Bowling Green Lanes

And the recap is empty (as of right now).

DCI decided to take the "no drum judge" idea to extremes.

Edited by mobrien

I'm late, but I might as well get this in here.

Now for some BG gripes:

1. You do NOT refer to your stadium as "The Doyt".

2. You do NOT post a publicly available wi-fi signal, only to restrict it with a login which visitors to your campus cannot have.

1) The stadium is named after Doyt Perry (yes that's his real name and he is kind of awesome). He was head coach in the 50's and 60's and probably the best coach in school history, leading BGSU to a small college championship in 1959 as well as 5 MAC titles. Before that he was on staff as a backfield coach at (T)OSU with Woody and Bo and helped lead them to the 1954 National Championship. He's also in the College Football Hall of Fame.

2) Welcome to Post-9/11-College-Cost-Cutting-Methods-America. We also make you pay $.05 for each page you print as a student on a campus computer.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Earlier in this thread, there was some discussion about this show being at the Glass Bowl vs. Doyt. Here is an interesting fact with regard to this...

In 1961, the University of Toledo procured a genuine rocket from the U.S. Army missile program. The one-ton rocket, which sits outside the Glass Bowl — aimed to hit the 50 yard line of arch-rival Bowling Green's Doyt Perry stadium — carries two sets of fins and a propellant booster capable of guiding the missile to supersonic velocity. (source NCAA WIKI)

rocket.jpg

Recaps fixed! Crown still has an 83.2 (vs the previous 83.8). But what's 0.6 between friends.:cool:

Looking forward to hearing about faces ripping off and such. Pity I won't be able to see that.

Good luck to Crown and all the corps.

Thanks!! Traveling with the corps now, these guys and gals are amazing, not just from Crown, all of them

Crown's show is a large reason why I'm sitting up in the press box and not with Brad at field level, much as I love me some Brad Bell.

Hope you enjoyed! It is a great product!

Just got back from the almost 3 hour drive to BGSU...but certainly worth it. WOW...what great performances by the Bluecoats and Carolina Crown!

Both corps had some changes in from the Centerville show, but kudos to the 'Coats for putting in about 35 pages of new drill along with a few music book changes as well. All of it part of the plan and all of it VERY GOOD.

The changes to the music book on the closer are outstanding. I also love the sound effect now being used on the trumpet solo...the microphone is NOT really for increased volume as some have complained about.

The white tubes used by the guard on "Flume" and "Ritual" were painted after Monday's show now painted match the beautiful flag used on the ballad... a great change!

Drumline, as usual, was smoking and received several great responses from the crowd!

This is quite simply one of the best designed shows I've ever seen and I know there's going to be more additions each week.

The 'Coats were obviously the crowd favorite tonight, but an Ohio crowd should be giving it up for an Ohio corps. :worthy:

Crown is such a solid drum corps. The brass section is obviously going to be in the running for the top spot at finals. Their drumline is certainly playing well and the guard is amazingly clean. I've not seen BD live yet, but

this show is certainly the best executed I've seen this year.

That being said, I'll take the 'Coats show for most entertaining and highest energy output. They could be in the fight on finals night too.

I saw Glassmen a couple of weeks ago in Michigan City and really liked their performance. Even though tonight was their home show, it just didn't seem to have the same energy that I heard from them earlier. Even the crowd at Michigan City seemed more into the show than tonight's Toledo crowd. Maybe it was due to going on after Bluecoats and Crown?

Glassmen have a nice hornline and a really fine music book.

I thought the drumline played better tonight than they did in Michigan City. I will say that even though I seated dead on the 50 about 20 rows up I had trouble hearing their tenors all night.

Props to the front ensemble. They play well and are very entertaining to watch.

Glassmen also have one of the finest drum majors in DCI.

As for the Cavaliers...this was the 5th time I've seen their show. It gets better every time I see it, but it's just not anywhere near the quality in terms of design or performance that the corps scoring ahead of them have.

I'm sure they will continue to tweak and refine...but so will the corps ahead of them. I just don't see this as a top 6 show...and maybe not a top 8.

It's very strange to see and hear the tepid response from the crowd. Usually the Cavies have the crowd enthusiastically on their feet at the end. That hasn't happened at any of the 5 shows I've been to including their home show in Michigan City.

I'm just not sure if that will happen no matter how well the members may end up performing what they've been given...of course, other corps have shown that you don't need to be a crowd favorite (or even liked) to end up scoring well. (Although I thought the new sheets were to help correct that.)

I know it is probably easy to say the loss of Mike Gaines is at the core of their design issues, but for me the drill

is NOT the biggest problem with the show.

A few other observations on tonight's show at BGSU...

* nice to see such a big crowd.

* Brad Bell is a great announcer.

* the stadium works well for drum corps, but would it be asking too much for BGSU to put up signs saying where the different sections are? Even the ushers were confused. We were taken to 3 different locations before finding the correct seats.

* more ushers would be nice. We also never saw anyone selling programs.

* it was great to see so many Glassmen alumni out on the field for the playing/singing of the corps song during the encore.