How weak is the Cavies Show?

I don't really get all this posivity regarding Cavies. The reality is they have not been this week, even at this time of year, for many, many years. They will be lucky to make top 6.

Top 6? Lucky if they make top 8 (said with love).

Irving

Fan of the Arts

• Like 2

I don't really get all this posivity regarding Cavies. The reality is they have not been this week, even at this time of year, for many, many years. They will be lucky to make top 6.

Haha, yea ok...

Seriously guys, this thread is cracking me up. Great comedy to start the day!

• Like 3

Clearly cavaliers are trying to push the activity a new direction. Maybe they are the new Hopkins?

Blasphemy

• Like 3

I would agree that the use of the samples was out of hand last night. If 'some' of something is good, it doesn't necessarily follow that "more" will be better. As far as levels go, that's harder to tell from a webcast; could be that it was thunderous goo online, but not as unbalanced in the stands.

Watching the show on Fan Network (and looking at the recaps), they clearly have visual problems. Maybe it's the guard, maybe it's the over-all design, but they are definitely not performing as well as they need to. They lost to Spirit of Atlanta in GE Vis and Vis Analysis, so that's obviously a major concern. As for music design (they're clearly dirty musically as well), it's hard to tell looking at the recaps: in GE they were closer in performance than rep, but in MA they were closer in rep than performance (to Scouts, mind you). I think musically they're probably OK, but visual is clearly a pretty big problem for Cavaliers right now for whatever reason. Maybe as the guard cleans up the visual scores will improve, but for whatever reason the judges just aren't digging Cavaliers visual program at all right now.

I think it's safe to say that most people knew there would be some issues with Cavaliers visual program. Anytime a corps switches visual designers there is an adjustment period. Gaines wrote perfectly for Cavaliers style of movement, and Cavaliers style of movement worked perfectly with Gaines' drill design: changing either one of those components will take a substantial adjustment from everyone (the new designer will need to figure out how to write effectively while also being able to max out performance, and staff will need to learn how to most effectively teach/clean the new designer's drill).

Also, as we've seen the last several seasons, everyone is getting better. Scouts are significantly better than last year; Crown is significantly better than last year. With competition getting better + Cavaliers breaking in a new vis designer, there is a high probability of the corps taking a step backward: especially at the beginning of the season. We'll see how all of this plays out long-term, but at the very least it seems like we're in the midst of a bit of a shake-up competitively this season. While that sucks for fans of the corps on the drop, it's excited to at least have variety!

(not so exciting: fanatics of corps on the rise who after the last few weeks will start talking about how close they are to medaling, or winning DCI, etc - folks who can't just sit back and be happy for their corps' higher success and either fantasize or outright naively trick themselves into thinking new moderate success will equal immediate ultimate success)

• Like 1

Watching the show on Fan Network (and looking at the recaps), they clearly have visual problems. Maybe it's the guard, maybe it's the over-all design, but they are definitely not performing as well as they need to. They lost to Spirit of Atlanta in GE Vis and Vis Analysis, so that's obviously a major concern. As for music design (they're clearly dirty musically as well), it's hard to tell looking at the recaps: in GE they were closer in performance than rep, but in MA they were closer in rep than performance (to Scouts, mind you). I think musically they're probably OK, but visual is clearly a pretty big problem for Cavaliers right now for whatever reason. Maybe as the guard cleans up the visual scores will improve, but for whatever reason the judges just aren't digging Cavaliers visual program at all right now.

I think it's safe to say that most people knew there would be some issues with Cavaliers visual program. Anytime a corps switches visual designers there is an adjustment period. Gaines wrote perfectly for Cavaliers style of movement, and Cavaliers style of movement worked perfectly with Gaines' drill design: changing either one of those components will take a substantial adjustment from everyone (the new designer will need to figure out how to write effectively while also being able to max out performance, and staff will need to learn how to most effectively teach/clean the new designer's drill).

Also, as we've seen the last several seasons, everyone is getting better. Scouts are significantly better than last year; Crown is significantly better than last year. With competition getting better + Cavaliers breaking in a new vis designer, there is a high probability of the corps taking a step backward: especially at the beginning of the season. We'll see how all of this plays out long-term, but at the very least it seems like we're in the midst of a bit of a shake-up competitively this season. While that sucks for fans of the corps on the drop, it's excited to at least have variety!

(not so exciting: fanatics of corps on the rise who after the last few weeks will start talking about how close they are to medaling, or winning DCI, etc - folks who can't just sit back and be happy for their corps' higher success and either fantasize or outright naively trick themselves into thinking new moderate success will equal immediate ultimate success)

I agree..especially with the different drill designer and same marching technique......And maybe I am mistaken, but just when was the last time the Cavaliers had "follow the leader" in their drill ?

On that note, GO CAVALIERS...

I agree..especially with the different drill designer and same marching technique......And maybe I am mistaken, but just when was the last time the Cavaliers had "follow the leader" in their drill ?

On that note, GO CAVALIERS...

2001?

Clearly cavaliers are trying to push the activity a new direction. Maybe they are the new Hopkins?

Must. Resist. Making. Humorous. (Or not). Comment.

• Like 1