.

At local shows, corps are paid based upon last year's placement. The breakdown is, generally, last year's finalists, and last year's non finalists in both Open and World Class. Last year's Open finalists make less that last year's non-finalist World class but more than last year's Open non-finalist.

The payment increases as the season goes on, such that late-season shows earn more than early-season shows, but the breakdown remains the same.

Edited by garfield

Here's the answer:

not enough.

This thought made me pause, but not for the common reason that, generally, agrees with you.

On average a corps does about 30 paid performances per season. If the corps is a top-5 corps (with a million-dollar budget), that means the corps can earn upwards of $100,000 in non-Indy-week income. That equates to about 10% of their budget. Small potatos, to be sure, but it shows that these million-dollar organizations are supported by much more than their performance fees. That's a good thing.

In general, a non-profit performing arts org that makes 50% of its income from performance is considered to be doing very well, as the income reflects "demand" by the audience willing to pay. But, in drum corps, we have organizations that are supported by much more than just ticket revenue. And these organizations have budgets for which most local performance groups would give up their eye teeth. Somehow drum corps pulls it off.

"Should they be paid more?" is a reflection of value and, surely, we here find lots of value. But how they are paid is equally important. To my eye, that they make little from gate receipts could be considered a good thing, as it shows the health of the corps is based, not on ticket sales, but on support from other organizations that feed of the talent of the activity, like sponsors and equipment suppliers.

This is, in the end, a good thing, IMO.

Here's the answer:

not enough.

A nice sentiment, but I'm not sure this is thought out. To pay the corps more, the show has to make more. Shows make money primarily from ticket sales and food sales, and usually the food goes to the venue if I am not mistaken. By suggesting that corps should make more money at shows, you might as well just suggest the shows raise ticket prices. I think ticket prices are high enough.

• Like 1

A nice sentiment, but I'm not sure this is thought out. To pay the corps more, the show has to make more. Shows make money primarily from ticket sales and food sales, and usually the food goes to the venue if I am not mistaken. By suggesting that corps should make more money at shows, you might as well just suggest the shows raise ticket prices. I think ticket prices are high enough.

ummm....yup.

Which means neither ticket prices or gate revenue is the solution. The solution comes from outside the stadium.

At local shows, corps are paid based upon last year's placement. The breakdown is, generally, last year's finalists, and last year's non finalists in both Open and World Class. Last year's Open finalists make less that last year's non-finalist World class but more than last year's Open non-finalist.

The payment increases as the season goes on, such that late-season shows earn more than early-season shows, but the breakdown remains the same.

Has it changed from when it was 1-8, etc.? I remember Don Warren telling me the cut-off was purposely not set between 12th and 13th.

ummm....yup.

Which means neither ticket prices or gate revenue is the solution. The solution comes from outside the stadium.

It's is some ways like the Reagen-esque 'supply-side economic' argument. If you lower ticket prices you can get more people through the gate, more at the concession stand, more at the souvie stand then total revenue goes up. But, what does it take - more corps performing.

At my last local show a ticket cost $30, for 3 corps, in June. Yes, they each performed twice, but heck, it was only 3 corps, for $30. If you adjust the 1972 DCI finals ticket cost ($6.00) for inflation that would be $31 today - for 12 different corps at the top of their game. And maybe an exhibition or two thrown in - IDK - I wasn't there, but there were 2 other divisions that competed.

Agree that solution is outside the stadium - we need more corps. The current model is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic (of which the 100th anniversary occurs next week; extra GE points for historical reference).

• Like 1

Fundraising idea: Open up the corps food truck outside of smaller venues and sell food to show-goers right out of the corps truck.

If only this weren't looked at as a conflict of interests, the corps could definitely benefit from something like this.

Fundraising idea: Open up the corps food truck outside of smaller venues and sell food to show-goers right out of the corps truck.

If only this weren't looked at as a conflict of interests, the corps could definitely benefit from something like this.

don't ya think its a huge conflict? Show sponsors make their money on things other than the gate. Its always been like that. There will be less and less willing to sponsor shows if they arent making money plus food trucks focus on feeding their members before moving on to the next location.