Sacramento Slushie Machine

1340632137[/url]' post='3156489']

Still in all, Boston for example is reportedly having a great time performing out West, and reports are they had a great time performing for the people out in Sacramento last night too.

I had a chance to speak with a few of BAC staff last night after they had performed. They indicated that their West Coast experience had been wonderful in all respects. One young staff member indicated that she would have no hesitation about doing it again!

I'm so glad BAC had a great time here in CA, and hope they know their presence here was well appreciated by us West Coast fans. Wishing them safe travels for the remainder of the tour.

"Y'all come back now, ya hear?"

Anyone have/find any video of the parking lot concerts?

• Like 1

Mo-Town or UC Davis would be good options to keep it in the general Stockton area. There's already a show at Buchanan so Clovis/Fresno is out.

I always enjoy the Buchanan show. The Buchanan band group has always done a good job hosting the show. If I had any problem this year it was that they didn't open the gates soon enough. There were two groups entertaining the crowds before the show and they started playing about the time the gates opened and probably were playing to an empty stadium.

As for DCI problems talk to the Boston Souvie trailer. They arrived late because of losing a tire on their trailer and having no directions from DCI as to where to go and where to setup. When they finally arrived they over shot the gate and I helped them back up the truck and trailer so they could get in the gate. When they finally let the spectators in I stopped by their setup and helped them unload and start to get set up. Needless to say they were frustrated and probably lost a lot of pre show sales. While I was still outside waiting to get in I watched the woman driving the truck/trailer and was impressed with her driving skills as she tried to back into her spot. The guy from the BK souvie truck who helped her was also impressed. DCI needs to work on helping these groups who drive all the way across the country for these shows.

Has DCI ever considered the Fresno State facility. Is it in bad form to have a show at Buchanan, Clovis one night and two nights later have one at Fresno State?

I wonder what Sac City College or American River College have in the way of facilities?

Well, I'm sure SOME will be looking carefully at their options for next year. My preference is that CSU Sac NOT be the venue in the future.

Sac City College stadium is in the middle of a rehab right now - next year? Good stadium - parking? Not so much.

American River College has a good field - though lots of major construction going on all around the campus and the stadium.

Both would be good venues for next year.

So what happened to UOP? UC Davis would be a great place for a show I'll bet!

I'm glad to hear Boston is having a great time! I hope they come back soon!

I'm jumping on this topic a little late, but obviously I am ashamed and embarrassed by our university's inability to get the lights working. I'm the one who actually filed the initial paperwork with the university to reserve the space for this event. We had asked, been confirmed for, and had paid for the lights to be on from 7-11pm. I was in the stands at 7pm. At 7:05pm I started calling people to find out what was going on since the lights had not come on as expected. We checked the individual poles, all of which had their breakers physically in the 'on' position, which tells me there was some sort of problem with the system which tells them to actually turn on (I don't know anything about the technical aspects of how this is SUPPOSED to work).

At this point we still don't know exactly what went wrong, whether it was a system failure or a screwed up programming job. The Facilities guy onsite (essentially part of the custodial staff), said that in 20 years of working events there he had never seen this happen. They did, incidentally, reach electricians offsite who were trying for over an hour to remotely activate the lights via computer (I didn't know they could do that...but obviously it didn't work). I don't know why there was no one onsite with knowledge of the lighting system or how to turn it on, since it had been reserved to be used, or if it was supposed to be on a timer why there was not someone at least on call who could come onsite if there was a problem.

As a representative of the Dept. of Music at Sac State, we're just peons in the university hierarchy, and we had but a small part in getting this show to Sacramento after it was found out fairly late in the game that UOP would no longer be available. We were just the middle man, as it were. But we were excited to see drum corps back in Sacramento. The great turnout (i believe more than double last year's event) showed us that fans were excited to see it here too. We felt utterly helpless last night since we personally had no direct control over the stadium facilities. All we can do really is to offer our apologies to S.O.M.E, who sponsors this event, and to the corps and fans who came out last night. Obviously some investigating will have to be done higher up than our department to find out what went wrong.

