How weak is the Cavies Show?

I have seldom posted on here - I will probably be labeled a troll. Probably a better description would be one of those fans talked about on other strands you keep trying to recruit. That said - I have watched most of the shows, and my favorite is the Cavaliers. I realize most of you know much more than I do, but the music has stuck in my head since I heard it, and the drill is interesting to watch and makes as much sense as anyone else's at this point of the year. Many of the comments I've read don't seem to add up, and I wonder how much of this discussion is just the way DCI works. As I followed the season last year, I could tell in early July the Cavies wouldn't win in August, even though at the time they were winning every night. All you could read about was how the show was based on gimmicks, had too much electronics, had bad guard uniforms. Unfortunate comments, considering the incredible product as a whole these young men were putting on the field every night. Watch the show with fresh eyes and you'll see there was a lot more to it than that. I believe the same thing is happening this year too - people see weaknesses (what show doesn't have them at this time?) and it is snowballing into corps-bashing.

I wonder how much of this Cavalier-feeding-frenzy is that people have found a weakness with Gaines leaving and have jumped on it. Sure, things look and flow a little different, but I for one don't think they're as desperate as some are saying. Take a recent discussion about guard design - look at the show with a little more objective eyes. The guard is integrated, sometimes in sophisticated ways that rival any of the Gaines shows. (Compare that to the lack of integration in the Cadets show, which I have not even seen mentioned in the forums.)

I now there are quality issues - as they are in every show - and you can see a lot of growth if you watch videos from different nights. I just hope the effort put into this show is judged based on what they are putting on the field, not compared to what the Cavies did in the past. I think the show can stand on its own merit.

The result of all this? I was thinking about going to San Antonio in July for regionals, but I will probably wait until another year.

• Like 7

I was already saying that last year and people thought I was crazy! I mean they took a show with limitless possibilities and couldnt win with it. The oldest kids marching this year were 15 when the Cavaliers last won. If they dont win this year, the oldest kids in the activity last year will have just been a freshman in high school. Idk about you, but when I was just a freshman, i was more worried about keeping my own feet in time, let alone paying attention to who is who in DCI. Its tough to say it, but they are in trouble. Kids coming into the activitie care more about what is happening right now, than what happened while they were in junior high school.

crown has never won so i wonder how they attracted all those highschoolers 6 years ago to make them so good now.

• Like 2

Huh to which part? My point is, how many of the kids that are marching today actually remember the last time the cavaliers won a title? 21 year old kids marching now were only 15 the last time the cavies won. People still think of the Cavaliers as winners, but its only a matter of time before kids looking for a place to march do not associate the Cavaliers with winning anymore. Thus their talent pool is going to shrink. Its not like it hasnt happened to fantastic corps before.

Just like it did all those years when they didn't win nationals, the guys who showed up after the '99, and '94, and 05 seasons, and - oh, wait... :cool:

it's not a ring-chaser corps. Never has been. The guys who will continue to audition there are guys who simply want to be part of the tradition of The Cavaliers. Placement has never been central to how the corps works.

Edited by mobrien
  • Like 5

I would have to agree with the above statement.

• Like 5

It's still early and I wouldn't put anything past Cavies, I would not be surprised at all if they are a totally different corps come August.

I also agree with the above member who said The Cavaliers are more about tradition than they are about championships. I never got the chance to march with them but I wanted to so badly when I was in high school and they were not winning then. It was just something about that organization that spoke to me.

i saw the show last night and i'm still scratching my head trying to figure it out. Drumline was pretty good, i HATE the six bass drums for sure. My wives favorite corps last year and this year she didn't like the show either. The drill wasn't anything intersting but the kids are working hard!

Most schools I teach the few kids that know drum corps know the Cavaliers (and just a couple others), even if they haven't won in a while. It has nothing to do with winning. Sure, some kids are ring chasers, but most just want to be in an organization that prides itself on being the "Green Machine" not the "winning machine".

Oh, and I'm one of the few people that actually liked their show a lot. Do I think it will win, no, but I think it's going to be entertaining (for everyone, not just me) in August.

• Like 1

This is what I think... after watching videos of them of recent shows from youtube... its already different from the first couple of shows. I am really digging the drill in this show, and i'm not worried about that. At this point they need to clean and add some more GE. Watching the show from start to finish I noticed some spots where they are standing still doing nothing... that is VERY unCavies like and i'm VERY sure something is going to happen in those sections. Still, my opinion is remains the same... in the next few days/couple of weeks, they will start to really clean up and get better. I like this show and Don Juan has been stuck in my head for days. I am looking forward to seeing this show live.