Cavaliers in Trouble?

My personal taste is very much against corps like the Blue Devils and Cadets ... sloppy marchers who "park and bark"

I don't want to pick on the OP especially, but I always wonder whether people who say things like this have ever watched a BD visual block? It's fine to say you don't like the content of BD's drill (I usually like the content of Cavies & Cadets drill a lot more) but their technique and feet are fantastic. Check it out sometime if they ever rehearse near you!

I don't want to pick on the OP especially, but I always wonder whether people who say things like this have ever watched a BD visual block? It's fine to say you don't like the content of BD's drill (I usually like the content of Cavies & Cadets drill a lot more) but their technique and feet are fantastic. Check it out sometime if they ever rehearse near you!

Or just watch any finals show in the last decade or more...

2009 I remember them just looking amazing. Could care less for the drill... but their feet have been amazing for quite some time now.

Both Cavaliers and BD have amazing visual packages. When I was in the corps the vis staff would compare us to BD. When I spoke to an old friend who recently aged out, he told me they'd compare them to us.

Doesn't really have much to do with the topic, but I thought it was neat that both corps recognized the strengths of the other corps, and used that to help motivate them.

• Like 2

So after reading this whole thread, I have come up with some conclusions, which also happen to apply to DCP in general.

• Everyone thinks they are right.
  • Everyone thinks every corps should cater to their specific wants and needs.
  • Most people forget that these performers are young adults having the times of their lives participating in one of the most physically and mentally challenging activities.
  • Every season is a new season with new members and new staff. The one thing that doesn't change are the names of the corps, but most things do indeed change every season, thus comparing this year to any previous year (especially with the added variable of a new judging system) renders your argument flawed.
  • Spreads are semi-relevant but cannot be completely trusted.
  • I can't remember the purpose of this list anymore.
  • Rambling some more.
  • The score is now 1-1 in the Germany-Greece match.
  • Oh wait, drum corps...

MOVING RIGHT ALONG, one of my favorite posts thus far:

I'm going to compare what Hook'Em (really, though... Gig 'Em) just talked about to any other competitive sport.

In track, one of the best races is the 1600M Relay (4x400M, Mile Relay, whatever). Most competitive track squads have anywhere from 8-12 meets per season (indoor or outdoor, not combined). Better coaches don't put the same kids in the relay every meet. They change kids out, change up the order, coach a little bit, etc. The same can be said with swimming.

Drum corps can be filed in this manner, too. The better corps are going to go stagger things. They add in new bits and pieces ever so often; every show is a different show (for the most part, being that something has indeed changed since the last show). The activity is incredibly fluid, but most people wish it were more like molasses, whereas others see it to be water (or more liberal yet, air). Imagine the morale boost in members' eyes, too, if/when such an idea does work as intended. Seeing a 14-point jump in just two weeks (say from 66 to 80, theoretically) makes you feel like what you're doing, how you're rehearsing, is actually worthwhile. The Cavalier staff isn't stupid, however rather cavalier, incredibly talented, and intelligent. So are the members.

The best summary has been said at least twenty times already:

It's only June. Mid-June at that. Chill, y'all.

This post is more interesting:

cfiles26633.jpg

Thats alright... I got a team now to cheer for in the SEC.

Happy that you liked my post. :thumbup:

• Like 1

The Cavaliers will be fine. They will make the show gel and improve all season like they always do. If not finishing in the top three means you are "in trouble" then a bunch of other corps should just throw in the towel, right?

I get the point, it isn't where they want to be but although I didn't care for the show at all on first view I bet it will be much more impressive shortly.

Everyone's pointing out my remarks about BD and Cadets being sloppy marchers. That's cool if you disagree, but saying "you lost all credibility" is hilarious. Almost as hilarious as pointing to judges' scores to say they're good marchers.

I can specifically remember BD's Godfather show being the sloppiest "top corps" show I had seen in a LONG time. I don't care what 2 or 3 field judges said, it was just not good. They have great players, but haven't figured out how to play while marching IMO. My complaints about the Cadets might be design-related, but their transitions seem to be all over the place, and the only time I see their shapes look good is when they inevitably do 2-3 company fronts each year.

Anyway, sorry if my opinions grate you guys, but there's no need to get crazy about it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, who's ready to eat crow? I know there's a week left, but the Cavs are currently in 7th place with an 86.5

The Cavs got 8th place in 1984. Since then they have only been out of the Top 5 ONCE, with a 7th place finish (92.8) in 1997.

I'm not claiming I knew "for a fact" that this would happen, but all of the people saying "it's only June blah blah blah" clearly did not see the negative developments/changes that happens with the Cavs this year.

... or, do some people out there honestly think they will jump 8-10 points starting tonight in Allentown? lol

• Like 3

So, who's ready to eat crow? I know there's a week left, but the Cavs are currently in 7th place with an 86.5

Nearly FOUR POINTS behind the Bluecoats in 6th place (already over 90), but only 0.05 ahead of the Scouts in 8th and 0.4 ahead of Boston in 9th.

I said they'd be 6th-8th in June, two months before Finals. I'm saying they'll be 6th-8th in August, one week before Finals.

I'll also make another prediction right now: Cavaliers aren't breaking 90 this season. Put me down for 89.15, 8th place, next Saturday night in Indianapolis.

• Like 2

... or, do some people out there honestly think they will jump 8-10 points starting tonight in Allentown? lol

I think the corps is in danger...of finishing ahead of a number of corps that had expected to knock them off at the end of the season.

Any finish within the top-8 is higher than earlier speculation among many. The season doesn't seem that long, but it's long enough for lots of things to happen along the way.

No matter what one thinks of the show, credit needs to be given to the members for not giving up on themselves.

• Like 4

Amen,,, i was one that thought they could drop farther... Glad to see them stabilize and finish the season strong

• Like 1