Where are the Blue Devils?

I don't think cramming in as many shows as possible does more for the activity than being fiscally responsible, and running some of the best clinics you can send a kid to. Devils didn't get where they are by making stupid decisions, especially when it comes to money. It's no different today under Dave Gibbs than it was with Mike Moxley or Jerry Seawright.

I don’t know about that, guess it depends upon your version about the what’s best health of the activity. Filling Blue Devils pockets with money or helping another corps by adding to the draw at their show?

Those clinics are a money making deal for BD only and it appears they can make more money on a clinic promoting the Blue Devils /System Blue brand than doing another corps show. I think the greater good of drum corps would be better served with BD doing another corps show, helping another corps sell more tickets adding to their finical health. And really, aren’t those clinics band focused anyway, do they have woodwinds at them?

Others in this thread claim that this has been going on for years, I’m really noticing it this year because of BAC and Regiment being out there and seeing all the shows that BD are not doing. Always gave BD the benefit of the doubt that there were fewer show opportunities but that doesn’t appear to be the case. Makes me wonder why other corps should even go out there if BD is just going to sit at home practicing

And stacking all those extra rehearsal days in order to WIN, it’s gutless – if the other corps played that game, we’d be out 2 weeks of the season so it really does come at the expense of other corps

I have no doubt that Blue Devils are doing what’s best for them and I have every doubt they are doing what best for DCI or the Drum Corps which is fine but I’m still a bit burn about them selling the G7 as for the good of all corps and then failing to live up to that promise

Curious about the shows BD attends out west as opposed to the ones they pass on and the shows’ sponsors

• Like 2

well, a couple years ago, the Blue Devils put their name on a proposal that would have re-arranged the season, focusing their competition days on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, thus allowing them the other days to practice. Additionally, the proposal included the idea that the "lower" corps should only participate in weekday shows (and Saturday). Essentially, this would keep BD from dealing with the riffraff corps.

perhaps BD is just enacting their plan?

here is the text, if you forgot:

 Touring Corps ( AA) will perform Monday through Thursday and Saturday.

 Tour of Champions will perform Friday through Sunday and once or twice during the week

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

This week they skipped the small show in Santa Clara to come down to SoCal to run a few days of the System Blue music camps. Contrary to the original OP's comments, BD has hardly let down their West Coast fans.

A friend's son is participating in the camp, and she says he's having a great time.

• Like 1

A friend's son is participating in the camp, and she says he's having a great time.

Great to hear!

Obviously a philosophical debate can be had between what is "best" for the activity:

1) Blue Devils (the winningest corps in DCI History, winning 3/5 of the last years) going to as many small shows in their region as possible. This would mean potentially more people coming to shows to see a competitively strong corps (though if opinion on DCP is to be believed a lot of people aren't entertained/interested in BD anyway, right?).

2) Blue Devils skipping some small shows in their region to do more "community outreach" type of clinics. Critics will see this as a moneymaking opportunity while fans might see it as a way for Blue Devils to reach out to younger fans and give them a personal 'taste' of drum corps via instruction and potential rehearsal opportunities for kids to play with BD's current ensemble(s).

I don't know what's "best" but I see the comment above and it's clear that Blue Devils are doing good with their clinics.

• Like 2

I'm very disappointed that BD & SCV have apparently given up on the Pacific Northwest. Not all that long ago, we'd get one or both for the Oregon/Washington shows. Vanguard last came in 2009, BD in 2008. Don't get me wrong - the Cadets were very appreciated last summer, and I'm sure Boston will be this year.

But it would have been a great draw to have SCV vs. Boston or BD vs. Phantom at these shows.

While I understand the disappointment, I don't think it's a matter of giving up on the Northwest. It's more a matter of not being able to be in two places at one time. Do they go north and do the Oregon and Washington shows, or go south and do the SoCal shows? As CA corps I understand the decision to go south.

they're hurting themselves not competing. no show fees and no feedback from judges, i dont understand why a corps would sit out with so many shows "close to home"

People are forgeting that the majority of the shows in CA are sponsored by corps. Pacific Crest in the case of San Diego and Walnut. The makeup of the lineup has a huge impact on the cost charged by DCI to the sponsor. The Blue Devils are one of the three most expensive corps to have at your show. It is a wise financial decision for Pacific Crest to have the Blue Devils at Walnut and not San Diego.

Unless a sponsor has rain insurance one can lose a ton of money putting on a show just ask the Madison Scouts how much they lost with the rainout in Merriville last night. Sponsors are taking huge risks putting on drum corps shows these days. That is the resason why many sponsors have left DCI.

Blue Devils don't need the show fees or feedback from judges. They have a business model that has been successful for many years and they are not about to change it.

Edited by dcifanforlife

1341002718[/url]' post='3159862']

I think it's a good show of sportsmanship and generosity that Blue Devils are marching in less shows. They're spreading the wealth and letting other corps win for a change. Phantom travelled all the way out to CA, and with BD not performing as often PR gets to take home a few 1st place wins for their troubles thanks to BD sitting a few shows out :ph34r:

:tongue:

I didn,t mean to neg your post. My fat fingers were trying to plus you on my iPad. Sorry.

1341002967[/url]' post='3159869']

ph34r.gif

I mean.. they are my hot dog corps anyway!! I need them to perform so i can go get a snack!!!

devil.gif

He likes em well done. :-D

Ithought it was funny. +one

they're hurting themselves not competing. no show fees and no feedback from judges, i dont understand why a corps would sit out with so many shows "close to home"

eh... at this point in the season, I don't really think any corps needs comments from judges to know what they need to work on. There is plenty of time to tweak design stuff to satisfy judges in the 2nd half of July.

and while they aren't getting show fees, I'm sure they are getting fees from clinic participants and they are probably selling other merchandise to them as well.

i think the obvious answer as to why they would sit out the shows is that they feel that they don't need the shows to accomplish either their competitive or financial goals for the season.