Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

Doesn't matter if it's drum corps or college. It's an educational activity - and a PRIVATE organization at that. You can rebut whatever you want but you won't change my mind on this. Nor will you change the fact that The Cadets have every right to offer this scholarship to the soloist of their choice. Your opinion does not even matter in this. It's their choice. The Cadets can do with this whatever they please. There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering a scholarship for ANY educational activity. Period.

Go ahead - rebutt.

(yes, the double "t" was deliberate)

So much for following directions, you never did respond to my post, but tried to put words in my mouth and insult me instead?

I'll address your post anyway: It does matter that this is drumcorps and not college. Colleges have a long standing history of offering talent based scholarships. Those that donate and support colleges know this going in. What The Cadets seem to be doing is original and a first. Anyone supporting them in the past may just think twice about what they are giving money towards. I personally think they are setting a dangerous precedent here, one that most corps can not compete with.

I am not trying to change anyone's mind, including yours. I am just stating my opinion.

I am not disputing that The Cadets have the right to offer a scholarship to the person of their choice, I did not say that. I said I don't like it.

Your comment that my opinion doesn't matter is funny, seeing that this is a forum for discussion. Does anyone's opinion really matter here? Please don't answer that.

You do say that you think there is nothing wrong with offering a scholarship for any educational activity. I respect your opinion, but in this case I just disagree.

As for your little joke about rebut spelled rebutt. I get it. If I was a better writer and a bit more witty I would try and craft a comeback. I'll probably think of something tomorrow.

Perhaps they HAD one of the current members lined up, but then they showed him the costume they had in mind for him....

bosantalandlead.jpg

I'm not bent out of shape by the scholarship offer... I just believe there may be other problems if it's a month before move-ins and they can't nail down a soloist who is already in the ranks. And they feel the need to publicize it to people outside the corps. A corps of the Cadets' caliber should be able to take care of this all in house. No need to a press release. But it seems like they are having problems yet again filling their ranks. Surprising after such a well liked championship year.

It shouldn't be taboo for any organization of any caliber to make a public statement about their need for more talented players. And then people wonder why drumcorps isn't bigger when we only expect that the teams do all their recruiting under the table, "in house", and from people only already familiar with drumcorps so corps don't show a supposed "weakness".

The WORST thing people can do about this is look at this effort as a glass half empty scenario and try to speculate on all the negative reasons for the auditions and scholarships. The speculators here are the most annoying of the bunch and are clearly more willing to criticize any effort to produce the highest quality performance (for their own enjoyment no less) than to support an initiative to value talent and exceptional players in a society that increasingly sees less value in exceptional musicianship.

Instead everyone should see this as an opportunity to spread drumcorps to more people, especially those not currently interested and have a different background other than marching band.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

So much for following directions, you never did respond to my post, but tried to put words in my mouth and insult me instead?

I'll address your post anyway: It does matter that this is drumcorps and not college. Colleges have a long standing history of offering talent based scholarships. Those that donate and support colleges know this going in. What The Cadets seem to be doing is original and a first. Anyone supporting them in the past may just think twice about what they are giving money towards. I personally think they are setting a dangerous precedent here, one that most corps can not compete with.

I am not trying to change anyone's mind, including yours. I am just stating my opinion.

I am not disputing that The Cadets have the right to offer a scholarship to the person of their choice, I did not say that. I said I don't like it.

Your comment that my opinion doesn't matter is funny, seeing that this is a forum for discussion. Does anyone's opinion really matter here? Please don't answer that.

You do say that you think there is nothing wrong with offering a scholarship for any educational activity. I respect your opinion, but in this case I just disagree.

As for your little joke about rebut spelled rebutt. I get it. If I was a better writer and a bit more witty I would try and craft a comeback. I'll probably think of something tomorrow.

"What The Cadets seem to be doing is original and a first"......this couldn't be further from the truth. I marched for free my 2nd year in another DCI finalist back in the 70's..., as I wasn't going to march, but they called me to replace a kid who couldn't do tour.....I had no money, and they called back an hour later and said I could march for free....done deal.

Right, wrong, or indifferent, it has been happening for generations. However, I think your "fears" with this are probably unwarranted, as there is not a corps on the field at DCI who doesn't need the dues/fees paid by members as an integral part of their operating budget.

I am ok with you, and others, not liking it, but you are off base in saying this is something new, or unique to the Cadets.........far from it...........

GB

• Like 1

Hahaha, I don't think the Cadets or YEA are in any position to be paying anyone extra money.

Good thing the $1500 is coming from an alum then!

But curious as to where your knowledge of what the YEA organization can and cannot afford came from.

• Like 1

I'm not bent out of shape by the scholarship offer... I just believe there may be other problems if it's a month before move-ins and they can't nail down a soloist who is already in the ranks. And they feel the need to publicize it to people outside the corps. A corps of the Cadets' caliber should be able to take care of this all in house. No need to a press release. But it seems like they are having problems yet again filling their ranks. Surprising after such a well liked championship year.

(nice quick edit by the way... i was about to comment pre-edit.

Ahhh another year, another Cadets controversy.

I love how so many people are drawing unfounded conclusions from a press release. Cadets have been doing press releases on all different types of things in reference to their shows for years. Apparently, from what the article states, they're trying to get people to audition to provide a certain element to the show for the audience. It would be nice for once if people could just take things at face value until after the season starts for once. But no, NO year would be complete without another "controversy".

• Like 2

I'm still trying to figure out why this is a big deal. If Cadets want a mello soloist, why the heck wouldn't they go recruit one? If the only way they are going to get that kind of talent at this time of year is to offer an incentive, so what? And again, why does that matter to anyone except the recruit and the corps?

Could Cadets have written the press release better? Sure, but then they pretty much stink up the joint with every press release they write. That's not new.

• Like 2

nah, they'll just raise fees more for fall shows

Hmmmm...an alum donated the $$$; how does that impact fall show fees at all? Let us assume for a minute that YEA! did intend to pass the $1,500 on to the host bands of their shows, just to engage in fantasy...it would come to what, about $10 per host?

Or lets assume they decided to pass it on to bands that are participating in USBands shows in this fantasy-land. It might add $1.47 to the cost per season for a band.

• Like 1

Anyone supporting them in the past may just think twice about what they are giving money towards.

Just commenting on this...the $1,500 was donated by an alum for the express purpose of helping recruit the soloist. Why would this impact others down the road?

• Like 1

What The Cadets seem to be doing is original and a first.

False.

Anyone supporting them in the past may just think twice about what they are giving money towards.

Which is what exactly? An organization that auditions performers to fill a need which also happens to have a generous alumni base? Oh the horror.

I personally think they are setting a dangerous precedent here, one that most corps can not compete with.

Are you suggesting the Cadets are the only corps out there whose alumni offer financial assistance to current members? The title of this thread seems to have fooled a number of people, yourself included.

• Like 1