PreTour Sights and Sounds!

The great...

A real nice feature from a local news channel. Heard some show music in there as well....very nice...thank you SOA :smile:

The not so great....(you knew this was coming :tongue: )

And just to save time...this is not directed at the corps members of SOA....

No mention at all that SOA (And the groups they compete against) spend the summer performing before thousands and thousands of drum corps fans. All of this mention of practice, artistic expression and performance levels...I guess we get a glimpse of what a corps priorities are. Doctor of this and doctor of that....how about some simple communication regarding the great (never to be forgotten) experience members will have performing for thousands and thousands of fans. I guess fans is a four letter word these days.

Just trying to keep it real....

Congratulations. You just answered the question of why drum corps don't release more stuff during the off-season.

Just FYI, that story (and video) were done by an independent news organization, not by Spirit of Atlanta. The reporter put them together from, mostly likely, much more material. As a reporter, I can tell you that it's not that uncommon to interview someone for 20 or 30 minutes, then only be able to use three or four sentences from them. And yes, as the writer, I would be the ones picking which part of the interview to use.

So, I'll say it again...the corps didn't pick what was used in the story and video, so why should that say diddly-squat about priorities of the corps??? :doh:

Just really trying to keep it real... :smile:

• Like 4

Congratulations. You just answered the question of why drum corps don't release more stuff during the off-season.

Just FYI, that story (and video) were done by an independent news organization, not by Spirit of Atlanta. The reporter put them together from, mostly likely, much more material. As a reporter, I can tell you that it's not that uncommon to interview someone for 20 or 30 minutes, then only be able to use three or four sentences from them. And yes, as the writer, I would be the ones picking which part of the interview to use.

So, I'll say it again...the corps didn't pick what was used in the story and video, so why should that say diddly-squat about priorities of the corps??? :doh:

Thanks for the insight from a reporters perspective. I know some people who work in tv and i am aware that far more material is recorded (be it audio or video) than what is actually used. Not a reporter...but I would 'think' that if an organization reported they travel the country performing for thousands of fans...this would be news worthy and make it in to the report. Maybe not ?

Please elaborate....not sure of the point you are making.....

thnks

Thanks for the insight from a reporters perspective. I know some people who work in tv and i am aware that far more material is recorded (be it audio or video) than what is actually used. Not a reporter...but I would 'think' that if an organization reported they travel the country performing for thousands of fans...this would be news worthy and make it in to the report. Maybe not ?

thnks

not to speak for oldsoprano, but I interpreted his point as "no matter what they do they get criticized"

... admittedly, even if it is by only a small portion of DCP users. What is the upside for the corps? Obviously there is an upside for the fans, but let's be honest... the people sitting on DCP in the winter looking for updates will be there in the summer buying souvies, whether or not a corps puts out updates between August and April. A corps can easily look at this and ask itself what the tangible positives are for releasing info, and the answer is (obviously), that the positives don't outweigh the negatives. This is why corps are quiet all winter.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 2

The reason " why Drum Corps don't release more stuff during the offseason ".... is because the Corps Directors are concerned about the possibility of someone on DCP saying something critical about it " ?

The Cadets last offseason released early in the Winter that they'd be a uniform change with marchers so that it would more appropriately fit the theme in their view.. With that announcement, we had 52 pages of thread discussion on DCP where 90% of posters bemoaned the fact that the uniform " abandonment " ( as one poster angrily called it ) was almost an act of defiant sacrilege to the time honored classic uniform. Even a few Cadets Alums chimed in and expressed their outrage. Undaunted, The Cadets proceeded to play frequent video clips of their camps... early and often. Later in April they played a full run through of their music for the upcoming season.

