Cadets 2011 opener

Starting about 16 seconds in. Am I the only one who didn't know how Cadets made this sound? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Starting about 16 seconds in. Am I the only one who didn't know how Cadets made this sound? :ph34r:

Looks like it's made naturally and only amplified instead of played on a synth...

which will give you more insight into the effect.
  • Like 1

I love how great pit sections have gotten over the years! Especially now that my son is going to be pit captain for his high school drumline which is taught by the BDB pit staff!

after I cooked for BD in 87 I went to the awards ceremony that year in November and a whole table of drummer were doing that at one point. It was hilarious.

I didn't realize it either, or figured it was just for show anyway.

Also, it's amazing how much more you hear when you watch the players...

Yeah I knew they used those to make that sound. In fact, on the finals video, you can see the glasses standing by, and since I saw Peter Griffin make the same sounds on family guy using glasses as well, I knew that's the only thing that could make those sounds.

• Like 2

If Regiment adopted this type of sound, this could be their warm-up.....

It is actually written in the original piece (Angels) to use the glasses. I think two or three, all filled to different levels to sound pitches.

It's a neat effect, I know Ticheli has used it, Steven Bryant, can't think of others right now.

In a concert hall it projects quite well even without amplification. Of course they would need to amplify it outside... but that is a great argument for pit amplification. I don't know many who are arguing against that anymore though...

But amplification has expanded IMO what corps can do creatively with different instruments. Say Cavies 06... all acoustic, synths weren't legal until 09. I thought they utilized the pit better than anyone else with making effective sounds related to the theme. Much more interesting than pressing a button, eh?