Openings!

As we all read on DCP and other sites the amount of open positions for almost each section of almost every drum corps in the country we must ask why? In my humble opinion this will create an even bigger problem down the road.

First - Filling your corps with 150 is fine but be smart about where your numbers are going. Can we really say that 80 brass is going to make a bigger impact than 72 or 74? No, but having 42 to 46 in your guard will, plus lets add some more front ensemble and cymbal lines to help get to the 150. Watching video from the 80's, 90's and thru 2007 most top 10 corps had 60 to 72 brass and I think they did very well!

Second - Once corps are at the mercy of members to fill holes they don't pay the full tuition or a significantly deduced fee. Members are smart, college kids are smart, if they have any talent they can hang on the fence all winter long and hook up with a top 12 corps in June for a fraction of the cost. This could become a snowball effect if we are not careful!

Jim

• Like 1

This has been going on FAR before the rase of 150 members (even far before the raise of 138 or whatever it was after 128). Corps have seemingly had to fill holes at the "last minute" ever since I've followed drum corps in the early 90's (and by 'last minute' thats up to & including mid/late July)

• Like 2

Stuff happens.

Injury, deciding it's not for you, school, girlfriend, money (obviously a huge one), family, etc... Regardless of what holes pop up, there are always people who wish they could march DCI that are staying home. There have been people filling holes the last week of tour and the corps seems to do just fine.

• Like 1

As we all read on DCP and other sites the amount of open positions for almost each section of almost every drum corps in the country we must ask why? In my humble opinion this will create an even bigger problem down the road.

First - Filling your corps with 150 is fine but be smart about where your numbers are going. Can we really say that 80 brass is going to make a bigger impact than 72 or 74? No, but having 42 to 46 in your guard will, plus lets add some more front ensemble and cymbal lines to help get to the 150. Watching video from the 80's, 90's and thru 2007 most top 10 corps had 60 to 72 brass and I think they did very well!

Second - Once corps are at the mercy of members to fill holes they don't pay the full tuition or a significantly deduced fee. Members are smart, college kids are smart, if they have any talent they can hang on the fence all winter long and hook up with a top 12 corps in June for a fraction of the cost. This could become a snowball effect if we are not careful!

Jim

I would say most kids are not going to wait until summer, and the ones that do typically don't really have any motive for doing so. I don't think anyone would waste the chance to march with their favorite/local/desired corps by waiting until June and then HOPING a spot opens up.

As far as holes, there are hundreds of reasons holes open up. Physical problems/injuries, emotional problems, financial situations, travel issues, school related issue, and the list goes on. It is definitely sad to see people have to drop out for any reason, but as for the corps this is definitely not anything new, or anything that will ruin a corps. And as for reduced fee, the members that have dropped out have usually paid the camp fees already, so the corps has already picked up some of that "reduced" income.

Jim

The last thing we need is MORE front ensemble or guard really...

Some will argue that the front ensemble is already too loud and unbalanced, especially with amplification...

Some guards have gotten too big, and they can not do as much due to overcrowding... Guards need room!

I could see adding a cymbal line.

• Like 6

This has been going on FAR before the rase of 150 members (even far before the raise of 138 or whatever it was after 128). Corps have seemingly had to fill holes at the "last minute" ever since I've followed drum corps in the early 90's (and by 'last minute' thats up to & including mid/late July)

because this has always happened, but now the internet is becoming method of choice for finding these new members so we all see it.

These two posts sum it up nicely!

• Has nothing to do with 150.
  • Has always been going on.
  • Intertubes makes it more visible.

Well said on each point!

These two posts sum it up nicely!

• Has nothing to do with 150.
  • Has always been going on.
  • Intertubes makes it more visible.

Well said on each point!

This will be confirmed once and for all in the future when someone reopens this thread rather than start a new one!

Interweb hypes all! If you don't believe it, googlize it!

HH