Cavaliers in Trouble?

I was hoping for Cavies to finish 9th, not because of my opinion of the show or fondness for Madison or Boston, but from a purely scientific perspective. As an experiment just to see if the ToC shows would stick to the never-quite-spelled-out rules and go on in 2013 without them.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 2

UT is gonna be 7-5 or worse... Tech gonna suck most likely but you need our quarterback and we need your defense or even one of those running backs:)

I'll take that bet :tongue:

I think Texas will be just fine on offense... I will admit Texas didn't have a 08/09 offense in 2010 or 2011, but the 2011 offense was better than 2010... I just want to see improvement! Just like The Cavaliers!! So I am sure Things will be fine for both The Cavaliers and the Longhorns.

Of course I like Tech too... gotta support my Texas teams!

Geez... I hope Cavies improve though...

Well when you're trying to continue to be an innovator, sometimes you're going to miss. And that's okay. They were just as clean as anyone else, just didn't have the show to continue forward.

With the exception of the percussion section, they certainly were not as clean as anyone else in the Top 6. You are correct about their show/program being sub-par.

I wouldn't overreact here. The Cavaliers will be fine. The current staff proved they could make changes an clean the show. They performed wonderfully the last few weeks of the season. Drill was not the issue despite not having Gaines. I think it came down to not having a music book that had the development and focus needed in a Cavalier production. They will be back. No duobt about it.

I agree that it's goofy to overreact to this season. IMO you have to look at a corps' long-term history before one really begins to speculate. Cavaliers have been around for well over half a century, and has had success unlike the majority of most DCI corps (especially looking at their pre-DCI history).

Every corps that has been in operation as long as Cavaliers has up's & downs. While this was certainly a down year, I too look for Cavaliers to rebound sooner than later.

Remember, their last down year, 1997, was the impetus for their 'rebuilding' into a juggernaut. :satisfied:

There is no reason to think that this year was just an anomaly for the Cavaliers.

Wait, there's no reason to think this this was an anomaly? You mean you think this year was the start of a trend or something and not some fluke year?!

Or do you mean something like "there is no reason to think that this year was the start of a trend: it was just an anomaly of the Cavaliers and they'll bounce back next season." :blink:

Wait, there's no reason to think this this was an anomaly? You mean you think this year was the start of a trend or something and not some fluke year?!

Or do you mean something like "there is no reason to think that this year was the start of a trend: it was just an anomaly of the Cavaliers and they'll bounce back next season." :blink:

The latter. My bad.

I'll take that bet :tongue:

I think Texas will be just fine on offense... I will admit Texas didn't have a 08/09 offense in 2010 or 2011, but the 2011 offense was better than 2010... I just want to see improvement! Just like The Cavaliers!! So I am sure Things will be fine for both The Cavaliers and the Longhorns.

Of course I like Tech too... gotta support my Texas teams!

Geez... I hope Cavies improve though...

Hah, "Big 12"............

I only went back ~20 years, and I make no claims that this is a complete list even for those years, but...

Of the 14 corps I found that scored below 90 one season and above 90 the next, only three broke 93.0 the following year and only ONE (2000 Boston Crusaders) made the Top 5 the following year, and only 5th place at that.

88.700 - 92.000 Madison Scouts 90/91

89.700 - 92.200 Crossmen 91/92

85.500 - 93.000 Crossmen 96/97

82.700 - 90.000 Glassmen 96/97

88.600 - 92.350 Boston Crusaders 99/00

88.550 - 91.150 Crossmen 00/01

84.400 - 90.750 Bluecoats 00/01

89.550 - 91.175 Madison Scouts 03/04

86.650 - 92.225 Carolina Crown 03/04

88.225 - 90.125 Blue Knights 05/06

88.650 - 92.350 Santa Clara Vanguard 05/06

89.975 - 94.150 Carolina Crown 06/07

84.350 - 90.425 Blue Stars 07/08

89.900 - 93.150 Phantom Regiment 09/10

Now, I'm not saying what is or isn't possible. But if the Cavaliers score higher than 94.0 and make the Top 5 in 2013, it would be a virtually unprecedented turnaround in the history of modern DCI.

• Like 2

Go back to 80 to 81, and you see SCV going from 7th to 1st in one year.If the foundation of an organization is sound, the program can be adjusted as needed. 7th to SCV in 1980 spurred them into a period of excellence that lasted fully another decade and a half, just as 7th did for the '97 Cavaliers.

They know what happened this year; I doubt you'll see them sitting pat in the off-season and just hoping for a better result.

• Like 1