After week 1 of an 8 week season...

So the first week of the season as come and gone. 12 DCI shows are now history.

During the off season we were told of the new scoring system and sheets that would mark the biggest change in the activity in years. (Wish I had the exact quote, but words along that line.)

From what I can tell so far the biggest change seems to be in the fact that the sheets went from portrait layout to landscape.

For some reason I guess I was expecting something different

...and I really don't know what the difference would be.

Maybe as the season progresses?

• Like 1

During the off season we were told of the new scoring system and sheets that would mark the biggest change in the activity in years. (Wish I had the exact quote, but words along that line.)

From what I can tell so far the biggest change seems to be in the fact that the sheets went from portrait layout to landscape.

The new judging sheets were supposed to take into consideration the production's " engagement of the audience ". I am not going to out any corps on this point, but I see this as FAIL. Perhaps it should have been a separate category altogether and borrowed from "GE" which is still quite heavy IMO.

• Like 3

And "engagement of the audience" is just another along with another along with another aspect (and yadayadayada) of General Effect. It makes sense that the scores haven't drastically changed. Not to mention that it is the early season; there's still corps out there who are "prototyping" their show concept. I expect many changes in corps production this year.

Same stuff same station. I am feeling a little early season frustration.

BTW, How does one capture crowd engagement??

In my opinion, so far, it hasn't really changed anything as far as the way shows are scored. The Blue Devils are scoring right up there in the top echelon, even though their show does not "engage the audience" (on a large scale) nearly as much as say, Phantom Regiment's. They are scoring above Phantom (as of 6/24), but you can't deny they are an excellent drum and bugle corps who execute incredibly well. Amazing marching and playing.

However, The electronic samples in their show kill the whole show for me and I'm sure many others (though I can't speak for anyone but myself). It's like there's a disconnect between what the audience likes and what the show designers (or maybe judges?) THINK that the audience likes. You would think they would get a clue by the size of the ovation at the end of their shows, but they don't appear to.

I only call out Blue Devils because so far, other than Blue Knights, they are the only corps I have seen that have a show that really just doesn't appeal to me. The electronics kill it for me every time. That's just how I am. I know there are people on here who LOVE this year's Blue Devils show. I am just offering my opinion as it relates to the current discussion. It's really not personal with me. I liked both Blue Devils and Blue Knights shows last year. I will most likely enjoy them in later years (assuming they don't keep up with the electronic crap) No doubt I will be given reds for this post. Sticks and stones...

• Like 4

In my opinion, so far, it hasn't really changed anything as far as the way shows are scored. The Blue Devils are scoring right up there in the top echelon, even though their show does not "engage the audience" (on a large scale) nearly as much as say, Phantom Regiment's. They are scoring above Phantom (as of 6/24), but you can't deny they are an excellent drum and bugle corps who execute incredibly well. Amazing marching and playing.

However, The electronic samples in their show kill the whole show for me and I'm sure many others (though I can't speak for anyone but myself). It's like there's a disconnect between what the audience likes and what the show designers (or maybe judges?) THINK that the audience likes. You would think they would get a clue by the size of the ovation at the end of their shows, but they don't appear to.

I only call out Blue Devils because so far, other than Blue Knights, they are the only corps I have seen that have a show that really just doesn't appeal to me. The electronics kill it for me every time. That's just how I am. I know there are people on here who LOVE this year's Blue Devils show. I am just offering my opinion as it relates to the current discussion. It's really not personal with me. I liked both Blue Devils and Blue Knights shows last year. I will most likely enjoy them in later years (assuming they don't keep up with the electronic crap) No doubt I will be given reds for this post. Sticks and stones...

Thanks for posting my thoughts for me - seriously. Ditto all of the above.

Not saying people should go goo goo over synths and electronics- I didn't with Cadets 2006. But I feel like BD and BK are simply using tools available. Like it or not, judges are not likely to beat a corps up for using equipment that is legal for drum corps use! I honestly would rather see drum corps without narration and synth but it's the activity we have now!

I truly LOL'd! Ha!