Best Max Volume Brass Sounds

What are your favorite FF+ DCI brass sounds throughout the years? List up to 3 by "decade": 70's, 80's, 90's, and 2000-present. Name the corps, the year, and the point(s) in the show/song selection - be as descriptive as possible. What is it about that particular sound that makes you gravitate towards it or why it appeals to you? Don't pick on anyone's choices, please. Keep it positive about this activity that we all love. :smile:

1979 Spirit. It has never been bested.

• Like 6

84 Madison (from a spectator's POV) during the push in "Cats."

84 BD final warmup (from a player's POV)...absolutely the loudest and least distorted sound I've ever produced....we scared Garfield's battery!!

Bb era....2007 Cadets....JESUS, they were loud Loud LOUD...about as loud as their feet were clean (enough to eat off of)

• Like 2

2002 Cavaliers. The best ensemble sound in the history of drum corps. So much so, it doesn't sound like drum corps.

Seconded. The best intonation ever heard on a football field + possibly perfect tuning = perfect storm of brass awesome.

For me, let's see...

1976 Blue Devils (yeah, even over 75 Scouts)

1986 Blue Devils

1990 Star of Indiana (96 Phantom is a close runner-up)

2002 Cavaliers

Tough to narrow "a section"; basically every FF peak in each of those shows is stellar.

All great responses IMO!

For the 80's, how about Spirit '80 (especially LIBM), the opening fanfare of Star '87, and the end of the opener for Phantom '89.

For the 90's, maybe Madison '95 (most of the show), Phantom '96 building the arc and chord in the closer, and SCV '99 at various points in the show. Madison '99 and Magic '98 (which was a great playing 13th place corps) get honorable mention.

Since 2000, let's try '07 PR towards the end of Airplanes on the Roof starting with the upper brass trill followed by the low brass entry - me likey, '08 CC with the big hit and feature (Sweeney Todd) after Candide, and '11 PR starting in Elsa's as the two fronts together with the kick-halt all the way to the end.

I did not see any shows live in the 70's, but I do like BD '78, Madison '75-'78, Spirit '78-'79, and Guardsmen '79 from recordings.

There are TONS of other great examples. What comes to mind for YOU?

• Like 1

I don't have very many '70's recordings, but I really like the push in Madison '75 in The Way We Were. '78, '79, '80 Spirit are also obvious choices.

'86 BD during Chuck Corea accenting the screamers. Something about that "stock" full ensemble hits along with rolls on pretty much every percussion instrument in the stadium.

'95 Madison in Malaga, post screamer trio, prior to rotating line

'07 Cadets, in the Blue Shades no voice section

'11 BD, Crown, Phantom - all were at a show in Texas, and I got to hear all of them on the 50 just at the top of the first tier of seating. God it was so loud.

How are we not talking about the end of Phantom 96 yet!?!?

Phantom '96 building the arc and chord in the closer,

Oops! :P