Sacramento Slushie Machine

Well said Glenn. I know we had talked earlier when you first encountered the problem and was really hoping things would turn out (or on) for the best. Had the lights come on I think many of the little problems like the locked restrooms and single-open gate would have been overlooked and considered things to work on for next year.

In this instance I blame the Sac State facilities crew and the pretentious Sac State hierarchy who seem to think they are running UC Sacramento. As an alumn, I was embarrassed not just for Sac State, but also Sacramento as a city. The opportunity to showcase this niche activity we all love comes along once a year in corps world, and frankly we blew it.

Glenn, I hope you send your thoughts or a copy of your post to DCI and SOME. I think they need to know that you and everyone there last night were trying every avenue to keep the show going.

I believe Hornet Field can and will be a great venue for drum corps in the future, as evident by the huge fan turnout. Back in the 80s and 90s many a corps show was scene there with no issue. Sac State just needs to learn that a paying customer should get all the help they require and then some.

• Like 1

What an unfortunate turn of events last night - though SCV's face melting standstill in the lot made up for some of this mess. Although I'd been to the Moonlight show on a regular basis since the mid-1980s, I couldn't have been more thrilled to have this show just one freeway exit from my house in Sacramento. Some friends of mine who hadn't been to a show in 10+ years were especially bummed.

Anyway, I would love to see this show move to Hughes Stadium at Sac City College, site of the old Sound Expo shows. That is, if the stadium's ready in time and can accommodate the crowd. Last night's turnout was big - anyone have a rough attendance figure?

Has DCI ever considered the Fresno State facility. Is it in bad form to have a show at Buchanan, Clovis one night and two nights later have one at Fresno State?

Not going to happen. Fresno State is very protective of their facilities, they barely let the football team in there during the summer. They just put new turf down last year from what I've been told, so they try not to let many people on there. I know SCV and Boston both tried to get into the stadium for practice, and were very swiftly denied

Yes, FSU has a brand new field, but they were protective of the old field as well. We were only allowed on the field on game day and at that, we were only allowed to do a couple run-throughs.

Interesting news video here:

http://www.fox40.com/videogallery/70670749/News/Drum-and-Bugle-Core-Moonlight-Classic-Moves-to-Sac-State

Can see a few interviews about the show and some interesting comments by the female commentator at the end.

Here is the local newspaper article. Be sure to click on and read the comment at the end of the article:

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktxl-dci-moonlight-classic-sacramento-20120530,0,3165333.story#tugs_story_display

Well said Glenn. I know we had talked earlier when you first encountered the problem and was really hoping things would turn out (or on) for the best. Had the lights come on I think many of the little problems like the locked restrooms and single-open gate would have been overlooked and considered things to work on for next year.

In this instance I blame the Sac State facilities crew and the pretentious Sac State hierarchy who seem to think they are running UC Sacramento. As an alumn, I was embarrassed not just for Sac State, but also Sacramento as a city. The opportunity to showcase this niche activity we all love comes along once a year in corps world, and frankly we blew it.

Glenn, I hope you send your thoughts or a copy of your post to DCI and SOME. I think they need to know that you and everyone there last night were trying every avenue to keep the show going.

I believe Hornet Field can and will be a great venue for drum corps in the future, as evident by the huge fan turnout. Back in the 80s and 90s many a corps show was scene there with no issue. Sac State just needs to learn that a paying customer should get all the help they require and then some.

Sac State really dropped the ball :huh2:

I had to, it was just hanging there :w00t:

Not going to happen. Fresno State is very protective of their facilities, they barely let the football team in there during the summer. They just put new turf down last year from what I've been told, so they try not to let many people on there. I know SCV and Boston both tried to get into the stadium for practice, and were very swiftly denied

I have heard what you are saying but I would have swarn that there are high school band competitions there in the fall.

In July 2011 they removed the natural grass and replaced it with Field Turf which should be more durable for band and drum corps events.

The California UC system in California claims to be falling on hard times. Maybe it is time to rent out the stadium and make a few bucks.

Wait... So UOP closed or what did they say? I loved the sound quality of UOP.

UOP stadium was closed / condemned.

Wait... So UOP closed or what did they say? I loved the sound quality of UOP.

This is the latest article I could find.

It doesnt come right out and say they are tearing down the stadium, but its about as close as anyone can get without saying it.

http://thepacificanonline.com/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4013:historical-stagg-memorial-stadium-crumbles&catid=788:volume-103-issue-31&Itemid=4