Spring Preview Review

W, as usual, a great review from you!

I agree with you about the Bucs' battery percussion. Like you, I was a brass player (Ok... you still are, I have long since given it up...LOL)... but the Bucs' battery on stage at this show was absolutely outstanding.

I'm sure they will find a lot of stuff to work on... but they are in great shape for this early in the season.

Thanks! And I know the percussion people know what's right and what's not... the last gik-di-gik wasn't in line with the daze-d-daze, etc. but they're splendid musicians. To me that's what matters. Many a tight drum line over the years has had no life or musicality, it's what separates the best from the rest.

Dub,

YOu give yourself a little too little credit in terms of your percussion knowledge. Sure you don't all the buzzwords, phrases, hybrids etc, butyou're trained enough to talk intelligently about percusion coming from a brass background. Even if you were/are a blaritone

:tongue:

That said...knowing the percussion crew at Bucs, and the programs history, I have no doubts they will again be one of the lead dogs one that sheet.

Dub,

Even if you were/are a blaritone

:tongue:

That said...knowing the percussion crew at Bucs, and the programs history, I have no doubts they will again be one of the lead dogs one that sheet.

Yes. I am a Barelytone/Blaritone guy. I say this to be funny, but also quite seriously, it's what God wanted me to do. It makes me happy to pick up the horn and play. Other Bari people will read this and truly understand. :worthy:

I even understood what Jim Prime, Senior meant when someone said he used the word "Baritonality" on a tape. It's just one of those things and a way of life. :thumbup:

I apologize for not having this up this weekend, but I traveled for Mother's Day and the PC was broken where I was staying, so I had no chance to finish the review.

The last corps on were the show hosts, the Reading Buccanners. I know many people are curious as to hwow they're doing. As a student of DCA history- and someone having taken a direct part of some of DCA's wierder moments as Tony will attest to, we know that sometimes after a corps has had an extended period of success or reaches some goal that membership and staff can turn over to a large extent, that a corps can fall back and end up re-trenching. Some of the questions on DCP have been along those lines. I can answer them, as can anyone who watched this performance.

"Weirder" is to put it mildly.... shutup.gif

Another great review W..... THANKS! worthy.gif

Yes. I am a Barelytone/Blaritone guy. I say this to be funny, but also quite seriously, it's what God wanted me to do. It makes me happy to pick up the horn and play. Other Bari people will read this and truly understand. :worthy:

I even understood what Jim Prime, Senior meant when someone said he used the word "Baritonality" on a tape. It's just one of those things and a way of life. :thumbup:

I also am at a similar "disadvantage", having played Baritone. devil.gif

Unlike Fran (giving up the French Horn voluntarily) or you, who is still playing, I was asked to put mine back in the case... w00t.gif I always tell everyone that Gene Bennett Jr (Sun's Drill writer/Instructor) said to me: "It's not your playing Tony, we've seen you march" LOL (disclaimer: Though I tell everyone Gene Bennett Jr said that to me in 1975 when Donna and I joined the Sunrisers, the truth is I was offered a position as Guard Capt and Asst DM by Corps Director Mike Delorenzo Sr. ....

As for "understanding Percussion".... Unless working with Dennis Delucia and Dave China as well working with the DL and conducting the Sunrisers for the years I did qualifies as having ANY knowledge I'm also clueless. tongue.gif

Thanks so much Big W for your review of Fusion. We're really excited about the show and while we have our work ahead of us, I really believe we are off to a very good start.

The members are loving "The Hit" and it shows.

It's always nice to read your reviews!!

See you all on the 50!!!

The Selden Cadets Alumni want to thank the great Reading Bucaneer's for giving us the opportunity to perform at their show. We all had a great time and got the opportunity to see some old friends and meet some new ones!

Thank you to the Big W for his great review and kind words....we much appreciated them :thumbup:

Irene

Thanks for the review.

I second your sentiment on Fusion. The only thing that kept them from a higher score last year was overall design (my opinion). They have a smart staff, a talented membership and an in-your-face attitude that's going to catch plenty of open class corps off-guard.

Yes. One could fairly say they were a bit too "careful" last year. Sometimes, you have a group that's capable of more than was planned for, and you end up scrambling to enhance content to show that fact.

I think this year they're showing there's some talent and ability there. If the panels really listen to it and get their heads around it, I think they'll hear there's some great stuff in the package this year.

As a percussion person, I will say that the Buccs haven't missed a beat and as always will be a handful to deal with this season. Having been a part of Fusion last season, I may be a bit biased but, I see great things on the horizon for them this year.

• Like 2