Centerville Soaring Sounds

Wow. Not at all how I expected drum scores to fall out, but ok. Should make MN even more interesting.

maybe not everything you see on the interwebs is true :-\ dcp was pretty sure that guard and percussion would be crown's achilles this season...

also interesting to see Spirit taking 3rd in a number of captions.

For point of reference this is Centerville Stadium:

Thanks for the report and the photo! My older sister and her husband used to live just a couple blocks from the statium. Like her, I attended UD, and once went to a Centerville football game (c. 1991) where I was amused to see that their "Jazz Band" (marching band) marched an electric bass, with another member walking beside with the bass amp on a two-wheel dolly.

Thanks for the report and the photo! My older sister and her husband used to live just a couple blocks from the statium. Like her, I attended UD, and once went to a Centerville football game (c. 1991) where I was amused to see that their "Jazz Band" (marching band) marched an electric bass, with another member walking beside with the bass amp on a two-wheel dolly.

I'm a Flyer too! :thumbup:

I also remember the marching bass and marching amp member!! And wouldn't you know, The Centerville Jazz Band won BOA Grand Nationals the next year in 1992! I'm convinced that the CJB is the most well known high school marching band in the nation, especially after the movie, 'From the 50 Yard Line" came out....The elks are/were bitter rivals of the HS that I went too: Huber Heights Wayne! :devil:

And wouldn't you know, The Centerville Jazz Band won BOA Grand Nationals the next year in 1992!

I remember when I learned that: I knew nothing of BOA, and was very surprised to discover they were so highly rated, which I did when my roommate's family stopped by on their way home after his younger brother's high school (Westerville South, near Columbus) took 4th that year.

I remember when I learned that: I knew nothing of BOA, and was very surprised to discover they were so highly rated, which I did when my roommate's family stopped by on their way home after his younger brother's high school (Westerville South, near Columbus) took 4th that year.

Ah, the demise of the Westerville South Marching Band, it's the saddest band story I can think of. From 4th in the Nation, to not even having a band program less than 10 years later. :sad:

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

Ah, the demise of the Westerville South Marching Band, it's the saddest band story I can think of. From 4th in the Nation to not even having a band program less than 10 years later. :sad:

Loved their show in 1991 with the W. Francis McBeth's "Of Sailors and Whales" piece.

Some corps should definitely do that. Perhaps, SCV or Crown?

Edited by jjeffeory

The guard was VERY inconsistent and sloppy....almost as if half of them were tweaking on crystal meth while performing....

Sounds like you have a bit of experience in that area. Thanks for spotting that for us!

tic.gifblink.gifalien.gif

maybe not everything you see on the interwebs is true :-\ dcp was pretty sure that guard and percussion would be crown's achilles this season...

The percussion is a serious problem. The guard, however, is the most talented Crown's ever had. The guard uniforms and staging, however, are a major issue they need to get figured out.

• Like 1

Loved their show in 1991 with the W. Francis McBeth's "Of Sailors and Whales" piece.

Some corps should definitely do that. Perhaps, SCV or Crown?

Good idea. I could actually see it going to Crown or Cadets, but I agree with you. Great piece that could go well on the field

Good idea. I could actually see it going to Crown or Cadets, but I agree with you. Great piece that could go well on the field

Sorry everyone, this is off topic, but I gotta this once!

You'd really need to see Westerville South's take on the piece. I've seen another version from another band from Texas. The arrangement was not remotely as good and it wasn't their whole show.

Oh well...

Back on topic everyone!

I love that venue!