Why Do Drum Corps Arrangers Think They Know Better Than The Great Comp

I think as far as corps arrangers go, none stick to the original work more faithfully than Michael Klesch. Love his arrangements, because they are more like transcriptions than arrangements.

• Like 4

I think as far as corps arrangers go, none stick to the original work more faithfully than Michael Klesch. Love his arrangements, because they are more like transcriptions than arrangements.

That's pretty much how I do it on those rare occasions when I arrange anything...if a passage turns me on from the original, I want to replicate it on the field.

Of course, there's transcribing (me) and there's TRANSCRIBING (Klesch....plus, his stuff, y'know, actually gets played)

The last thing I arranged was "Pure Imagination" for the trumpet section of a friend's band...but his deadline changed and I couldn't get it to him in time to be played. A shame...I had a couple of nice moments in there.

Hell...I still have my arrangements for "Pure Imagination," the bump & grind ending of "Strawberry Soup,", a warmup book, "23N 82W," and En Garde's planned 2008 show....I'd be happy to GIVE them to someone just to hear them played!!!

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 1

It's not just the arrangers...Judges tell the corps to do stupid things as well. Classic example? When Cadets did Adams' 'Short Ride on a Fast Machine', at least one judge told them that the woodblock had to go!

There are other stories as well...Drum corps is a medium that's good at bastardizing a composer's work, then making it it unrecognizable, which is why some composers (like Ron Nelson) don't want their material done by drum corps.

It's not just the arrangers...Judges tell the corps to do stupid things as well. Classic example? When Cadets did Adams' 'Short Ride on a Fast Machine', at least one judge told them that the woodblock had to go!=

Jesus....did Cadets tell the judge to listen to the source music????

If it's not already done, judges should be required to listen to a corps source music before being allowed to make such a comment.

• Like 2

Jesus....did Cadets tell the judge to listen to the source music????

If it's not already done, judges should be required to listen to a corps source music before being allowed to make such a comment.

It won't matter, they won't do it. Especially if your source material is something out of their comfort zone. True story:

In 2009 when I was on brass staff at Teal, I was told by a brass judge that we should "punch up the shout section to make it really big-band like. It doesn't swing enough."

My reply: "It's Justin Timberlane, it's not supposed to swing. Haven't you listened to any of of this stuff?"

Judge: "Never heard of James Timberlake."

Me: /facepalm

Extra credit: Another judge on the same panel didn't know who Christina Aguilera was either.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

It won't matter, they won't do it. Especially if your source material is something out of their comfort zone. True story:

In 2009 when I was on brass staff at Teal, I was told by a brass judge that we should "punch up the shout section to make it really big-band like. It doesn't swing enough."

My reply: "It's Justin Timberlane, it's not supposed to swing. Haven't you listened to any of of this stuff?"

Judge: "Never heard of James Timberlake."

Me: /facepalm

I really can't fault him there :tongue:

• Like 2

Shoenberg didn't have a visual package. it's just different music. If this were a more cultured place like Europe people wouldn't be having a pissy fit over something that isn't in a key or time signature different from what they were spoon fed by the media.

If you want culture and art (ie Shoenberg) that is fine, but you also have to accept the fact that you will never fill the seats of a huge pro football stadium with people purchasing tickets and buying souvies; culture and art is for a very small select few (even in your arrogant European example). If, however, you want to fill a 60,000 seat stadium with fans paying premium prices for tickets then "entertain" them!

• Like 5

Ok Jfitz19, let's see if you are consistent with your logic and reasoning. Your contention is that arrangers think that "they" know better than the origonal composers. For you to hold that opinion in a consistent manner, you "have" to, and I mean "have" to also apply that to the following charts; Please be consistent and say that these "arrangers" thought that they new better than the origonal composers:

Buddy Rich's Norwegin Wood (orig composers Lennon/McCartney, but "arranged" by Bill Holman)

Stan Kenton's Also Sprach (orig composer Strauss, but "arranged" by Kenton)

Ralph Vaughn Williams' Fabtasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis (orig composer Tallis, but "arranged" by Williams)

Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (orig composer Paganini, but "arranged" by Rachmaminoff)

Dvorak's New World Symphony (orig composers folk singers in America, but "arranged" by Dvorak)

Need I go on?

Once they secure the rights, or if the music is in the public domain, I understand that arrangers can arrange as they see fir. On the other hand Don Hill does not = Antonin Dvorak, so I'm not sure how apt this comparison is. And I'm not putting down Don Hill; just saying.

Once they secure the rights, or if the music is in the public domain, I understand that arrangers can arrange as they see fir. On the other hand Don Hill does not = Antonin Dvorak, so I'm not sure how apt this comparison is. And I'm not putting down Don Hill; just saying.

Again, using your reasoning and logic here, New World Symphony is not an origonal composition but an "arrangement" of works from other composers. Therefore, for you to be consistent, Antonin Dvorak does not = the folk composers he, what did you call it, oh yeah "bastardized" by creating arrangements of their works to put together his New World Symphony.

Edited by Stu

It won't matter, they won't do it. Especially if your source material is something out of their comfort zone.

For some corps and arrangers as well...there's one big band style show I REALLY REALLY want to see on the field (and no, I'm not saying what it is on the ghost of a chance I can get a corps to bite on the idea and I can try arranging it, or at least consult) that, whenever I propose listening to the source material, no one can seem to get past who the singer is...and the chart I'd use as an opener is MADE for the purpose. The arrangements are air tight...some awesome AWESOME stuff....but no one will give it a chance.

Rocketman knows what show I mean!!

Edited by 84BDsop