Openings!

what some dont realise how guard affects everything in todays drum corps. I have had drum and horn people commenting on guard things like the musicality, has the guard maxed what is being played, have certain opportunities been missed visually to the product musically. Its a huge bleed over and can be frustrating. It goes to show you how visual our activity is. It doesnt matter how the numbers are, were or will be split , because of bleed over captions and because we are a visual activity it will always carry alot of weight.

yet the visual side rarely if ever gives credit to how musical demand may affect visual performance. but if you dont mention physical demand on musical performance, god help you

well, since you can now mic a small ensemble in DCI, perhaps we will eventually see 12 horns, 110 guard, and 40 percussion. I mean, if guard is better visually and you don't sacrifice any volume, why not, right?

IMO there is nothing you can do with 46 guard that you can't do with 40.

well....maybe yes, maybe no.

you can have 2 different weapons lines going and as well as flags...and hey add the 6 in, you can have dance too!

I'm a visual guy and I say A-Freakin'-MEN to that !!!

Visual judges need to recognize simultaneous music responsibilities and they never, ever do. A lot of the times it's training (as in lack of) but a lot of the times it's just caption ego. They feel they're the most important aspect of the show and that's the way they judge.

a lot of times....they dont have musical background. I would say over half of the visual side of the activity judging wise has more guard experience than music experience

a lot of times....they dont have musical background. I would say over half of the visual side of the activity judging wise has more guard experience than music experience

Read my post a few up the chain! :thumbup:

We actually agree on something!! :tongue:

In the years I have housed kids I have personally seen 4 kids quit. The biggest shock in 1999 scared me to death. When we got up in the morning he wasn't here, talk about panic, fortunately, I was able to find on the computer he had taken a cab to the bus terminal.

After that experience I made it abundantly clear if anyone planned to leave to tell me first and I would make sure they got to wherever they wanted to go. The next dropped out in 2009, he was 16-years-old and was in way over his head, he wasn’t mature enough to handle the pressure.

Last year I had 2 leave after the 2nd day. Three had come together from a small high school in OK, as a buddy thing. It was 90*, they came after their graduation and had to catch up. The girl, come to find out, had a boyfriend she decided she couldn’t live without. The second boy literally got talked into leaving with her, he told BK he couldn't handle it, and the third came close. The boy that stayed is like family to me now and is welcomed every year. The boy that left called a week later saying he had made the biggest mistake of his life, in drum corps you don’t get a chance to come and go. At least I don’t believe most corps allow it.

Holes have to be filled. In 2001 the Blue Knights had lost one of their horn players due to injury. A kid had come to his little- I’m talking K-12-high school-(in Iowa, I think), to watch them practice. He said he wished he could do that someday, be careful what you wish for, the kid was on the bus the next day. He loved it!

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom
  • Like 4

Well said Tricia. You know corps are not at fault for decisions of individuals. Each corps has it's own way of operating and thus through the camps potential members learn what to expect as they're auditioning. Maybe some corps don't give an experience desired by an individual, but more often than not it's a personal issue that's the reason for the spots opening up. I think a lot of times HS kids think they're ready without truly knowing what they are doing. The closest thing that they can relate to is hs band which despite how good a program is it does not mimic the work required for any World Class Corps. Also younger kids get in and as Tricia said start to miss friends and girlfriends and then leave. Injuries, family emergencies and other reasons always persist unfortunately, but this is an issue for all time not just now. I remember Phantom and Cadets having spots open in June of '97 and '98. This will always be the case as we're.all human and life is different person to person. I don't think this is going to or has hurt drum corps at all. In fact corps now institute an alternate program which helps with the issue and also gives the corps and the alternate a chance to be mutually benificial! Just food for thought!:)

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

• Like 1