PreTour Sights and Sounds!

I just saw Blue Devils run through their show tonight and all I can say is WOW = innovation, something never seen or heard before and creativity that sets the DCI standard. Looking like here comes #15!!!! Go BD

• Like 4

I just saw Blue Devils run through their show tonight and all I can say is WOW = innovation, something never seen or heard before and creativity that sets the DCI standard. Looking like here comes #15!!!! Go BD

But the real question is.....was it at the sacrifice of accessibility?

This show I'm VERY cautiously excited about, if it's what I think it can be I have a feeling I'm going to be VERY pleased, but at the same time I'm kinda nervous it won't live up to what I'm thinking it will be.

• Like 3

Getting pumped for this show!!! It's going to be immensely bad ###.

I get the feeling this is going to be another classic show from The Cadets!

Edited by jaylogan

BD has an amazing show! So far they don't seem to have any props but do have recording samples of voices saying things that actually goes with the show.

:thumbdown: Unfortunately the one sure thing corps can do to completely ruin a show for me is to incorporate voice samples. Cadets 09 ruined a surefire winner with samples from the West Side Story movie, and in 2011, I think it was Spirit who I was unable to enjoy, and then definitely Oregon Crusaders just destroyed an otherwise incredible show for me thanks to the pre-recorded voice. Amplified voice I generally dislike, especially when it's overused, but it can be effective and fun. But pre-recorded voice? There's zero magic in that. Why am I at a live music show if I'm just going to hear tape recordings? It's insulting to the performers, IMO.

I hope to love BD's show this year (as I do every year). There's a lot of great source material there. But then I thought "Say a Little Prayer for You" was a sure thing last year and they managed to disappoint me.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 3

Re why should corps release updates throughout the off-season:

If there's zero impact as some have said, then I would expect them to spend their time or their volunteers' time on other tasks, as there's always an unlimited supply of work to be done. And some corps have apparently made this choice.

But the other possibility, which I think is the more likely one, is that while releasing updates during the off-season takes time away from other activities and has little if any impact on the final results of the championship, it does serve a very important purpose: development. Development of future members, development of donors, development of volunteers, development of relationships with the new worldwide community made possible by the Internet.

Perhaps if every corps released an equal amount of information, there would be no net effect, but take a corps like Cadets who are doing daily updates including actual audio and visual sneak peeks, versus a corps like Crown that is, best I can tell, releasing next to nothing. All other things being equal, a generic drum corps fan looking for details in the off-season are going to grow more attached to Cadets, are going to be more likely to enjoy their show, are going to feel closer to the Cadets, and are going to spend more with the Cadets, they're going to donate more to the Cadets, they're going to make seeing shows with the Cadets a priority, they're going to volunteer more for the Cadets.

Maybe the effect is small, but I'm sure it exists. Is it worth the real and opportunity costs of spending the time to produce the updates on a daily basis? I guess that's the question.

• Like 1

:thumbdown: Unfortunately the one sure thing corps can do to completely ruin a show for me is to incorporate voice samples. Cadets 09 ruined a surefire winner with samples from the West Side Story movie, and in 2011, I think it was Spirit who I was unable to enjoy, and then definitely Oregon Crusaders just destroyed an otherwise incredible show for me thanks to the pre-recorded voice. Amplified voice I generally dislike, especially when it's overused, but it can be effective and fun. But pre-recorded voice? There's zero magic in that. Why am I at a live music show if I'm just going to hear tape recordings? It's insulting to the performers, IMO.

I hope to love BD's show this year (as I do every year). There's a lot of great source material there. But then I thought "Say a Little Prayer for You" was a sure thing last year and they managed to disappoint me.

So you're letting a few seconds of voice ruin an 11-13 minute show?

Wow. I knew drum corps people could be picky, but...wow.

• Like 4

take a corps like Cadets who are doing daily updates including actual audio and visual sneak peeks, versus a corps like Crown that is, best I can tell, releasing next to nothing. All other things being equal, a generic drum corps fan looking for details in the off-season are going to grow more attached to Cadets, are going to be more likely to enjoy their show, are going to feel closer to the Cadets, and are going to spend more with the Cadets, they're going to donate more to the Cadets, they're going to make seeing shows with the Cadets a priority, they're going to volunteer more for the Cadets.

That really depends a lot on whether they like the Cadets' show, doesn't it? All the early exposure in the world wouldn't have made Sarah Jones more appealing in 2008. And a lack of YouTube videos in May isn't going to stop very many people from going nuts for Fanfare for the Common Man this summer.

• Like 1