Connecticut Hurricanes - Uniform Change

LOL, being taller is over rated (for those of you who have met me :tongue: )...

Now looking bad ###ed is another thing altogether..... Glad the DMs and HG wil keep the traditional...

you nailed it Jim,...........honestly, when our Alumni corps was purchasing our dress uniforms back in 99, we took a hard look at getting lids like the Hurcs/Gestapo hats simply because they were bad a##,..............

• Like 1

LOL, being taller is over rated (for those of you who have met me :tongue: )...

Now looking bad ###ed is another thing altogether..... Glad the DMs and HG wil keep the traditional...

Jim, I have a great deal of difficulty seeing you as "bad-###ed" - regardless of headgear.

You're just too nice a guy. Now maybe a gladiator's helmet might work, but I rather doubt it - unless you have sword too.

The Sombreros and Kickpleats make the visual package more difficult to clean, but they are both reasons I joined the Caballeros.

That and screaming sops...

"Sans Kickpleats?":

1993 was "The Year" of "No Kickpleats" (And "Hostess Swirl") and the "Muchacho" vests.

Thankfully by 1994 the "Pleats" wre back and the vests retired.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

When a "package" works, it scores. The Cabs package has worked for me since I first saw it in 1956.... The Look, The Sound.

St. Andrew Bridgemen in traditional unis with shakos worked. Bridgemen "package" after 1975 also worked.

Adding shakos to The Hurcs uni is not new, and it does not change the package. It tweeks it.

If you go back to the days of Cabs/Sky battles, having both corps swap cover for one show (Sky in sombreros, Cabs in Red Shakos) would put them in a dead heat.......for FOURTH place ! Everyone would just be too UNCOMFORTABLE..... including Sky and Cabs. We are, after all, creatures of habit.

Joe D.

It's going to take awhile getting used to seeing the new headgear, but what the hell, nobody marks time forever.

"Sans Kickpleats?":

1993 was "The Year" of "No Kickpleats" (And "Hostess Swirl") and the "Muchacho" vests.

Thankfully by 1994 the "Pleats" were back and the vests retired.

Elphaba

I remember seeing the Cabs that year and wondered, "What were they thinking?" I believe (though not at all certain) it was a decision driven by prevailing judges' opinions about streamlining the look of the uniform, and 'updating' the corps' image. Apparently, it just didn't have the intended effect or results. Sanity and good sense returned the following year, as Elphaba indicated.

In the case of this latest move by the Hurricanes, I am reminded of the 1965 season when the Bucs switched to shakos. As I recall, it was even a front-page story in the old Drum Corps News. The new headgear made for a good-looking image overall, but eventually they returned to the aussies as part of subsequent uniform changes, returning to their earlier image. I can't help but wonder if the same thing may happen eventually with the Hurcs. I can't say I dislike it, but it does make them look like some other corps now, not the Hurcs I remember competing against. But then, like so many corps, their uniform has changed several times in the intervening the years anyway.

Edited by cabalumnidrummer
  • Like 1

"Sans Kickpleats?":

Thankfully by 1994 the "Pleats" wre back and the vests retired.

Elphaba

I hear the pleats are gone again or way modified or something to that sort..could be rumor who knows but did come from someone close....we'll see

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there were other years when the Hurricanes wore shakos. The new uniforms look great, but being a traditionalist, they make you look like one of many other drum corps; and not like the Hurricanes. I prefer the style of head wear that is unique to the Hurricanes and Reilly.

You are correct. We wore them with our 1990-1995 uniforms. At various years times after that as well, but I can't remember exact which without pulling up pictures.

I think the new uni is GREAT. It will give the corps a complete new appearance on the field , psych the members and maintain the tradition.

Now if we could just convince the Cabs to update their style and go with shakos.

OHHH Jim, better chance of seeing a pig fly lol lol.