2012, the Year of the Old...

I got back from the theater presentation of the Akron show a while ago and have been trying to catch up on what people here on DCP think about the young season.

I have to admit that I'm more excited about this season than I have been about other recent seasons and I'm trying to figure out exactly why...

I've got the feeling that DCI really wants their 40th Anniversary season to be something special and have gotten the word out to the World class corps to produce memorable shows.

I think I may have stumbled onto something...

Most World Class corps are playing at least some music in their current show that has previously been performed in finals. Two corps ( Troopers, Crossmen) are exploring themes that they have been successful with in the past. The only exceptions are the Mandarins, who are playing an all original show written by Key Poulan; and possibly The Cascades, who probably are performing something that has been previously performed but haven't told us exactly what the titles are yet..

I'm really not sure this has happened in the history of DCI.

It's almost like Michael Cesario brought out a whip during that secret winter meeting and instructed every corps' director and design team to go back into the past and bring back at least one piece of music, a concept, or theme to present in their 2012 productions. I'm sure the caveat was that the revisited work would need to be designed in a contemporary way, with modern drill, and using modern arrangements that would be acceptable to this generation...

I can almost picture Mr. Cesario saying something like: "When you're designing your shows for this year... You're going to revisit a successful idea from the past... I really liked '85 - '95...

( tongue.gif) Feel free to pick some music from those years, but you can choose something outside that time period if you really desire..."

I've got my tin foil hat on ( ...and I hope you do too), but there are some really interesting connections to previous shows this year...

Am I seeing patterns that aren't there? I mean I've never noticed EVERY corps do this at the same time...

This can not be a coincidence can it?

Yes, I know it doesn't matter, but it is sort of interesting to the drum corps geek in me...

'12 Show Music/Theme -> ( borrows/updates music or theme from)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cadets - A Christmas Show -> '93 Colts "Winter" ( contained Christmas music...) and '87 Phantom

Blue Devils - Bird and Bela in B flat & Children's Hour of Dream -> '91 & '96 Blue Devils

The Cavaliers - Don Juan, Vesti la Giubba, Hall of Mt. King -> ' 84 Cavaliers, '91 Phantom, Madison '98

Carolina Crown - 3rd Symphony -> '88 Cadets

Phantom Regiment - Nessum Dorma -> '91 Phantom

Santa Clara Vanguard - The Planets -> '80 SCV, '85 & '95 Cavaliers

Bluecoats - Masquerade -> '88 & '89 SCV

Boston Crusaders -> Pines of Rome & War Dance -> '91 Star & '94 Cavaliers

Blue Knights - Firebird -> '88 & '97 Cavaliers, 2007 Regiment

The Academy- Rite of Spring -> '97 Cavaliers and '00 Phantom

Madison Scouts -Pictures, Malaguena, Malaga -> '87 SCV & others, '88 Madison & others, '94 Madison

Blue Stars - New World Symphony -> '89 Phantom

Spirit of Atlanta - Harvest, Luck Be A Lady -> '11 Bluecoats, '93 Dutch Boy & '05 Spirit & '07 PC

Glassmen - Organ Symphony -> '90 Phantom

Colts - Piano Concerto #2 -> '95 & '02 Phantom & '11 Crown

Pacific Crest - Colours -> '03 Colts

Jersey Surf - Bridgemania -> '77,'81 Bridgemen

Teal Sound - Ritual Fire Dance -> '87 & Star '94 Phantom

Pioneer - New World Symphony -> '89 Phantom

Crossmen -*theme FRAGILE -> *concept & themes from '91 ( Pat Metheney) & '92- '94 ( Songs for the Planet Earth Trilogy)

Troopers - Copland Music -> *most Troopers shows use Copland music and I love Copland. Copland fits the Troopers show themes...

Cascades - Shinto - Mackey, Zimmer, Powell -> Not sure which pieces will be performed...

Mandarins - ORIGINAL MUSIC

Very good observation. Who knows?

Agree... I think the directors and staffs have collectively made a push to be more accessible! It may have to do with the new scoring system or, it may also have to do with each corps looking to expand fan base and recruiting!:)

Wes P

I got back from the theater presentation of the Akron show a while ago and have been trying to catch up on what people here on DCP think about the young season.

I have to admit that I'm more excited about this season than I have been about other recent seasons and I'm trying to figure out exactly why...

I've got the feeling that DCI really wants their 40th Anniversary season to be something special and have gotten the word out to the World class corps to produce memorable shows.

Most World Class corps are playing at least some music in their current show that has previously been performed in finals. Two corps ( Troopers, Crossmen) are exploring themes that they have been successful with in the past. The only exceptions are the Mandarins, who are playing an all original show written by Key Poulan; and possibly The Cascades, who probably are performing something that has been previously performed but haven't told us exactly what the titles are yet..

It's almost like Michael Cesario brought out a whip during that secret winter meeting and instructed every corps' director and design team to go back into the past and bring back at least one piece of music, a concept, or theme to present in their 2012 productions. I'm sure the caveat was that the revisited work would need to be designed in a contemporary way, with modern drill, and using modern arrangements that would be acceptable to this generation...

I can almost picture Mr. Cesario saying something like: "When you're designing your shows for this year... You're going to revisit a successful idea from the past... I really liked '85 - '95...

( tongue.gif) Feel free to pick some music from those years, but you can choose something outside that time period if you really desire..."

I've got my tin foil hat on ( ...and I hope you do too), but there are some really interesting connections to previous shows this year...

Am I seeing patterns that aren't there? I mean I've never noticed EVERY corps do this at the same time...

Yes, I know it doesn't matter, but it is sort of interesting to the drum corps geek in me...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cadets - A Christmas Show -> '93 Colts "Winter" ( contained Christmas music...) and '87 Phantom

Blue Devils - Bird and Bela in B flat & Children's Hour of Dream -> '91 & '96 Blue Devils

The Cavaliers - Don Juan, Vesti la Giubba, Hall of Mt. King -> ' 84 Cavaliers, '91 Phantom, Madison '98

Madison Scouts -Pictures, Malaguena, Malaga -> '87 SCV & others, '88 Madison & others, '94 Madison

Spirit of Atlanta - Harvest, Luck Be A Lady -> '11 Bluecoats, '93 Dutch Boy & '05 Spirit & '07 PC

Crossmen -*theme FRAGILE -> *concept & themes from '91 ( Pat Metheney) & '92- '94 ( Songs for the Planet Earth Trilogy)

Troopers - Copland Music -> *most Troopers shows use Copland music and I love Copland. Copland fits the Troopers show themes...

Cascades - Shinto - Mackey, Zimmer, Powell -> Not sure which pieces will be performed...

Looking at corps, 1st shows from 2011 and 2012. Info from DCP and DCI.

6/12 6/11

Cadets 70.200 71.050

PR 69.300 69.950

Crown 68.650 74.650

BC 67.800 68.900

Cav 65.550 74.300

BS 62.700 64.750

Looking at corps, 1st shows from 2011 and 2012. Info from DCP and DCI.

6/12 6/11

Cadets 70.200 71.050

PR 69.300 69.950

Crown 68.650 74.650

BC 67.800 68.900

Cav 65.550 74.300

BS 62.700 64.750

One thing my nephew pointed out to me after the akron show that I didn't notice was how all 6 corps started with pit and the hornline quietly snuck in to their first big hit.

One thing my nephew pointed out to me after the akron show that I didn't notice was how all 6 corps started with pit and the hornline quietly snuck in to their first big hit.

I promise this won't be a trend for everyone.