Blue Devils or Phantom Regiment?

PhanCademy

"G" Lines:

Blasts from the past:

Most in tune: Argonne Rebels, Sandra Opies Schoolhouse.

Wall of Sound: Madison Scouts Jim Alvord & Ray Baumgart's game changer.

Changed the activity: St Vincents Cadets & Jim Donnelly. Actually played MUSIC for the first time.

Personal Fave: St Catherine's Queensmen: Bill Hayes, Joe Genero & John Sasso big smooth sound.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

Playing notes on the page - BD

Playing Music - Phantom

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Playing notes on the page - BD

Playing Music - Phantom

I agree with this sentiment. While BD has (at least lately) a fuller sound and a certain level of technical proficiency, Regiment's hornline has a musicality that BD just can't match. And I agree with another previous post; if Regiment weren't on Jupiters, their sound would be more of a contender for that title.

Edited by poprocks
  • Like 1

I'd have to agree the the couple of previous posts. I'm not the world's #1 fan of BD's shows. However, where they outdo corps that I personally thought had better shows is execution. BD are very clean and precise, including with their sound. They have amazing technical execution. However, I prefer Phantom's music and the overall sound they have. They tend to sound very rich and symphonic, if not always as tight as BD.

I'm very much a drum corps rookie, though, so my opinion may not be worth much.

BD- 23 Jim Ott trophies total from 1972 to 2011.

From 1974 to 2004, PR had one. I am unsure how many they have gained from 2005 to 2011. :wink: Judges do look at fullness and maturity of timbre by the way, as well as the musicality of the section.

So according to the panels-- and the scores-- this really isn't even a discussion.....

I'm suprised PR hasn't more of them, but facts are facts.

• Like 1

I would rather say that they are different rather then saying one is better then the other. I think their approaches aren't

comparable.

Edited by OleMissRebel

BD- 23 Jim Ott trophies total from 1972 to 2011.

From 1974 to 2004, PR had one. I am unsure how many they have gained from 2005 to 2011. :wink: Judges do look at fullness and maturity of timbre by the way, as well as the musicality of the section.

So according to the panels-- and the scores-- this really isn't even a discussion.....

I'm suprised PR hasn't more of them, but facts are facts.

PR had 2 during that time. 89 and 96.