• Like 6

I'm jumping on this topic a little late, but obviously I am ashamed and embarrassed by our university's inability to get the lights working. I'm the one who actually filed the initial paperwork with the university to reserve the space for this event. We had asked, been confirmed for, and had paid for the lights to be on from 7-11pm. I was in the stands at 7pm. At 7:05pm I started calling people to find out what was going on since the lights had not come on as expected. We checked the individual poles, all of which had their breakers physically in the 'on' position, which tells me there was some sort of problem with the system which tells them to actually turn on (I don't know anything about the technical aspects of how this is SUPPOSED to work).

At this point we still don't know exactly what went wrong, whether it was a system failure or a screwed up programming job. The Facilities guy onsite (essentially part of the custodial staff), said that in 20 years of working events there he had never seen this happen. They did, incidentally, reach electricians offsite who were trying for over an hour to remotely activate the lights via computer (I didn't know they could do that...but obviously it didn't work). I don't know why there was no one onsite with knowledge of the lighting system or how to turn it on, since it had been reserved to be used, or if it was supposed to be on a timer why there was not someone at least on call who could come onsite if there was a problem.

As a representative of the Dept. of Music at Sac State, we're just peons in the university hierarchy, and we had but a small part in getting this show to Sacramento after it was found out fairly late in the game that UOP would no longer be available. We were just the middle man, as it were. But we were excited to see drum corps back in Sacramento. The great turnout (i believe more than double last year's event) showed us that fans were excited to see it here too. We felt utterly helpless last night since we personally had no direct control over the stadium facilities. All we can do really is to offer our apologies to S.O.M.E, who sponsors this event, and to the corps and fans who came out last night. Obviously some investigating will have to be done higher up than our department to find out what went wrong.

Thanks for the update Glenn. I would not have wanted to be in your shoes last night. Thank you for your efforts to get the lights turned on.

• Like 1

As I have posted elsewhere ...

The Sponsors of Musical Enrichment deeply regrets the disappointment suffered by our drum corps family, both fans and corps, due to the issue with the lights not coming on at the Stadium for the 2012 Moonlight Classic. It is not something that any show sponsor has ever run into with a “professionally run stadium”. As per DCI Policy, this will be treated similar to a “rain out” that is more common in the mid-west and eastern shows, so no scores will be announced.

Thank you for your patience as we deal with this delicate situation, including first and foremost our fans, and Sacramento State University.

UPDATED: changed "per DCI rules" to "per DCI Policy"

Edited by jeff_demello

A good portion of the money raised by this event does get back to the corps in ways other than just their appearance fees. The Sponsors Of Musical Enrichment, the group that sponsors this show every year, is a great organization that has done a great deal to help not only DCI, but many other music programs in the area who need outside monetary support. For example, part of the money from this show usually goes to scholarships for corps member's education. Despite last night's unfortunate outcome, SOME will make sure $$ gets to the corps. They are a good group, and first and foremost, they will do right by the kids in the corps.

S.O.M.E. is perhaps the closest drum corps gets to pure altruism.

• Like 1

A good portion of the money raised by this event does get back to the corps in ways other than just their appearance fees. The Sponsors Of Musical Enrichment, the group that sponsors this show every year, is a great organization that has done a great deal to help not only DCI, but many other music programs in the area who need outside monetary support. For example, part of the money from this show usually goes to scholarships for corps member's education. Despite last night's unfortunate outcome, SOME will make sure $$ gets to the corps. They are a good group, and first and foremost, they will do right by the kids in the corps.

Thank you!

Just for everyone's information: 100% of all funds raised by SOME goes back into scholarships (i.e., the DCI "Jim Ott Memorial Scholarship") and grants back to performing arts groups. The Board of Directors are all volunteers, doing this for the love of the activity. No one gets paid. It may seem like an overused comment, but it's still true: "It's all about the kids".

• Like 1