DCI Fan Network

This is my third year using the Fan Network, and I am more satisfied than unsatisfied, but there are a few items that I would like to see changed or upgraded.

1. To date, the recording quality of the first two shows has been poor to average at best, I am sure that will be improve over the next few weeks. I am assuming they used mics placed either higher up or in the stands. What venue will have the first decent recording?

2. As far as APDs are concerned, members should be able to stream this current year, one reason is once I own the Finals recording of a given year, I do not usually listen to early season recordings. I know a percentage of the sale goes to corps, but there needs to be an option to stream on the computer.

3. Match Blue Devils as far as mobile capabilities. I know iPhone users are out of luck so to speak, but I am willing to bet that you possibly could get more subscribers if you were more mobile friendly.

4. Last but not least, expand the archives, there are videos out there of corps 13-? and prelims, Quarterfinals etc... that need to be archived. I know it is time consuming and perhaps $$, but without this happening, it is very likely those corps members will never see their performances again if they do not own the original tapes.

Edited by ohbaby

This is my third year using the Fan Network, and I am more satisfied than unsatisfied, but there are a few items that I would like to see changed or upgraded.

1. To date, the recording quality of the first two shows has been poor to average at best, I am sure that will be improve over the next few weeks. I am assuming they used mics placed either higher up or in the stands. What venue will have the first decent recording?

2. As far as APDs are concerned, members should be able to stream this current year, one reason is once I own the Finals recording of a given year, I do not usually listen to early season recordings. I know a percentage of the sale goes to corps, but there needs to be an option to stream on the computer.

3. Match Blue Devils as far as mobile capabilities. I know iPhone users are out of luck so to speak, but I am willing to bet that you possibly could get more subscribers if you were more mobile friendly.

4. Last but not least, expand the archives, there are videos out there of corps 13-? and prelims, Quarterfinals etc... that need to be archived. I know it is time consuming and perhaps $$, but without this happening, it is very likely those corps members will never see their performances again if they do not own the original tapes.

#4 is is my biggest gripe. Not being able to listen to '93 Freelancers is a shame. Really wish they'd get on that.

• Like 1

I love the fan network! I just wish they had more early season shows. I know that the shows are still rough in June, but it'll give us something. I also love to see as many corps early on, so I know which shows I want to do well!

At the Stanford show the computer board that handles sound had to be changed on the fly, so all the settings that were worked on earlier in the day were lost. I think they are doing a GREAT job being PREPARED for unforeseen contingencies at these events. And yes I could hear the crackle at times in the Stanford recording. I think if they used finals quality audio/visual equipment, then prices of FN admission would go up dramatically IMO.

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Re #3, Fan Network VODs work fine on iPhone and iPad. Live streaming is still not possible, but they do know about it.

I think they are doing all they can with they money they have to work with. I was just looking at the list of live shows coming up and I think they've more than doubled the number of live streams this year.

Re #1, IIRC, last year Denver was the first show with really great audio quality (though it suffered from unfortunate mike placement). I'm going to guess it depends on the venue and the prep time the staff has.

#4 is a good one. I for one would love to see Troopers the years they didn't make it. Some really great shows from several corps did't make the top 12. This is the biggest wish for me.