Salem, WI 7/12

Interested to see what Storkysr was referring to earlier with regard to drum scores. Are recaps up? I'm posting from my phone so I don't know.

:smile:

I was thinking more of an alum who has been to every show because they are die-hard and like to post on DCP.

And no offense taken, I do read the recaps every night! But recaps don't tell me if 10 members all of a sudden do backflips, or if the tenor drums turn upside down to play.

That's what I'm looking for!

I may be the guy your looking for. But, I do not discuss family biz. on the internet ! :smile:

Interested to see what Storkysr was referring to earlier with regard to drum scores. Are recaps up? I'm posting from my phone so I don't know.

I'm hoping that he's saying that part of the "big jump" tonight had something to do with their drum score!

That's why you want to look at groupings rather than scoring. If you would objectively look at both Cavies and Scouts' shows, the technical aspects of their shows out weighs that of Spirit's. It's just a matter of them cleaning it. They could be some what clean and score as high as a pretty clean Spirit.

Hey bobjective. Lots of posters throw out words like demand and technical aspects when comparing one corps' show to another's. Can you/our peers be more specific?

After seeing the three corps you have mentioned three times live and on the fan network a few times (I know that doesn't exactly compare) here is my assessment when considering many various aspects

of show design demand for each section of the corps:

Brass book: Spirit over Scouts over Cavies (all aspects of individual and collective demand)

Battery book: Cavies over Spirit over Scouts

Drill variety and demand: Spirit/Cavies over Scouts

Guard book: Cavies over Spirit over Scouts

Pit book: Cavies over Spirit over Scouts

Some specifics:

Body: all about the same at this point

Tempos: all about the same

Movement variety(not body): all about the same

Brass orchestration devices, vocabulary, and variety of styles: Spirit way over Scouts way over Cavies

Battery orchestration devices, vocabulary, and variety of styles: Cavies over Spirit way over Scouts

Pit orchestration devices, vocabulary, and variety of styles; Cavies over Spirit way over Scouts

Demand or character role: Spirit over Cavies over Scouts

Guard variety and character roles, communication demand: Spirit over Cavies over Scouts

I could break all of this down further into use of meter, keys, varied step size and path, variety of body and movement, instrument ranges, mouthpiece on face time, melodic demands on each section, exposure/features per section,

solo exposure, small ensembles exposure, articulation demands, environmental demands and frequency there of, etc.

I just feel that we (including myself) sometimes don't or can't specifically explain our take on things like demand. I think it requires detailed analysis of the "what." Something I do a lot as a judge myself, so much so I can hardly

ever turn it off and just enjoy a performance.

• Like 5

With how much scores have been fluctuating contest to contest I wouldn't put faith in one night, and like stated above, there's still half a season left.

Good point. We could find Madison doing a BETTERperformance tomorrow nite and remarkably the judges tomorrow don't have them jump another 2 points. They could actually score a bit lower, ( or the same as tonite ) and we'll scratch our heads.Similar 4 point score improvement moves in the next 2 days would put Madison at 83.5 in Minny if they had the same progression as the last 48 hours. Maybe that'll happen. Then again, maybe they won't break 80 in Minny. Who knows ? Thats why they play the games.

Edited by BRASSO

Madison Scouts truly is a corps with a storied past that is on their way back to competing for championships. And what we are seeing this year is something that has been in the making and planning for about 3 years now. If you look at the staff additions every year to each caption, and if you understand how they have reorganized with short term and long term goals for the Scouts, this would come as no surprise as to how they are rising in their competitiveness on the field. Just look at the staff for starters: Jim Mason and the whole blast/mason entertainment group and old Star of Indiana Staff. Lee Beddis, Crown's former percussion caption head. Tom Moore, Adam Sage, etc with the guard. Brad Green, Donnie Van Doren and Robert W. Smith, etc with the brass. John Vanderkoff and next year Andy Ebert, Crown's former visual caption head coming on aboard to enhance visual even more. With more to come! The Scouts are for real and back with a vengeance not just to be a crowd pleaser. But, to win championships.

• Like 1