names of corps

Hershey Chocolatiers

The Belles of St. Mary's

Brain Tree Braves

Personally, I think The Thing is a great name. Nice and unique. Then again, for me, the difference between a great name and a bad one is rather blurry.

I always thought there should be a corps from Seattle called Puget Sound.

Actually, it's the "Braintree Braves" from Braintree, Massachusetts. Or did you already know that and still not like it? That's a possibility too.... :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oddest: The Thing - Huh?

Ahh, The Thing. You had to have been there. First, the early 70's were a period of ecclectisism across the state of music in general, as well as in many other 'things.' The Thing sort of characterized that aspect of the period, as well as the "Let's give it a whirl" attitude of the time. Now, what was The Thing? The Thing was the result of a hasty merger between two drum corps from southeastern Wisconsin that were in the midst of the saddening drum corps depopulation that had started to take place during that period (sub-title: The Baby Boomers Grow Up). The two corps were the St. Patricks Imperials of Milwaukee and the Cedarburg Thunderbolts. Cedarburg is maybe a half-hour northeast of Milwaukee on the shores of Lake Michigan. So, new uniforms for the new, um, Thing? Nope. Make do with what we have. And that meant some parts of the corps wore the green, plaid Scottish kilts of the St. Patrick Imperials and other corps sections wore the dark blue and red cadet-style uniforms of the Thunderbolts. Close your eyes and imagine. A visual clash in style and color. Some members, um, bolted away from the organization in horror I seem to recall, but many stayed and made the best of it -- and with pride. That's why they were The Thing. And that Thing was energetic and entertaining. I especially remember the low brass, a musical drum line, and snares that could shed some serious wood, including an unforgattable fellow named Tom Newman who marched the whole summer with his leg in a cast. Would love to see a whole thread here on fan and alumni recollections of The Thing! The corps evolved into what today is Pioneer.

Incidentally, one of my favorite corps names came from the one of the Thunderbolts neighbors up the Lake Michigan Coast: The Windjammers. They were from Port Washington, WI. The name is geographically relevant and there's a musical twist to the name, too (no they didn't play flutes and clarinets, George, so substitute your own concept of wind). They did jam.

And I have to agree with the person that voted for Offensive Lions. It's irresistable. :)

For the record, it was the Los Angeles Chinese Imperial Dragons, which makes more sense. thanks for the info on The Thing, I ran across that one on Robert Albanese's rather large list (44 downloaded pages) of drum corps recordings and was wondering.......also, Offensive Lions, one must wonder! ----and on the above mentioned list I found (wait for it)........THE SILVER BEAVERS!!!!

Surely there's more, but those stuck out!

RON HOUSLEY

my favorite was and always will be The Night Raiders! That name is just too cool!

I remember hearing about "The Thing" all I ever knew is they were fom either Wis. or Ill. Now I know.

I just love 60's Drum corps where could I get some recordings other than the Troopers & SCV ones have those.

Is there a site where I could just listen?

• 3 weeks later...

What about the beloved Fresno Ferns? :lol:

El Guapo

My favorite name and it's a kick ### name

27th Lancers of Revere, Mass.

Fun fact -- unless I'm grossly mistaken, there isn't one corps competing in North America today that has a color other than blue in their name. (And no, the "Green Machine" doesn't count. LOL)

teal sound. teal is a color.

carolina gold. gold is a color

Fun fact -- unless I'm grossly mistaken, there isn't one corps competing in North America today that has a color other than blue in their name.  (And no, the "Green Machine" doesn't count.  LOL)

True there aren't any currently on the field, but there have been:

Black Knights, Illinois

Black Gold, Oklahoma

Black Watch, Washington

Black Watch, New Jersey

Just in case someone is considering starting a colorful corps, here are a few names that I came up with:

The Silver Foxes (Senior Corps from Florida)

The Golden Steers (somewhere in Texas)

The Purple Lancers (sponsored by Prince)

and my favorite

The Pink Flamingos (from Miami)

the purple lancers made finals in the 70's they were from new york