Carolina Crown 2012

Thank you Mr. Dixon. Nothing Crown will do to this show means ANYTHING unless they are able to get it clean by finals. It doesn't matter how hard it is or what the potential is when you get to finals week. It only matters how clean the show is and is it performed well. BD and Cadets are masters at this.

If this is true then why is there a Composition box and a Performance box on the sheets. There is no reason why someone can't win a championship without winning the performance box if the judges do the correct thing with thier numbers. Also if you look at the recap from last night it is already happening. Crown's spread in the two boxes are much larger then other corps and even with BD's being fliped in several captions. I would say Crown is in a great position to keep closing up thier performance scores since they have the most room to grow according to the judges numbers right now. With this many weeks left to go I would hate to be outscoring the composition box.

• Like 3

Win or lose, I really appreciate what Crown is doing this season. Everyone has (rightly so) pointed out how difficult the drill is in the opener and closer, but I think one of the things that makes this show remarkable is the amount of exposure and risks taken throughout. Antiphonal percussion in Fanfare as well as the featured guard tosses just before are examples. Also there's the horn book in general (particularly in Fanfare), choreographed movement throughout the ensemble, the large field coverage, etc. If any of these things are not executed precisely, they will be obvious to the audience and of course the judges. That's true risk, and I'm so glad that Crown is attempting it, and in doing so pushing the entire activity to another level (IMO of course!).

That's the point of drum corps to me!

• Like 4

Corbin- I have some questions for you.

1. What is it that Crown can do to make YOU happy?

2. You were vocal (last year) about getting rid of the percussion, marching and guard staff…do you want to run those folks off now also as they are not up to your standards of show design and product cleaning?

3. Who do you want to run off this year? The Design Team for putting together a too challenging program for the current members?

4. Since you are NOT HAPPY with Crown’s direction- what music and drill DO YOU want to see Crown do?

5. As an alumni of the corps why don’t you take your displeasure to Mr. Smith and/ or Mr. Coats instead of airing in a public forum?

I will state once again- BE PART OF THE SOLUTION AND NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM

Now back to your regularly scheduled program………

• Like 9

I saw them in Houston in Friday for the first and only time (didn't view/listen to the show ahead of time on purpose) and thought that it's an extremely aggressive show. Hornline flat out rocks. The drill is very much "run and gun" drum corps, more than anyone else is trying this year. I liked the show a lot - I think there's a lot in there that I missed on one viewing. (And the guard's Thor-style thunder punch was classic!) I think whether they win or not will depend on how clean the drill gets. Drill and guard impacts visual scores which (whether they admit it or not) impacts GE. Musically, I think they can beat BD.

Mike

• Like 1

I saw them in Houston in Friday for the first and only time (didn't view/listen to the show ahead of time on purpose) and thought that it's an extremely aggressive show. Hornline flat out rocks. The drill is very much "run and gun" drum corps, more than anyone else is trying this year. I liked the show a lot - I think there's a lot in there that I missed on one viewing. (And the guard's Thor-style thunder punch was classic!) I think whether they win or not will depend on how clean the drill gets. Drill and guard impacts visual scores which (whether they admit it or not) impacts GE. Musically, I think they can beat BD.

Mike

When in the show is this? (and when did they add it?)

Corbin- I have some questions for you.

1. What is it that Crown can do to make YOU happy?

2. You were vocal (last year) about getting rid of the percussion, marching and guard staff…do you want to run those folks off now also as they are not up to your standards of show design and product cleaning?

3. Who do you want to run off this year? The Design Team for putting together a too challenging program for the current members?

4. Since you are NOT HAPPY with Crown’s direction- what music and drill DO YOU want to see Crown do?

5. As an alumni of the corps why don’t you take your displeasure to Mr. Smith and/ or Mr. Coats instead of airing in a public forum?

I will state once again- BE PART OF THE SOLUTION AND NOT PART OF THE PROBLEM

Now back to your regularly scheduled program………

I feel little need to respond to what seem like demands rather than dialogue. If my opinion is somewhat upsetting, please feel free to ignore it. No offense intended, but if my opinions are a problem for you or anyone else, you can freely block them.

Since splat has decided to ask these seemingly demanding questions on DCP, let me give you some background between this person and me. We marched together in Crown 22 years ago from 1990-92. We did not speak frequently during this time, nor during the off-seasons. I perceived splat as neither friend nor foe. Since 92, we have not significantly spoken to each other on personal terms in 20 years. So, after not conversing for 20 years, why should I feel pressure from splat to answer any questions? We are not even acquaintances any more. We have both changed and have different perspections of the DCI and probably other things as well. I bare no ill-will again splat, but simply wish him to cease this type of dialogue.

Splat, I sincerely wish you nothing but the best, but this will be the last conversation I will have with you, as I am blocking all posts and conversations with you. Please attempt to view these comments in a neutral context. I am not your friend, foe, or otherwise.

Thank you.

Edited by Corbin
  • Like 3