A tour question for vets, staff and volunteers

First of all, please accept my apologies if this is in the wrong forum, so please feel free to move it if necessary. :smile:

I'm most likely going to be touring with a corps this summer, and I'm in the process of shopping around for gear. Specifically, something to sleep on. I've looked at both cots and air mattresses, and while this particular cot seems virtually indestructible and kinda comfy for a big guy such as myself (6'2", 320 lbs), it's no doubt going to be a major hassle to tote around, given the amount of video equipment I'm going to be bringing, as well.

So, I'm looking at an air mattress. However, given my size and the spectacularly wide variety of models, I want to make sure I get one that can hold up to the demands of a drum corps tour.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :worthy:

Visit your areas discount stores and see what they have. Should be able to find one around $50. You'll probably need a queen size and get one that requires electricity. No batteries to deal with. They fold up fairly small and are easy to cary.

I wish my advice could be more positive... but honestly, they don't really make an air mattress that can withstand the rigors of drum corps AND the use by big guys like us. I've tried year in and year out, and almost always end up with a sleeping bag, on the floor.

Depending on how that cot folds up, it may be your best option.

I went thru 5 of the air mattresses, following good reviews and good warranties. None ever panned out. My normal sized friends, never had any issues with most of theirs.

• Like 2

I wish my advice could be more positive... but honestly, they don't really make an air mattress that can withstand the rigors of drum corps AND the use by big guys like us. I've tried year in and year out, and almost always end up with a sleeping bag, on the floor.Depending on how that cot folds up, it may be your best option.I went thru 5 of the air mattresses, following good reviews and good warranties. None ever panned out. My normal sized friends, never had any issues with most of theirs.

Yeah, I'm beginning to think you're right about the cot. I'd rather get some exercise dragging the thing on and off the RV then having to end up on the floor.

Funny, I can't even remember being uncomfortable, kickin it old skool on the floor, but I'm pretty sure I don't wanna try it again. :tongue:

First of all, please accept my apologies if this is in the wrong forum, so please feel free to move it if necessary. :smile:

I'm most likely going to be touring with a corps this summer, and I'm in the process of shopping around for gear. Specifically, something to sleep on. I've looked at both cots and air mattresses, and while this particular cot seems virtually indestructible and kinda comfy for a big guy such as myself (6'2", 320 lbs), it's no doubt going to be a major hassle to tote around, given the amount of video equipment I'm going to be bringing, as well.

So, I'm looking at an air mattress. However, given my size and the spectacularly wide variety of models, I want to make sure I get one that can hold up to the demands of a drum corps tour.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :worthy:

Man, just buy a self-inflating thermarest mattress. Inflates in 30 seconds, no outlet required. You'll be asleep before half the other dudes are even unpacked.

Also, if you aren't able to sleep literally anywhere while on tour, you're probably not working hard enough. :)

• Like 1

I had awful luck with air mattresses.

I've seen people with great success with those self inflating mattresses though. They are surprisingly comfortable.

Not sure what space you have for storage but a regular single mattress might work.

You might even be able to pass it as extra padding/protection for the front ensemble equipment... ph34r.gif

If all else fails make sure the housing sites are 5 minutes away from a cheap motel.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

I've been touring with drum corps for the last 8 years. For the last 5 years I've used one mattress. I've weighed anywhere from 200 to 267 lbs. Now that I'm 195 lbs, even better for the longevity of the Air mattress! Do not use your air mattress as a crash mat! Do not free fall on your air mattress at 320 lbs! The first mattress is the one I have now. The second one is more heavy duty!

http://www.google.co...Dw&ved=0CBUQrhI

http://www.google.co...ed=0CK4BEPMCMAU

It rolls up nicely into my big gym bag!thumbup.gif but, is a little heavy.

Edited by boxingfred