Cavaliers in Trouble?

Just WAY WAY WAY to much electronics and voice overs for me. First time in years I didn't enjoy a Cavaliers show. The drums were fantastic though.

• Like 4

Just WAY WAY WAY to much electronics and voice overs for me. First time in years I didn't enjoy a Cavaliers show. The drums were fantastic though.

That's why Cavies and BD quickly became "fast forward" corps on FN for me. Sorry, but true. I just can't stand it.

• Like 2

Well when you're trying to continue to be an innovator, sometimes you're going to miss. And that's okay. They were just as clean as anyone else, just didn't have the show to continue forward.

I agree the Cavaliers cleaned up a lot and salvaged what they could out of this massive train wreck... but who is "anyone else?". They were not THAT clean IMO. It seems the techs and staff teaching this failure of a product took a year off as well.

Positive note: Finals was their best run (for me at least), and yet they moved down? That I didn't get.

Time to eat crow, several DCPers.

8th place with 88.850 makes this the Cavaliers' worst finish since 1983, when they were 9th place with 88.550.

For a corps that had five 1st place finishes last decade, and was 2nd just two years ago, this is CLEARLY a problem. They lost Fiedler 3ish years ago and Gaines this year, and (FOR NOW) the replacements are not working.

From here, do they search for a new identity, or keep trying to emulate their success in the 00s? How do you rebound from something like this??

It was one off year after losing a large part of their past success (Gaines).

Don't think it's really possible to signal a declining trend after one year, but your doom and gloom is "clearly" noted.

I think their issue this year was choosing a bad concept and backing it up with even poorer design. I don't see that staff making the same mistake twice.

Positive note: Finals was their best run (for me at least), and yet they moved down? That I didn't get.

They should have been placed below BAC and madison before finals. Moving down was a reflection of the reality and maybe the panel having some stones to finally score them where they belonged and not where thir reputation lay.

I do remember everyone eaelier in the seasn saying they'd fix things, oh they're gonna be fine.... I hope they finally took off those thick rose colored glasses. The people who watched them at the preview simulcast and said the show was horrid were right.

The design staff needs to get back to what the brand represents aesthetically if they're to get out of the outhouse they locked themselves into. Peronally, I'd get rid of them and keep the techs, since they pretty much salvaged that season for them.

• Like 5

I think their issue this year was choosing a bad concept and backing it up with even poorer design. I don't see that staff making the same mistake twice.

What makes you think their design staff 'gets it' or is capable of creating a better product? After listening to one of them a couple of weeks ago, the drift I got was the show was the greatest thing since sliced bread and readily available helium gas. :satisfied:

I don't care that they placed 8th... I am still proud of them, and what matters is that the marchers had one heck of an experience that honestly I will never have the chance to have (because i'm 21 and I turn 22 next month). They are the corps I cheer for, because of the history of the corps. They have overcome SO much in there rich history.

They are the Corps The Cavaliers, there is no corps they fear... They will be fine in the future! I expect them to be in the top 6 next season (really about 6th) and then get 4th or 5th after that. They are the corps I will always cheer for!!

And besides... if the Texas Longhorns can overcome a 5-7 season with an overall 8-5 season and look to be pretty good this upcoming season... I am sure that the 7 time World Champion Cavaliers can overcome this too.

• Like 3

UT is gonna be 7-5 or worse... Tech gonna suck most likely but you need our quarterback and we need your defense or even one of those running backs:)

That said I think it might take Cavies a little while. They've hung their hat on being innovative ahead of the times drill and visual designers... I'm curious what identity will be? We can say they'll be the same but they've list the main people responsible for pushing that identity. I hope they climb back right away, but it's all gonna be on the shoulders of the staff determining the best course of action for designs moving forward.

One down year does not signify trouble. It's how they bounce back from this year that will be telling...

Let's not forget, Regiment came 9th in 2009, and they are right back in the thick of it. Scouts were not even making finals, and here they are, back in it.

There is no reason to think that this year was not just an anomaly for the Cavaliers.

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1