Now, what was the final net result of the release of early info last season by the Cadets ? None. No effect whatsoever. They won the DCI Championship. They had a wonderful show and got a great hand at Finals for their well deserved Title. What criticisms did we hear on DCP after July regarding the uniform change by the Cadets ? None. Not a single criticism anywhere once the season began. What did The Cadets learn about the release of offseason info to fans ? Well, they probably learned that the release of info has no bearing whatsoever on placements, nor on how the show will be received by fans and judges alike, when it really matters... at Championships. Did The Cadets clamp down on offseson info to fans in this offseason ? No. What did we learn as fans the last 24 months regarding the release of offseason info from Corps ? Well, we learned that such release ultimately has no effect on placements nor on how the show will be received by fans come August when it really matters. We also learned that regretably most Corps do not follow The Cadets model of early and often communication with fans in the offseason with video clips of camps, info on the theme, and so forth. We also learned that no justifiable reason has been put forth by the other Corps as to why there is a black out of show music video clips... of more than 10 seconds of duration...in the offseason given that even if there might be some criticism of such videos or info in the offseason, in the end, it doesn't mean a thing. Nobody remembers the thread on DCP in the offseason on the Cadets announcement that they'd be a change in their uniform for 2011. By August, it all made sense. Kudos to The Cadets for understanding the importance of keeping fans involved, interested, informed on the goings on with their Corps in the offseason. When it comes to buying sovies at shows in 2012, I'll remember those few Corps that took the time to play us some music from camps. As for the others ? I'll take the same approach they took with me in the offseason when I never saw them. They won't see me either around their sovie truck and table this summer.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

From the corps staff and members I know, they couldn't care less about what's said on DCP. Most think it's laughable at best.

Well, all the MORE reason to release info, music clips, etc in the offseason, right ? Absent a " copywrights" issue, there is no valid excuse that I'm aware of. And what " copywrights issue " prevents us from watching ( for just one example ) a video clip of the Percussion line playing the show ? In an activity crying out for good PR, a blackout of info on Drum Corps for 10 out of the 12 months of the year makes little sense at all, imo. Even College football teams play a spring exhibition game open to the public. And their coaches and players usually don't pay much attention to whatever it is the fans of the team are saying about the staff and the 17-22 year old players either. So I don't get the info blackout on Corps these days at all.

Edited by BRASSO

Well, all the MORE reason to release info, music clips, etc in the offseason, right ? Absent a " copywrights" issue, there is no valid excuse that I'm aware of. And what " copywrights issue " prevents us from watching ( for just one example ) a video clip of the Percussion line playing the show ? In an activity crying out for good PR, a blackout of info on Drum Corps for 10 out of the 12 months of the year makes little sense at all, imo. Even College football teams play a spring exhibition game open to the public. And their coaches usually don't pay much attention to whatever it is the fans of the team are saying about the team and the 17-22 year old players either. So I don't get the info blackout on Corps these days at all.

Who knows why the news is as scant as it is this year? Most corps like to put out high quality videos done by professional or semi-professional videographers. This costs money to do. Now with SocialCam and all the free media programs available, why don't they do this on their own? Who knows?!? Maybe more pre-season suspense will make more people come to shows?

Most corps like to put out high quality videos done by professional or semi-professional videographers. This costs money to do.

Not necessarily. Spirit has a group of alums who are all amazingly talented professional videographers, and they regularly release video updates on the corps' website. This off-season alone, there have been five updates by those guys. And, they do it for the corps free of charge. They do it for the love of the corps and the activity.

Of course, I realize that not all corps are as fortunate to have such video production talent among their dedicated alums.

Edited by oldsoprano

thnks

Well, if I had been writing the piece, I would have included that fact in my story, but then, I have been one of those thousands of fans for some 40 years. But I can also see how it would have slipped right by someone not so familiar with the activity.

As for the point I was making at the beginning of my earlier post, I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and I apologize for leaving off a smiley face.

FYI...the Bluecoats will be presenting a standstill performance of their 2012 production "UnMasqued" tonight (6/5) at 7:00 for the "Concert On The Green" series in Granville, Ohio. This will be held on the lawn of the Fine Arts Quad at Denison University. As you come into Granville take a left and go west on Broadway about 2 blocks.

I think DCI fans are in for a big treat with the Bluecoats this year. Having watched them for a couple of weeks I can say this is fast becoming my favorite 'Coats show yet.