DCP Echoing an Emotion of Negativity

Ive seen many members over the past few years sent home, some right before championships, due to personal postings and airing laundry.

Yikes. Perhaps those young people learned that in the real world you can lose your job for posting inappropriate things online.

Yikes. Perhaps those young people learned that in the real world you can lose your job for posting inappropriate things online.

one would hope eventually...sometimes it takes a few smacks to get the picture.....unfortunately....I know of 1 that left with an attitude ..then did the same in winter because ( as he put it ) he could and was his right....lol...well guess what happened?....lol..yep...thrown out of his winter program also.

~~~~~~

During the '60s Golden Age, no Corps depended one smidgen on the VFW, AL, PAL or CYO in 1969 anyway, beyond those groups' sponsorship of their nationals and, in the cases of the VFW and AL, rulemaking. That's an overblown myth promulgated by the excusemakers in the Midwest Combine and its successor DCI to justify their being. In 1969 there were easily twenty times the Corps than there are "corps" now.

Ask the members of both St Lucy's and St Martin's in Newark when the parish pulled the plug on them. The first corps I marched with was 100% dependent on the VFW post that sponsored them. Holy Name came thisclose to folding when the church pulled their support.

Two other corps I taught had lots of problems surviving when the sponsor pulled their support.

Nobody denies there were many more corps than today...the reason for the decline is where we differ.

If you want to march and have an opportunity to do so, you should do it. If you like the activity, you'll love your year in drum corps.

I bought records from 1982 until 1988, the first year they produced CDs. I bought CDs until 2005 - 24 years of drum corps music. I have also purchased VHS tapes and DVDs through the couple of decades. I've been to finals at least 20 times, the last time in 2007. I also went to the first several movie theater events.

While my support waned over the last decade, I quit drum corps a few years ago and haven't been to a show in two years. I'll come to DCP to read reviews and get some news here and there, but attending shows is frustrating. I prefer acoustic drum corps played with traditional instruments. I like powerful hornlines that play recognizable or interesting music. I love the changes in drill over the past decade or two (four count moves, quick form changes, etc.) I like stories and messages communicated through music - notes and beats - not vocals.

I still financially support corps. I donated enough money to be in a club level with a corps I marched. I put together a "matching plan" for a performer last year, matching any funds he raised through asking his friends and family. Money was the only thing stopping him from marching and he's marching this year as well. I also give money to any kids I've taught while they were in their high school marching band.

While I fully support the benefits from being a member in the activity, drum corps has changed into something I would not call drum corps. Going to shows was frustrating, especially to see one corps possibly play something I like. It's arrogant and condescending for current fans who enjoy this kind of drum corps to tell old timers that "they simply don;t get it." My response is that they don't get it. While the activity is not much different from how the activity was when I marched, there are a few things that truly are unbearable. I don't like the cut-n-past arrangements, guard focused shows, and most certainly can't stand amps - especially when used to amplify the human voice. So I will support from afar and let the people who are interested in going to shows have great seats.

• Like 2

If you want to march and have an opportunity to do so, you should do it. If you like the activity, you'll love your year in drum corps.

I bought records from 1982 until 1988, the first year they produced CDs. I bought CDs until 2005 - 24 years of drum corps music. I have also purchased VHS tapes and DVDs through the couple of decades. I've been to finals at least 20 times, the last time in 2007. I also went to the first several movie theater events.

While my support waned over the last decade, I quit drum corps a few years ago and haven't been to a show in two years. I'll come to DCP to read reviews and get some news here and there, but attending shows is frustrating. I prefer acoustic drum corps played with traditional instruments. I like powerful hornlines that play recognizable or interesting music. I love the changes in drill over the past decade or two (four count moves, quick form changes, etc.) I like stories and messages communicated through music - notes and beats - not vocals.

I still financially support corps. I donated enough money to be in a club level with a corps I marched. I put together a "matching plan" for a performer last year, matching any funds he raised through asking his friends and family. Money was the only thing stopping him from marching and he's marching this year as well. I also give money to any kids I've taught while they were in their high school marching band.

While I fully support the benefits from being a member in the activity, drum corps has changed into something I would not call drum corps. Going to shows was frustrating, especially to see one corps possibly play something I like. It's arrogant and condescending for current fans who enjoy this kind of drum corps to tell old timers that "they simply don;t get it." My response is that they don't get it. While the activity is not much different from how the activity was when I marched, there are a few things that truly are unbearable. I don't like the cut-n-past arrangements, guard focused shows, and most certainly can't stand amps - especially when used to amplify the human voice. So I will support from afar and let the people who are interested in going to shows have great seats.

drum corps is still drum corps. as Ive told others including dozens of family members from 1947 to now. Just because some things changes why isnt it drum corps? Who said it ever had to stay exactly the same from when we or they were in. Why would we want lack of growth or change? AS far as guard focused I see from your signature you marched early 80s. Let me let you in on a secret. The activity was guard focused back then also. It started before you actually marched and was a huge part of the process of putting together a show and stealing the show in many cases. ( PR, 27th lancers, Bridgemen, A. Kingsmen, And many more.

BUT, even perceptions , along with our activity, IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE......ALL OF IT

dont get me wrong..I think there have been some great things done within our activity over the years and I do miss a few things which made it great BITD..like loyalty, community,cost of course BUT to think things would stay the same isnt very realistic...what hasnt chaned in the world in the past 30 years.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

drum corps is still drum corps. as Ive told others including dozens of family members from 1947 to now. Just because some things changes why isnt it drum corps? Who said it ever had to stay exactly the same from when we or they were in. Why would we want lack of growth or change? AS far as guard focused I see from your signature you marched early 80s. Let me let you in on a secret. The activity was guard focused back then also. It started before you actually marched and was a huge part of the process of putting together a show and stealing the show in many cases. ( PR, 27th lancers, Bridgemen, A. Kingsmen, And many more.

BUT, even perceptions , along with our activity, IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE......ALL OF IT

dont get me wrong..I think there have been some great things done within our activity over the years and I do miss a few things which made it great BITD..like loyalty, community,cost of course BUT to think things would stay the same isnt very realistic...what hasnt chaned in the world in the past 30 years.

you both have valid points. we'll never be neighborhood drum corps again. But even with some improvements this year, show design is not what it could be in terms of getting ##### in the seats

you both have valid points. we'll never be neighborhood drum corps again. But even with some improvements this year, show design is not what it could be in terms of getting ##### in the seats

It is what it is and I think what some think will put butts in seats those same things drive others away...this will not change and there are points on both sides of that...Could be the drum corps thing is just in its fading period just as it did from time to time in the past.

Do you really want that? Then, you'll need to kick the music majors to the curb and turn this activity over to the marketing majors. But get ready for heavy doses of Stars and Stripes Forever and Ghost Riders in the Sky, etc.

• Like 1

Do you really want that? Then, you'll need to kick the music majors to the curb and turn this activity over to the marketing majors. But get ready for heavy doses of Stars and Stripes Forever and Ghost Riders in the Sky, etc.

It doesn't have to be an extreme slide. it doesn't even really have to change the stuff being chosen to play...just how it's arranged. still too much cut and paste, not enough long flowing melodic moments

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be an extreme slide. it doesn't even really have to change the stuff being chosen to play...just how it's arranged. still too much cut and paste, not enough long flowing melodic moments

....I agree some is extreme BUT for me anyway I think sometimes when all of a sudden I hear something Im like OMG did you hear how they fit that in.....seems creative..noone realy has to like it or agree with it...just a matter of taste which then doesnt make it a right or wrong..and also depends who you talk to..... can be a very personal thing

Edited by GUARDLING