Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

I support the Cadets, I also write them a check every year. I see no reason to stop doing that. Taking away from this that you shouldn't donate to the Cadets seems like an incorrect stance to take.

Not agreeing with their competetive decisions doesn't make them worth not supporting. If that was the case, Madison would have folded years ago. :)

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken
  • Like 2

Just commenting on this...the $1,500 was donated by an alum for the express purpose of helping recruit the soloist. Why would this impact others down the road?

I am aware an alum donated the money. I am just suggesting that some might not agree with how The Cadets are spending money, theirs or others, and may alter donations in the future. I for one have volunteered and donated to YEA in the past, and have made a conscious decision to put my time and money towards other organizations.

View Postjonnyboy, on 16 April 2012 - 08:28 PM, said:

What The Cadets seem to be doing is original and a first.

False. I can't recollect another corps publicly soliciting someone to audition for a solo spot while offering a significant tuition break to the winner of the spot. Can you give me an example?

Anyone supporting them in the past may just think twice about what they are giving money towards.

Which is what exactly? An organization that auditions performers to fill a need which also happens to have a generous alumni base? Oh the horror. I didn't say that, you did. I was thinking more of someone that donates to a corps and doesn't agree with how their money is spent. That is how I would feel.

I personally think they are setting a dangerous precedent here, one that most corps can not compete with.

Are you suggesting the Cadets are the only corps out there whose alumni offer financial assistance to current members? The title of this thread seems to have fooled a number of people, yourself included. No, I am not suggesting that, and I don't think The Cadets are either. I think they are offering support to someone that is not a current member, and did not seek out to march with The Cadets when 149 other did.

"What The Cadets seem to be doing is original and a first"......this couldn't be further from the truth. I marched for free my 2nd year in another DCI finalist back in the 70's..., as I wasn't going to march, but they called me to replace a kid who couldn't do tour.....I had no money, and they called back an hour later and said I could march for free....done deal.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it has been happening for generations. However, I think your "fears" with this are probably unwarranted, as there is not a corps on the field at DCI who doesn't need the dues/fees paid by members as an integral part of their operating budget.

I am ok with you, and others, not liking it, but you are off base in saying this is something new, or unique to the Cadets.........far from it...........

GB

I think the idea proposed in the OP is a bit different than your situation. I know corps have give discounts for a number of reasons, I know late season replacements have marched free, I know special privilege is giving to special people.

I'm no DCI insider, I just read what others read. I can't for the life of me remember hearing about a corps making a public plea for a soloist of any type AND offer a monetary discount for the person that is chosen. It may happen behind closed doors, but strikes me as a game changer when it goes mainstream. I hope I am wrong.

I think they are offering support to someone that is not a current member, and did not seek out to march with The Cadets when 149 other did.[/b]

NO. They will be offering the scholarship to someone that WILL be a member (since you have to accepted in the corps to get the scholarship) and IS seeking out to march The Cadets (why else would he want to audition for the position?!). Why would it matter if the person auditioned didn't seek out Cadets before the auditioned position went open? does that really matter? It's not important and shouldn't even be a factor in deciding who is good enough to get the spot.

Also... "they" is not YEA. The article does say that "they" is an alumni that marched mello for Cadets. And I think, if someone is willing to donate money to a member that will serve an extremely important roll in the show then that this information should go public. Why wouldn't it? YEA wouldn't ban donations from alumnit to specific corps members, that's ridiculous. But apparently you think things like this are okay as long as they ARE'NT public?! Do your secret scholarship funding in secret? Please... lol

I'm no DCI insider, I just read what others read. I can't for the life of me remember hearing about a corps making a public plea for a soloist of any type AND offer a monetary discount for the person that is chosen. It may happen behind closed doors, but strikes me as a game changer when it goes mainstream. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by charlie1223

I am just suggesting that some might not agree with how The Cadets are spending money, theirs or others, and may alter donations in the future.

That's their prerogative but don't see how this relates in this situation since The Cadets don't appear to spending any money in this instance of an alumni offering a scholarship to an open audition position in The Cadets...

Well, this I don't agree with. I'm a firm believer that if someone has exceptional talent beyond others, they deserve to rewarded for it (including but not limited to financial rewards). It may seem noble to think that it's all a "level playing field" but the truth is, if one is better, the playing field is already not level.

I just feel like a lot of money is wasted on people who don't need it. Yes, talented people should be rewarded. That reward does not have to be monetary.

I feel like financial need should weigh a lot more heavily when deciding scholarships. But this isn't really the topic at hand.

And I know I can't force you to change your opinion..

Edited by kickhaltsforlife

Good thing the $1500 is coming from an alum then!

But curious as to where your knowledge of what the YEA organization can and cannot afford came from.

I do know the money is coming from an alum. I never suggested it wasn't.

Just so we are clear... I don't care what the Cadets do to recruit members. I'm just not a fan of how they are doing it. I'm not a fan of much that George does. I like some of the shows the Cadets put out, including last year. I don't care for how George runs his drum corps. Do I know all the inner workings and details? No. But I know enough people that drank the kool aid... and I know those who did, and then got it out of their system.

But hey... they need to fill their horn line somehow... and how they go about that is their choice. And I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread disagrees at all with that.

And I think some well spent money could be used on a PR person....

Could Cadets have written the press release better? Sure, but then they pretty much stink up the joint with every press release they write. That's not new.

Truth. They've been botching press releases and news articles since yea.org went live in 1996ish. Really awful.