Drums Along the Rockies

I enjoyed the standstill performances...especially SCV, when they lead off with Eric Whitaker. PR's soloist was awesome. Not so impressed with BD...sure, they sound good but if their show isn't a whole lot better than what I heard...who cares about them.

You know, here I was, reading the New York Times and DCP back and forth, and when I came to your beautifully formed, stunningly written, in-depth critique of the Blue Devils, I just felt the need to put down the Times entirely and acknowledge your genius with words.

Edited by dapperpoet
  • Like 4

Just got caught up on the comments although I watched most of the feed delayed (after Kalamazoo) last evening. It really was interesting to hear the shows w/o electronics. When I first tuned in it was the two women on the field presenting a Colorado Senate proclamation to DATR. Several times the one reading the proclamation said "Drums and Bugles Corps" Well, at least it wasn't Corp. Enjoyed the feed. Kudos to FN.

Can't wait until Minneapolis. Then San Antonio (I'll be there!).

Good luck to all corps.

You know, here I was, reading the New York Times and DCP back and forth, and when I came to your beautifully formed, stunningly written, in-depth critique of the Blue Devils, I just felt the need to put down the Times entirely and acknowledge your genius with words.

It's ok for some people to not like your corps. It's called an opinion, and there's no need to attack someone for it.

• Like 2

It's ok for some people to not like your corps. It's called an opinion, and there's no need to attack someone for it.

Not one single word of attack there.

• Like 4

Not one single word of attack there.

Passive aggressive insults, then.

• Like 2

Sir, you flatter me...I think. :rock:

When I read your words, I couldn't help but wonder where all that came from, so I looked at your profile, came upon your "liking BD" thread and gained understanding. You're a BD Dad. I can relate because I'm a BK Dad. However, I suggest you would benefit from a thicker skin.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, this bit of off-topic back and forth ends here.

I have a FN-type question - do they broadcast through the encore. What I'm really wanting to find out is that if I sign up and go into the archives for last nights Drums, will I get to see my son on the podium do his solo during the encore. Very proud looking at pictures on facebook, but I really want to see it. And oh how I wish Denver wasn't so very far away last night.

Thanks!

Just for the record about BK's synths... I could be totally wrong about this, because last night was anything but ordinary, but I was in the stadium live and am pretty sure that BK WAS using their full electronic setup. Not only did I see the equipment, but am pretty sure that I heard the "space agey" effects coming from it. What I'm getting at is that I think the fact that the synth wasn't as overwhelming as what we have seen from earlier performances may in fact be a permanent and deliberate change. Like I said, I may be wrong, and it is always possible that something either shorted out or was turned off early on in the show when the rain really started pouring, but I'm holding out hope that the design team has seen the light and really HAS backed off on it. If so, it is a MAJOR upgrade to the show, because Firebird sounds SO much classier without it.

Edited by mr1138

Well, look at the bright side. At least you put down the NY Times, if ever so briefly.

• Like 2

There is an interesting (and possibly apocryphal) story about these recordings, which I bought at Kmart as cut-out records in...1977? I knew one of the studio musicians who worked on this, and he said that Sebesky was p-o'd at the record company and his contract, and he had X number of tracks to provide to them. So he got his friends (and it's an impressive collection) to come into the studio in a couple of days and jam them all together. It's one of the weirdest and most uneven records in my collection, but when it's good, it's really good.

But it has Billy Cobham on it and they do McLaughlin!

I thought the BK performance was one of the most energetic performances I have ever seen. wish I was there live to see it. It was nice to see BD do some space chords and malfree which everyone should experience at least once.