Why Do Drum Corps Arrangers Think They Know Better Than The Great Comp

Ok Jfitz19, let's see if you are consistent with your logic and reasoning. Your contention is that arrangers think that "they" know better than the origonal composers. For you to hold that opinion in a consistent manner, you "have" to, and I mean "have" to also apply that to the following charts; Please be consistent and say that these "arrangers" thought that they new better than the origonal composers:

Buddy Rich's Norwegin Wood (orig composers Lennon/McCartney, but "arranged" by Bill Holman)

Stan Kenton's Also Sprach (orig composer Strauss, but "arranged" by Kenton)

Ralph Vaughn Williams' Fabtasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis (orig composer Tallis, but "arranged" by Williams)

Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (orig composer Paganini, but "arranged" by Rachmaminoff)

Dvorak's New World Symphony (orig composers folk singers in America, but "arranged" by Dvorak)

Need I go on?

Yeah, and let's not forget "A Fifth of Beethoven" by Walter Murphy and Deodato's "Also Sprach Zarathustra."

:doh:

Fred O.

Thanks Corpsband, You always come through.

Just a reminder that we are all musicians or big fans and I hope we don't squabble.

On a different note, hee hee bad unintended music joke, I just received a Woody Shaw six CD set from Mosaic - awesome for $44. Also check out the Woody Herman set.

Kevin

I like the BD '89 version of You Gotta Try better than the Count Basie Orchestra version.

• Like 1

Fourth - Sam is composing and arranging. It is a shame that he does not appear to be getting any consideration.

Thank you!

To be straight up about it, I certainly don't consider any arranging I've done on a par with -- oh -- ANYONE who's had their work out there...I don't have the musical training or theory background to draw from...I arrange from the (sadly, too large) gut...and my work definitely has an 80's feel to it (like....complete musical phrases).

My BEST work was an arrangement of Billy Joel's "Leningrad" I did in the mid 90s....of course, that's one of the scores I can't seem to locate anymore!

I've had many ideas for shows, some possibly good, some possibly awful.....none have seen the light of day except in my mind (where the stands are always packed and the crowd goes wild!!)

I'd LOVE for DCP to be able to host a forum where people could put their work up for consideration, but there are copyright and other permission issues there.

It often seems like every corps out there wants a Klesch, a Rennick, a Chandler...very few seem to be willing to give Tom, Dick, & Harry a looksee....

I think its basically because drum corps arrangers are asked to arrange a show that is effective and will insure competitive success within the activity. If you really want this question answered, look at the criteria on the music sheets and realize that arrangers use this format to put a show together (at least the great ones do..)

While "music" is important, many of the best works in any genre would just not create enough "effect" as designated by a DCI music sheet, therefore the need to cut and paste at times, for the sake of the show. Also, remember its a "design team" and they are working to create a musical palette that will allow both visual designers and guard designers to fit into that. Sometimes it means music gets the short end of the stick, but its ultimately about the big picture and putting together a product that will please everyone, musicians AND non-musicians.

i think if you truly are a traditionalist and want nothing but the original pieces, then drum corps may not be for you. Otherwise, you could look past it and enjoy the writing for brass, percussion, front ensemble and all of the amazing visual design that goes into a world class theatrical and pageantry event such as drum corps!

Just my $5 worth...

PS. Buddy Rich played "Ya Gotta Try", not Count Basie.. :tongue:

Edited by trumpetcam

Jesus....did Cadets tell the judge to listen to the source music????

If it's not already done, judges should be required to listen to a corps source music before being allowed to make such a comment.

Similar story with Crossmen back in '98, during the Rocco/DeLucia era...They were getting nailed by the judges for a drum break in the middle of one of the Metheny tunes...Even though it came right off the record.

Personally, I would have just pulled a Woody Allen, told them they didn't know anything about Metheny, and they brought him to a critique.

Third - there are arrangements of arrangements. The first Madison Malaguena was an arrangement of the Bill Holman version for Stan Kenton whiich was an arrangement of the original, that I understand was a guitar piece.

This brings up a rights question...if you're doing a drum corps version of someone ELSE'S arrangement of someone ELSE"S original chart (let's say...the Kings Singers a capella version of "Can't Buy Me Love"...definitely NOT a straight vocal transcription of the Beatles original), who do you get the rights from??

So what exactly happens in the critique portion of the post show?

I have heard a few comments from Float and Johnson as to what the judges said but how does it actually go down?

This brings up a rights question...if you're doing a drum corps version of someone ELSE'S arrangement of someone ELSE"S original chart (let's say...the Kings Singers a capella version of "Can't Buy Me Love"...definitely NOT a straight vocal transcription of the Beatles original), who do you get the rights from??

From the arranger, and hope that they have rights from the original writer. I've run into this with some solo stuff. Asked an arranger for permission, only to find out they didn't have original permission. Kind of sucked.