Southwest Corps Connection Mesa, AZ

And I say they enjoy every moment of it! They earned it! But things might get kinda awkward when a few of them remember that they hope to march with The Cavies one day. lookaround.gif

Then again, enjoying bonding experiences such as a great competitive season (which this may well be for Spirit!) might convince some of those members who would have moved on to other corps to stay and grow with their Spirit family. I'd say that's a pretty great thing! Cavies will be fine and bounce back from whatever is going on with them right now whether or not those kids leave Spirit. However, if Spirit can get its member retention up, it would make a huge difference to that program. I would love to see them back as a perennial solid finalist, and this could be a little stepping stone to making that a reality.

BK- Not bad...the whole beginning was way too much and way too cheesy synth though. Looks like they were all exhausted, posture was terrible, lots of visual "wtf"s all over the field. Had some nice moments musically, but for the most part....to me, at least, a pretty poor performance for them.

Phantom- Immediately impressed by how clean the show was already, and they did sound fantastic. Visual weak at points. Nessun Dorma was great. Great meaty low brass sounds, TT is doing a great job with the hornline this year. If they can keep this up....

Who?!?

SCV- Wow. Blew me away. In my opinion should have beaten Phantom, bu hey that's just me. Incredible show design. Great execution. Yeah, some visual issues here and there and one botched release, guard was pretty much invisible and meh, like others they have a long way to go but I feel they should have won the show. Definitely my favourite of the night, and I never really was an SCV fan.

Guards majorly contribute to the scores. You cannot win or place well without a strong guard

Academy- Holy brass. Just as loud and full as the others. Honestly, better brass sound on field than BK. By far. Visual was meh, show design was also kinda blah (I got absolutely nothing out of the drill, might be because it wasn't readable but really doesn't seem to add anything, at least where I was sitting. But definitely should overtake BK once they get the other 2/5 parts on the field. Definitely better than expected and better than the scores show. We'll see what happens with the visual program. Also, guard uniforms not there yet, which probably hurt a little too. And drum majors with batons now...cool!

I'm a Blue Star, so I have no idea what SUTA means, but im pretty sure they are doing it right!!!

I am a PR alum and can tell you.....they definitely ARE doing it the SUTA way. ;)

• Like 3

Sorry, Carichner and staff. When marching under him,, we always used that moniker, forgot he has a real name. My bad.

As for guard....I really don't know much about them, unfortunately. Also, I pay attention to the hornline a lot, so I didn't really notice too much. Sorry, weakness there.

• Like 1

Ugh...Cavies were beaten fair and square in those departments tonight. Spirit more than deserved their score.

By "anomaly" I meant "rarity" or "something you probably won't see happen very often." Again, Spirit earned their score tonight and they should take pride in it.

Edited by crownisking

Then again, enjoying bonding experiences such as a great competitive season (which this may well be for Spirit!) might convince some of those members who would have moved on to other corps to stay and grow with their Spirit family. I'd say that's a pretty great thing! Cavies will be fine and bounce back from whatever is going on with them right now whether or not those kids leave Spirit. However, if Spirit can get its member retention up, it would make a huge difference to that program. I would love to see them back as a perennial solid finalist, and this could be a little stepping stone to making that a reality.

This is true. I think some kids would remain loyal to their first corps if they were to taste some success while there. But then there will always be the kids who's lives won't be complete until they march at least one season with BD or SCV, PR, Cavs, Crown, Cadets, etc. I definitely see where you're coming from, but I don't really mind the idea of kids going to smaller corps to sharpen their skills and taking them to "the next level." As long as the smaller corps stay alive to keep the cycle going.

Jesus christ... can we go back to the offseason now???

All the crazies come out of the woodworks just in time for the season eh??

I might need to take a break until peeps get bored of DCP in a couple weeks.

• Like 3

George Hopkins eating waffles.

Hey, I'd love to sit down and eat Waffles with him at a shady diner in Allentown (not the Ham Fam) I've been to a few... great food! Even though there was plywood on a couple windows....

• Like 2

This is true. I think some kids would remain loyal to their first corps if they were to taste some success while there. But then there will always be the kids who's lives won't be complete until they march at least one season with BD or SCV, PR, Cavs, Crown, Cadets, etc. I definitely see where you're coming from, but I don't really mind the idea of kids going to smaller corps to sharpen their skills and taking them to "the next level." As long as the smaller corps stay alive to keep the cycle going.

Ok where to start..... You single out BK for as you say not needing to be in a conversation with Corps they've beaten at various times in the past few seasons... Ok...but then to imply that BK is not consistent enough to be recognized as a finalist corps year in and out.... Dude they've been in finals from 91-94, 96-2000, 2004-present. Including a top 6 finish and numerous single digit placements. At my count that's 16 years out of 20... Would you like to retract your statement?? Also are you really implying that it should be the exception for students to remain loyal to their corps? I had a sudden of mine march Crossmen for 6-7 years, and he had the type of talent to go to any corps in the world. He chose to stay with the Xmen because though thick and thin he wanted to amme a difference and he did!! Finalist caliber corps are not lower class citizens because they aren't winning titles. In fact the whole notion of corps members getting experience to go march a elite corps is wrong. No corps should be treated like an after thought so they can get dumped on! I remind you, corps like Crown were not too long ago very much in the same boat as BK and others. Just saying!

Wes P

BK 97 98

• Like 5