TROOPERS! Where are you?

The Cadets just put a Christmas show on the field and it is exciting, well developed (for the most part), and the crowds seem to enjoy it. It's also competitive. If they can do that, then Troopers can find a way to arrange music that fits their identity and make it feel fresh and new and competitive. And I don't buy the argument about uniforms. A new uniform can be designed that models the old one without compromising recruiting and what judges think.

Go try it for yourself and see if it works out.

The judges and newer fans, including recruitment fodder, want more of the new.

Alumni and older fans want more of the old. Compromise is what we have done since '08, basically, and look where it's gone to.

• Like 1

Granny, I couldn't possibly have said it better myself. I think there should be a surcharge paid at every dci event at which the Troopers appear if they where to return to their traditional look, music and drill. But only if this surcharge is spelled out in print on every ticket printed. Like Madison, the Troopers should be in it for the experience they afford their members and the entertainment they provide the audience. They're not in it for the competition. There is no genuine competition in a dci contest. Read other Forums to learn what the learned few among us have determined is wrong with the activity . . . THERE IS NO VALUE TO COMPETITION. It is an evil brainwash designed to feed the egos of the adults running the corps.

The mind does not fully develop until the age of 23. And a young mind is a terrible thing to waste by convincing corps members that they are in a fierce contest for 10ths of a point to move up an invisible ladder. As others have argued, it is phony or fixed.

They should be in a corps to learn about life, see the country and make friends. This premise of competition is way, way, way ---did I mention WAY? down the list of priorities.

Second most important is to learn how to ENTERTAIN and reap the personal satisfaction that comes from this. The Troopers were among the best at this.

Here is part of a posting I made in another Forum . . . .

"I wish there were side-by-side stadiums where dci could stage their modern day finals in one stadium and I would stage another show in the other stadium and we would wager a winner-takes-all bet on who would attract the larger audience. In the dci stadium you would have BD with dadaism and Carolina Crown blowin' off the roof and Cadets doing Christmas in August etc. and next door in my stadium, I'd have Kilties, Royal Airs, Blessed Sac, and special guests VELVET KNIGHTS!"

I'd put vintage Troopers, Madison and Blue Stars in my stadium.

To sum it up, you're right Granny and thank you for posting it here.

Edited by Martin I. Zing
  • Like 1

The Cadets just put a Christmas show on the field and it is exciting, well developed (for the most part), and the crowds seem to enjoy it. It's also competitive. If they can do that, then Troopers can find a way to arrange music that fits their identity and make it feel fresh and new and competitive. And I don't buy the argument about uniforms. A new uniform can be designed that models the old one without compromising recruiting and what judges think.

If the Troopers had the talent pool and resources that the Cadets had, I'm sure they could pull it off.

Also, if the Cadets did a Christmas show every year, it would grow old. A western show every year would get old, IMO. Though, I do think they have tried to incorporate some sort of a "western" feel to their shows since 2007.

But I do think they should have a sunburst per show. I mean, if I had a tradition like that, I would try my best to have one in each show in some capacity.

Oh Granny, you can sometimes be a source of such sage advice and acute observations.

I was thinking the very same things about the Troopers over the weekend.

This Corps has a unique opportunity to be different than so many of the others.

I love this Corps. But they are currently lost in the wilderness of Wyoming as to show theme and show design. I'd like to see them do a retro show.. a throwback Western motif show...Put them on the starting line if they have to to start the show. They've got NOTHING to lose now with going retro for a year or so.. Not when you are coming in 17th out of 18 Corps in a competition as it is, playing a show where the theme is about " Theatre ". Here's hoping the Troopers staff and show designers can sit down at the end of this season and ask themselves the fundamental question as to what it was that made this Corps so unique, so loved, and ultimately became affectionately known as " America's Corps ". Frankly, this 2012 show design and music compositions selected " ain't it ".

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

If the Troopers had the talent pool and resources that the Cadets had, I'm sure they could pull it off.

Also, if the Cadets did a Christmas show every year, it would grow old. A western show every year would get old, IMO. Though, I do think they have tried to incorporate some sort of a "western" feel to their shows since 2007.

But I do think they should have a sunburst per show. I mean, if I had a tradition like that, I would try my best to have one in each show in some capacity.

The sunburst is iconic, sure. But so is the Z-pull, the wedge, bottle dance, etc, and you don't see those corps doing them year after year after year.

