The Loudest Hornline of 2011?

Multiple answers are allowed :)  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which hornlines do you think were the loudest in 2011? (multiple answers allowed)

Judging from your signature, you marched Madison in 09? Last year you marched Pioneer? Nothing loaded here, just trying to figure out your interesting signature credits. Deliberately off topic, I know. Sorry. Just curious.

i'm guessing since his name is 'platesfan' , maybe he was a cymbal player and went to pioneer after madison cut their cymbal line?

• Like 1

1334954051[/url]' post='3133852']

Ugh, it's that point of view again... tongue.gif

Yes, you can play in tune and it certain does help you to play loud when you're not having wave lengths fighting to cancel one another out; at the end of the day there's more to playing loud than just being in tune. That's why so many people complained about the Cavaliers not playing loud enough earlier last decade.

I think Crown does more than just play in tune well. The DVD method is very good & Matt Harloff sounds like a great teacher, but the approach is more than tuning. It's about goof timing of attacks and breathing correctly as well. Ugh, I'm sure the approach has been refined a little since the last time I was taught that approach... tongue.gif

They're loud 'cause they're good! thumbup.gif

I don't disagree with your last. But I think there are other lines who have good attacks , breathing, etc but fall down when in comes to playing in tune.

In fact the phase interference really becomes a big issue as you approach but don't quite reach unity. Just MHO. I am certainly not discounting all the other things they do right.

As for the Cavies, that was just a conscious choice on the part of their staff to never play loud.

OTOH there are too many lines who play outside their ability to control their horns and it just ain't pretty.

Maybe on championship weekend they have an extra trophy/competition for sound, volume, loudness.

Every corps that enters the competition must be located in the same spot as the other corps, around the 50 yard line.

Think of it as the slam dunk nba contest.

Maybe on championship weekend they have an extra trophy/competition for sound, volume, loudness.

Every corps that enters the competition must be located in the same spot as the other corps, around the 50 yard line.

Think of it as the slam dunk nba contest.

I guess this would be doable, but you'd have to include "style points" (ah, here comes those subjective judges again) for intonation, choice of material, etc. in addition to pure dB measurements. Otherwise, the result might be loud, but not pretty--IMHO it needs to be both.

• Like 1

Still attacking my credibility, witnessed by hundreds, while not providing your data from the recording/editors that you talked about before you mysteriously edited them away?

Also, getting different numbers from different venues, different spots in the facilities, different equipment, and different times of the season hardly discredits my data. That's called variation.

And yes, Cadets and Madison DO force their sounds. You take it in the butt hurt way, but you shouldn't. Like I said, and have said all along, these corps have a proprietary sound. Thats GOOD not bad. I LIKE that they don't sound like everyone else. I also said that they sound louder to me personally. The Cadets sound different, broad, forced. Their instrumentation isn't vastly different than anyone elses, that's just the way they sound. If you can't hear that, then I wonder what you hear when you listen to hornlines. That's the Cadets sound. As long as they do it consistently from player to player, I don't see an issue.

I do give the Cadets a hard time, but they are my favorite corps outside of my alma maters. I support Cadets members, support the Cadets monetarily, and enjoy listening to the Cadets. I also see no issues with the way they educate their members, or how they produce their sounds---I just think the recent trend for many corps is to make a more concert characteristic sound. The Cadets, on the other hand (Madison, too), are holding on to their traditional sounds more than the other groups are. Crown and Cavaliers in the last 10 years have changed, vastly, how we listen and appreciate hornlines. There are merits to both formulas.

Don't confuse my trolling, flaming, allegiance stomping, dark humor, and general delinquency to mean that I'm just making crap up. There is a vast difference. DCP is my outlet for fun, but in real life I'm normal, educated, and not a troll/flamer/etc.

From someone who is actually a member of the hornline, I know for a fact that we do not " FORCE" our sound out, only for effect purpose have we ever( See last note before Drum solo) used "forced" sounds. And i personally do NOT care who thinks we are loud, and who thinks we are not. Volume is all perception. I am trained to ALWAYS play with a good sound. Donnie's memorable quote and those who have worked under him would agree: "Always play with your best sound. Look good, and SOUND good.

Now, I am not going to argue anything because it all doesnt really matter. I understand how you have explained your perception, however, I do not think that "forced" sounds is the word that best fits for the way I have understood your post. Now this is all my perception of your post, but i think you are saying Scouts have that unique "balls to the wall" sound. If that isn't right then maybe you are trying to say Madison Scouts have that "Madison Scouts" sound.

Lastly, I am a normal drum corps dude, so from one normal person to another: I hope you are having a good day. I just got off work, so Im just catching up on my DCP before bed. Best Wishes.

I have to agree with a comment made earlier. Madison seems loud, but a finger on a synth can create a massive amount of added volume. And yes they seemed to be forcing it a lot. That's not a bash seeing as I marched there, I'm just saying they don't have the talent to build the full sound like Phantom yet.

Well, I am not too sure about this, and Mr. Felts please correct me if i am wrong, but their synth(s) players used alot of piano sounds in the show last year. I personally know of there being a "bassline" played in absences of the tubas but in terms of a synth making them sound louder than what they(we) really are: I personally think not. and Im not bashing you or anythng because you are a brother.

I have to agree with a comment made earlier. Madison seems loud, but a finger on a synth can create a massive amount of added volume. And yes they seemed to be forcing it a lot. That's not a bash seeing as I marched there, I'm just saying they don't have the talent to build the full sound like Phantom yet.

Why would you even want them to sound like Phantom? Let Madison sound like Madison. That symphonic sound doesn't fit them well.

And that's another reason why I did this :rock: at GeneralTsoChicken's data. He had Cavies and Phantom at a tie. Phantom I'll buy. Cavies, while I would not neccesarily doubt the DB reading itself with the consideration of electronics and percussion, but Cavies are not even close to being even one of the loudest hornlines. Much less THE loudest.

Did you hear Cavaliers in '11 at all?

You realize that the style, execution, and ensemble sound has little or no correlation with that of 01-09, right? They were MUCH louder than they've been for over 10 years.

That sound was already well engrained within SCV by the time you heard Cavaliers live in '11, if you did.

This would be like saying '01 Phantom Regiment was loud, because they were loud in 96. Or saying 2001 Cadets had a great mello line because they did in 1998.

• Like 2

OTOH there are too many lines who play outside their ability to control their horns and it just ain't pretty.

I don't think I've heard those corps in a LONG time! tongue.gif

• Like 2