How weak is the Cavies Show?

2001?

Watching the show on Fan Network (and looking at the recaps), they clearly have visual problems. Maybe it's the guard, maybe it's the over-all design, but they are definitely not performing as well as they need to. They lost to Spirit of Atlanta in GE Vis and Vis Analysis, so that's obviously a major concern. As for music design (they're clearly dirty musically as well), it's hard to tell looking at the recaps: in GE they were closer in performance than rep, but in MA they were closer in rep than performance (to Scouts, mind you). I think musically they're probably OK, but visual is clearly a pretty big problem for Cavaliers right now for whatever reason. Maybe as the guard cleans up the visual scores will improve, but for whatever reason the judges just aren't digging Cavaliers visual program at all right now.

I think it's safe to say that most people knew there would be some issues with Cavaliers visual program. Anytime a corps switches visual designers there is an adjustment period. Gaines wrote perfectly for Cavaliers style of movement, and Cavaliers style of movement worked perfectly with Gaines' drill design: changing either one of those components will take a substantial adjustment from everyone (the new designer will need to figure out how to write effectively while also being able to max out performance, and staff will need to learn how to most effectively teach/clean the new designer's drill).

Also, as we've seen the last several seasons, everyone is getting better. Scouts are significantly better than last year; Crown is significantly better than last year. With competition getting better + Cavaliers breaking in a new vis designer, there is a high probability of the corps taking a step backward: especially at the beginning of the season. We'll see how all of this plays out long-term, but at the very least it seems like we're in the midst of a bit of a shake-up competitively this season. While that sucks for fans of the corps on the drop, it's excited to at least have variety!

(not so exciting: fanatics of corps on the rise who after the last few weeks will start talking about how close they are to medaling, or winning DCI, etc - folks who can't just sit back and be happy for their corps' higher success and either fantasize or outright naively trick themselves into thinking new moderate success will equal immediate ultimate success)

Maybe drum corps will see a flip-flop of placement in the next 20 years?

Maybe drum corps will see a flip-flop of placement in the next 20 years?

I'm not following closely on this, but didnt they just lose their long time visual designer?

This post is definitely one of the funniest I've ever read on DCP. I have to respond to the above statement. First of all, the members of the Cavaliers are a class act!! They are having a great time on tour with the other corps members. They are working hard and I am sure having a great summer. I don't believe any of them joined the corps just to win a DCI Championship. They joined because of the friendships they are making, the travel, and the opportunity to perform in front of enthusiastic crowds.

Secondly, the Cavaliers have survived over 6 decades. The alumni base and parental support are both very strong. I believe they have a stronger base more now than ever. In the 70s, the corps had some difficult years, but they survived. In fact, I am positive the members had a great time and built life long friendships. Years later, the corps is still here and entertaining thousands of drum corps fans.

Regarding the show, they still have time to clean and layer this show. If they don't win a championship, or even place in the top 3-6 catagory, the corps will continue. The guys will continue having the same great experiences that thousands of previous Cavaliers had. In closing, my hats off to the current 2012 Cavaliers...no matter what the scores are, continue having a great experience.

I wish I could give more than one green + thingy, this guy knows what's up.

This show will go places especially once the new ending is in. 13 days into the season, folks.

I've been hoping for a new ending. Honestly, I think that's the big piece this show is missing. The reason the fans aren't going crazy for it is that it doesn't have much of the classic "Green Machine" drill. There are a couple of hints at it during the pre-show, and one substantial bit about halfway through on the right side of the field. But the ending is kinda boring. If they rewrite it with a classic Cavies ending, I think you'll see people throwing babies. They may not end up in 2nd, but I think that alone would keep them in the TOC.

• Like 1

Glad to know that I am not the only one that has major issues with the guard uniform. I felt the same about last year's outfit too. The person who picks the guard costumes needs to be fired ASAP.

Then again, when have the Cavies NOT had strange guard uniforms? As much as I liked Machine, you can hardly call those outfits "normal". And Spin Cycle is my favorite show of all time, but I have to watch it on the high camera to avoid close-ups of the guard. No one should wear those colors together. :-)

Interesting reactions here. I saw the show last night live and the visual was very clean and I know it will improve greatly. The brass and percussion also played very clean and sounded good.

But the low-end synth, the camera samples, the synth bass that completely buried the brass, the dance-loop prerecorded synth break, the noise (was it supposed to be record-scratches?) over the battery feature that made it possible to hear to snares... All of that just got more and more prevalent through the show to the point that by the end I had stopped enjoying myself completely. I was so numbed by the end of the show I didn't even feel an impact from the closing "impact". I think the show could be great but it's just lost on me now. Maybe it didn't come across that badly on the stream, but in person the mix was atrocious. Sorry Cavies I wanted to enjoy it. :(

Every time I hear the synth bass lick, I think, "how much cooler would it be to hear the low brass play that?" Especially since the low brass isn't playing anything else when that lick is happening.

• Like 2

This post is definitely one of the funniest I've ever read on DCP. I have to respond to the above statement. First of all, the members of the Cavaliers are a class act!! They are having a great time on tour with the other corps members. They are working hard and I am sure having a great summer. I don't believe any of them joined the corps just to win a DCI Championship. They joined because of the friendships they are making, the travel, and the opportunity to perform in front of enthusiastic crowds.

Secondly, the Cavaliers have survived over 6 decades. The alumni base and parental support are both very strong. I believe they have a stronger base more now than ever. In the 70s, the corps had some difficult years, but they survived. In fact, I am positive the members had a great time and built life long friendships. Years later, the corps is still here and entertaining thousands of drum corps fans.

Regarding the show, they still have time to clean and layer this show. If they don't win a championship, or even place in the top 3-6 catagory, the corps will continue. The guys will continue having the same great experiences that thousands of previous Cavaliers had. In closing, my hats off to the current 2012 Cavaliers...no matter what the scores are, continue having a great experience.

I'm not referring to the Cavaliers alone. A lot of these non-G8 corps are out for blood and producing G8 quality shows. Sure the Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, etc. have amazing programs with tons of longevity, but DCI is a competitive entity. It's like sports. Yes the teams are more consistent than football teams, but it's bound to happen someday when we see a different look to the top 12.

Edited by kaseyW
  • Like 2

Also, you're post is relevant to at least half of the corps in DCI. This was in no way to harm the purpose of the Cavaliers organizations. They're still one of my favorite organizations in DCI.

• Like 2