• Like 3

I can't help but wonder what Mr. Jones would have to say about the " modern" Troopers. Or the activity as a whole for that matter.

"I wish there were side-by-side stadiums where dci could stage their modern day finals in one stadium and I would stage another show in the other stadium and we would wager a winner-takes-all bet on who would attract the larger audience. In the dci stadium you would have BD with dadaism and Carolina Crown blowin' off the roof and Cadets doing Christmas in August etc. and next door in my stadium, I'd have Kilties, Royal Airs, Blessed Sac, and special guests VELVET KNIGHTS!"

No one would go to your show because DCI and drum corps are about the best level of achieve in the marching arts, which is what DCI is these days. I honestly don't think there would be enough people interested in marching those old-school shows in fantasy resurrected corps, and the idea of 60 young kids trying to recreate the glories of the 1965 VFW championships is honestly kinda pathetic.

• Like 3

No one would go to your show because DCI and drum corps are about the best level of achieve in the marching arts, which is what DCI is these days. I honestly don't think there would be enough people interested in marching those old-school shows in fantasy resurrected corps, and the idea of 60 young kids trying to recreate the glories of the 1965 VFW championships is honestly kinda pathetic.

Wrong

• Like 1

Granny, I couldn't possibly have said it better myself. I think there should be a surcharge paid at every dci event at which the Troopers appear if they where to return to their traditional look, music and drill. But only if this surcharge is spelled out in print on every ticket printed. Like Madison, the Troopers should be in it for the experience they afford their members and the entertainment they provide the audience. They're not in it for the competition. There is no genuine competition in a dci contest. Read other Forums to learn what the learned few among us have determined is wrong with the activity . . . THERE IS NO VALUE TO COMPETITION. It is an evil brainwash designed to feed the egos of the adults running the corps.

The mind does not fully develop until the age of 23. And a young mind is a terrible thing to waste by convincing corps members that they are in a fierce contest for 10ths of a point to move up an invisible ladder. As others have argued, it is phony or fixed.

They should be in a corps to learn about life, see the country and make friends. This premise of competition is way, way, way ---did I mention WAY? down the list of priorities.

Second most important is to learn how to ENTERTAIN and reap the personal satisfaction that comes from this. The Troopers were among the best at this.

Here is part of a posting I made in another Forum . . . .

I'd put vintage Troopers, Madison and Blue Stars in my stadium.

To sum it up, you're right Granny and thank you for posting it here.

you would be surprised :blink:

Troopers will cease to exist without being competitive.

It sounds harsh, but we have literally the hardest time in DCI recruiting. Just look back to the 90s-2005, where the corps wore older-looking uniforms, scarves, and used G bugles. We were bottom of the barrel and membership was at an all time low.

If it means sacrificing some of that "identity," then you'd better get used to it if you want to see Troopers survive.

I talked to a staff member last year about Troopers history. From the beginning, Troop started the touring drum corps model, invented asymmetrical and curvilinear drill, the rifle for the guard, etc. After a certain point, that stopped. This staff member (who was a soloist for a top corps recently for a few years) said "Innovation should be the tradition."

I know everyone (and I use that loosely... plenty of people hate the Troopers look) loves the old uniform and style, but it doesn't work today and will result in the corps dying, again. Take it from someone with experience.

Repeat after to yourself : " The Troopers finished 17th out of 18 Corps on Saturday doing a " modern " show about " The theatre". Then repeat 5 times : The Troopers will quickly die doing annual shows like this year's theme ". After you do this,please come back here and tell me why you disagree with my observation and still believe that the Troopers will be competitively successful in future years doing themes like this year's theme and music. In my opinion, its quite possible that The Troopers may not be competitivrely successful doing a theme that is more aligned with their western style of tradition, but they will surely die if they continue doing shows like this years that seems so out of character, style, vibe, etc for The Troopers. Put some bullets in that holster, grow a pair, and don't go artsy, fartsy and lame on us. Of ALL The Corps, please no, not The Troopers from Caspar, Wyoming. If you have to go down, Go down on YOUR terms Troopers, not somebody's elses. Sorry 'bout the rant. But it is meant as helpful suggestion to someone that truly loves the uniqueness of this Corps and wants them to be both entertaining as well as competitive for a Finalist spot .... The Troopers have thoroughly lost that stylistic uniqueness of late in show design performance on the field, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4