Can someone explain the integrity of the judging system?

he's not refering to performance. he's refering to the content score which is how well the book is written. I'm sure that doesn't change from night to night or with a bad performance.

However, if the line is having an off night, the content might be hard to read for the judge thus lowering his opinion of the book. also what someone else said regarding sampling. If the judge on the second night was sampling during less well written parts of the book then his impression of content would be different from a judge that sampled sections which were better written.

well it can for a few reasons:

One, are the judges supposed to know their last score walking in the door? I don't recall where DCI has any kind of profile system. So unless the judge goes hunting down recaps, they should have no idea.

Plus they are to judge the show of the night. So if SCV had some issues, it would affect performance and readability, which could affect content

well it can for a few reasons:

One, are the judges supposed to know their last score walking in the door? I don't recall where DCI has any kind of profile system. So unless the judge goes hunting down recaps, they should have no idea.

Plus they are to judge the show of the night. So if SCV had some issues, it would affect performance and readability, which could affect content

hmmmm well they dont have to hunt far they can go on line as everyone else does.minutes after a show...lol

I think judging integrity to a lot of fans is directly linked to how well you're favourite corps does.

• Like 2

Drum corps judging is subjective. You don't trust the integrity of it when the numbers are inconsistent--I get it. But I think the problem is that you're looking for drum corps judging to be far more objective than it is possible for it to fairly be. It's an art form--it's not an accounting ledger. Sometimes people making your argument refer back to the tick system, when a corps was docked a tenth of a point for each mistake and say, we need to get back to that because it was much more objective. No it wasn't. The tick system was also highly subjective. And if you doubt it, get a group of three friends to watch a drum line warm up and count the ticks and see how consistent your numbers are.

I don't trust the integrity of it when the numbers are consistent from one night to the next. They shouldn't be. That gives the appearance of an inability to see changes in performance or to allow for divergent opinion. Even something like Content--there's room for differences of opinion.

While we might disagree whether objective data can be extracted from subjective evaluation, I AM inclined to agree that that can only be extracted over time. More important is to see how NORMAL variation (read sampling, interpretation, etc) plays into standing and placement over time. You are very right to see that NO variation is a sign of flaws. Some variation is good and a sign of a healthy, robust process that is in control. I would only be concerned if that variation caused a visible fluctuation that does not jibe with the prior trend. Where it becomes hinky is determining if it is actually the prior trend that is flawed, not saying that this was the case here. Unsubstantiated variation does not mean the measuring system is broken, only that something is - be it judging, performance, past judging, past performance, etc. For example a judge standing in the "wrong" place once is normal variation while consistently in the wrong place is a problem. Likewise, a ruffed flam once is normal variation, but consistently is a problem.

Edited by 13strokeroll