Why Applaud in the Theater?

First, it was great to finally see some drum corps (in the theater) instead of just talking about it!

Secondly, I've been to a bunch of these theater events now (both the previews and Quarterfinals), and for the life of me I can't figure out the phenomenon of applauding after the show is finished in the theater. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for applauding for a great performance in person.

When people applaud after an individual show in the theater, am I the only one who wants to jump up and scream "THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU"??

If so, can someone please explain why?

• Like 7

First, it was great to finally see some drum corps (in the theater) instead of just talking about it!

Secondly, I've been to a bunch of these theater events now (both the previews and Quarterfinals), and for the life of me I can't figure out the phenomenon of applauding after the show is finished in the theater. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for applauding for a great performance in person.

When people applaud after an individual show in the theater, am I the only one who wants to jump up and scream "THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU"??

Sometimes I applaud, and even cry, when watching drum corps sitting alone in front of my computer.

It's spontaneous, I guess.

Others text. I applaud.

And it's for me, and because I can. It's not for the corps, they already got theirs.

• Like 2

Do you realize how much emotion drum corps tends to draw out of people? Speaking for myself, it's not just giving credit to the performers for their achievements, but it's also about how the show makes you feel. I applauded watching my own show on DVD after the season ended in 2000.

• Like 3

My rationale is that the movie theater staff and management CAN hear you. If I were running a theater I would note a one-off event that attracted a vociferous and enthusiastic crowd would likely draw good repeat business, and remember that the next year when the option to show the event came up again.

• Like 4

Why not applaud, if you see/hear something you like?

I've applauded great golf shots on TV... applauded great moments in movies at the theater... applauded award winners at the Tony Awards while watching the show on TV. Why not applaud for a drum corps show, even though "they can't hear us"?

And if you are ever at a theater I'm at... and I applaud for something and you yell at me "THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU"... I'm going to come over and dump the rest of my popcorn and beverage onto your lap. :ph34r:

• Like 9

Not a pointless thread at all (just a pointless response, I guess). I honestly have wondered about this and wanted to see what others thought.

I guess I just don't see why it matters. Some people get excited I guess. It seems like a silly question when everyone is just out to have a good time and be entertained. Sorry I came off harsh.

And if you are ever at a theater I'm at... and I applaud for something and you yell at me "THEY CAN'T HEAR YOU"... I'm going to come over and dump the rest of my popcorn and beverage onto your lap. :ph34r:

Then you are EXACTLY the type of person that I want to yell that at - thank you for contributing to the discussion, and have a good night.

• Like 3