2012 Blue Devils

This conversation smacks of the very reason ever exists in the first place......people not paying attention, dulled by expectations and assuming they understand...then grinding away with a bad decision that has a life its own, and gobbling its young. Sound current?

Is this a metaphor for the BD Marchers thremselves ? If so, you might be onto something here that I had not considered, as I read this from you and apply it to the BD Marchers.

• Like 1

DaDa or DooDoo... in this case it will be June till we know... :tongue:

• Like 2

Heh.

For all the navel-gazing that the show description throws out, I imagine they'll get that in somewhere along the way.

I'm already not looking forward to the inevitable "this drum corps show is deep, dude" arguments.

Hint: Duchamp didn't have to worry about a score, folks. :lol:

Post of the thread so far...

LOL

Before I head off to have pizza with the kids, I want to say...

This thread, and you people, are like a stiff shot of scotch at the end of a hard day.

With a bride in a french maid's outfit handing it to you.

The discussion's always fun when the intellect shows up.

Fun stuff.

Thanks to all.

(Plan, you kill me.)

:tongue:

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

Is this a metaphor for the BD Marchers thremselves ? If so, you might be onto something here that I had not considered, as I read this from you and apply it to the BD Marchers.

Oh yeah, BD Marchers are under enormous duress! blink.gif They are consumed by thoughtless and careless designers and staff who force them to drudge through shows that go nowhere and spew them out at the end of the season with nothing to show for it! Prolly why they have such a hard time filling their ranks every year.

Actually, I know you understand BRASSO ... but pokin' ol' Plan with a stick is such pure ambrosia. rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Before I head off to have pizza with the kids, I want to say...

This thread, and you people, are like a stiff shot of scotch at the end of a hard day.

With a bride in a french maid's outfit handing it to you.

The discussion's always fun when the intellect shows up.

Fun stuff.

Thanks to all.

(Plan, you kill me.)

:tongue:

Agreed! Just don't give the scotch to the kids.

Again, with the "mass" anything. That is so not-dada....it's more along the lines of daduh! :tongue:

Oh my friend, the show was there two years ago (and the two previous years)....but one can only lead a horse to water, you can't make him clap (i.e. sitting on their hooves). Simply stated: popularity is no measure of talent, quality or art....that's why most classic artists died poor. It's for this reason that nearly all American Idol winners are faint memories now (forgotten, vaporized)..no substance. True longevity exists in art when we see beyond the popular norms. In my view, this is exactly where BD is trying to pull design....kicking and screaming.

Are we talking "P-iss Christ" here?

Look at the trend of the recent BD show themes....Absurdity/Risking, Depression/Shell Shock, Reflection/Disturbing, Burt?? (hey, Cesario insisted), Dada/Culture Re-imagined.......these are designers who are looking through a different prism altogether; The only way they are able to see the same "yesterday" that so many DCPers do (and even long for) is through that glass and darkly. They might even suggest that if you want BD 96....go get the video! (please ignore the snarkyness of that, but that may be the sentiment).

You seem to have an in-depth knowledge of the inner workings of the BD staff- member mind. I question whether they discount their history to the extent you suggest.

So, they ignore '96, when people threw babies during the show? They don't care what the fans think? It's not important to them in the least, as long as they "advance" the activity? What does that avant-gard attitude portray of drum corps to the average marching band viewer who, apparently, is the target as the future of the activity?

I'm not going to Indy to see "P-iss Christ". I think BD cares about that fact.

• Like 1

Doesn't exactly sound like "Dress right, DRESS!" to me (inside humor for us military types :rolleyes: ). No G, this will be a design that inspires intuition and counter-culture (not a very far leap from the structured world of Drum Corps)....... and they have the chops to do it!

"Dress CENTER dress", where I stood in the Navy line. :tongue:

"Counter-culture"! Yea! Occupy the drum corps field! (Yawn)

How does one "inspire" intuition? Intuition either is, or isn't, right?