Pre-Tour 2012 Predictions

I've seen clips of Scouts, Cadets, PR, BK, Crown(!) and Cavies.

This is going to be a good year. I'm looking into a flight to a big show...

Edited by Cop
  • Like 2

I've seen clips of Scouts, Cadets and Cavies.

This is going to be a good year. I'm looking into a flight to a big show...

Agree ! I don't think I've seen anything from anyone that worried me. Everyone seems to be on their game this summer.

I see Academy much higher maybe 7th

It's just not going to happen, there is this concept within the judging community that scares all judges. It's called slotting (*cue Twighlight Zone music). Slotting which affects all corps below the top 8. One instance I recall is the 2010 Finals Placements. I believe Blue Stars had a better product and I believed that their brass section was much better overall. Looking back at my 2010 Finals DVD, I see that the Blue Stars were placed 8th by a tenth of a point behind SCV - that's just ridiculous. This is the reason why non-g8 corps will have a hard time moving up. In addition to this, the 8th spot in the G8 is currently a "floater" position as I would like to call it. There are several corps that are fighting for this spot (much like the heated battle for 12th every year) and even if a non-traditional top 8 corps were to make it into the top 8, the chances of them beating one of the lower G8 corps (bluecoats, SCV at this current time) are really quite slim. Judges are honest to goodness afraid of putting good corps above other traditionally high-placing corps because they might fear the reaction from others (this is my theory at least). From what I've seen, a name means A LOT in DCI.

No offense to the Academy, they are a good corps, but they haven't even made finals yet and they have to beat out a lot of solid corps above them.

Edited by TimbreDeBrass
  • Like 4

I agree to an extent about slotting.... No question it happens and once a corps is "locked" into a spot, the highest caption scores for that corps drop to make sure of it. I dont however believe it's as impossible as u say to beat one of the more traditional G8 corps. We will not see corps 1-7 stay in spots 1-7 for eternity and that's the nature of it. Madison, Phantom, SCV all had slip ups in the 90s or 00s. Corps like Gmen, Boston, BK, Bluecoats and Crown all have made top 6 apperances in years past or currently. It's not unthinkable to see new blood in the upper tier but Academy will have to earn it's due and make finals consistently before a top 6-7 finish is possible. More likely to see BAC. Madison, BK or even BStars in top 7 before Academy....

Wes P

• Like 3

1. BLUECOATS

2. SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

3. CAVALIERS

4. CAROLINA CROWN

5. BLUE DEVILS

6. CADETS

7. PHANTOM REGIMENT

(top 7 in that order)

• Like 2

PREDICTIONS for 2012: