Drums Along the Rockies

Well, look at the bright side. At least you put down the NY Times, if ever so briefly.

Now THAT was funny

Just for the record about BK's synths... I could be totally wrong about this, because last night was anything but ordinary, but I was in the stadium live and am pretty sure that BK WAS using their full electronic setup. Not only did I see the equipment, but am pretty sure that I heard the "space agey" effects coming from it. What I'm getting at is that I think the fact that the synth wasn't as overwhelming as what we have seen from earlier performances may in fact be a permanent and deliberate change. Like I said, I may be wrong, and it is always possible that something either shorted out or was turned off early on in the show when the rain really started pouring, but I'm holding out hope that the design team has seen the light and really HAS backed off on it. If so, it is a MAJOR upgrade to the show, because Firebird sounds SO much classier without it.

I "heard" there was going to be some "tweaking" regarding the electronics.....so perhaps we did see exactly that. Here's hoping, because I too liked the show even more last night. There definitely were the synth effects.....but so much less.

• Like 1

Yep yep!! Plus I loved the new hit in the opener that was a great change as well! Drum and pit feature before brass double toungue seemed shorter and the synth was way down during that section!! This show is coming on and as Harry Carey would say Holy Cow what a Drumline and guard. Maybe best they've both been since 2000

You know, here I was, reading the New York Times and DCP back and forth, and when I came to your beautifully formed, stunningly written, in-depth critique of the Blue Devils, I just felt the need to put down the Times entirely and acknowledge your genius with words.

Well, then, how about this: Their musical phrases are disjointed, which is nothing new for them recently, except this year, they attempt to justify it under the guise of some pretentious French dude voice over during their performance, telling me how I'm supposed to be impressed that it's all about nothing. There's a 2 minute spot near the end of the show that's pretty cool. They sure are talented, I wish their staff would deliver them a show worthy of their musical abilities.

Is that better? If only marginally? It's no less one-sided than the NYT. Funny, often it's the Cadets who I think are trying too hard, with rabbits and tables and taxi cab doors and other doors and Martha Graham quotes and I Believe In Now and such. This year it's the opposite - I can't get enough of the Cadets, and I love their music, while BD leaves me unimpressed with the faux sophistication. In My Opinion, of course, yowza yowza.

• Like 5

I have a FN-type question - do they broadcast through the encore. What I'm really wanting to find out is that if I sign up and go into the archives for last nights Drums, will I get to see my son on the podium do his solo during the encore. Very proud looking at pictures on facebook, but I really want to see it. And oh how I wish Denver wasn't so very far away last night.

Thanks!

The full encore is on the FN, trumpets on podium included.....

But it has Billy Cobham on it and they do McLaughlin!

I thought the BK performance was one of the most energetic performances I have ever seen. wish I was there live to see it. It was nice to see BD do some space chords and malfree which everyone should experience at least once.

I've also recently been listening to George Benson's The Other Side of Abbey Road :)

To BKTrumpetMom. I got FN for $69.53 (after exchange rate) and it's worth every penny, imo. The July 7 encore in Denver starts at 3:57 :D

BK did use all of their electronics last night but they were turned down a little. It was a great show. They didn't use some of their new additions because of the weather, but it's going to be impressive.

The kids that fell are all okay. The mood at the buses was awesome, I see them soaring as people begin to understand the show and as it cleans.

The stand stills were great. SCV had me out of my seat. I was sad to see BD's drum performance wasn't shown on FN it was fun. Just opinion, but there is something to be said about stand stills; listening to the corps music without judging the show is almost liberating. The solo's stood out and were beautiful. When corps are on the field most are watching and judging who needs cleaning or what needs to be done as far as the drill, something is lost in the music. I know it's about the whole package but having that music played in your face was the bomb. The stadium shook at times with the power of the sound.

Again, kudos to BK who didn't let their home town down. It was a great night, I don't feel like I missed anything. I am excited to watch everyone's entire show to see how it all comes together. It's going to be a crazy year.

I hope you can kinda understand where I'm coming from, stand stills were a whole new experience for me. I thought I'd be disappointed but left the stadium with a big smile.

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

BK did use all of their electronics last night but they were turned down a little. It was a great show. They didn't use some of their new additions because of the weather, but it's going to be impressive.

The kids that fell are all okay. The mood at the buses was awesome, I see them soaring as people begin to understand the show and as it cleans.

The stand stills were great. SCV had me out of my seat. I was sad to see BD's drum performance wasn't shown on FN it was fun. Just opinion, but there is something to be said about stand stills; listening to the corps music without judging the show is almost liberating. The solo's stood out and were beautiful. When corps are on the field most are watching and judging who needs cleaning or what needs to be done as far as the drill, something is lost in the music. I know it's about the whole package but having that music played in your face was the bomb. The stadium shook at times with the power of the sound.

Again, kudos to BK who didn't let their home town down. It was a great night, I don't feel like I missed anything. I am excited to watch everyone's entire show to see how it all comes together. It's going to be a crazy year.

I hope you can kinda understand where I'm coming from, stand stills were a whole new experience for me. I thought I'd be disappointed but left the stadium with a big smile.

Is it true that BD changed and shortened their standstill performance so BK could do a full field show? If so thats classy and bad*** of BD. And that BK show is gonna be dangerous come August.

Tricia, good to know that the kids who fell are all okay. I saw a couple of the falls, and they looked like they could have been hurt. I know how hard it is to march on a wet field like that, so it's good that they got through it okay. It was really cool to see them perform their full show.

Was I the only one that saw their pit packing up some stuff before the show started? The Fan Network feed zoomed in on the pit, and I saw some stuff getting put away. Anyone know what they were storing up? I'm not a percussionist, so I can't identify every instrument