Master Chef + Drum Corps?

So, I got this idea from watching Master Chef tonight, where the challenge was to serve 101 cowboys with prep time of 90 minutes. I'm watching this with my parents (all of us having recently volunteered on a corps food truck), and we all think aloud...been there done that!

Wouldn't it be cool if Master Chef went out to a corps rehearsal and gave meal service as a challenge? Small nuances aside, it's quite a challenge to serve 150 members plus staff out of a trailer with limited equipment, and have the members out and ready to go sometimes in as little as 30 minutes. Seeing how this is a summer show, there is the timing issue, but they might be able to make it into someone's all days.

So, I got this idea from watching Master Chef tonight, where the challenge was to serve 101 cowboys with prep time of 90 minutes. I'm watching this with my parents (all of us having recently volunteered on a corps food truck), and we all think aloud...been there done that!

Wouldn't it be cool if Master Chef went out to a corps rehearsal and gave meal service as a challenge? Small nuances aside, it's quite a challenge to serve 150 members plus staff out of a trailer with limited equipment, and have the members out and ready to go sometimes in as little as 30 minutes. Seeing how this is a summer show, there is the timing issue, but they might be able to make it into someone's all days.

If they did the full day from 4am to Midnight .... I would die laughing watching them try to do it with no leader, no experience doing so and no idea how many calories those athletes need. The plates Master Chef uses aren't big enough :tongue:

Now if Felix were on the truck .. I would have to volunteer for the day!!!!!!! :devil:

Ok here is the deal. I started cooking for BD in 87 then went to work (accidentally) for Harrah's Lake Tahoe (a five star resort at the time) and came back for another short tour in 89 after two years.

The chef I worked for didn't go to some fancy pants culinary schooooooool or work for a famous chefypoo. He worked hard (drum corps style) and read books and tried stuff and messed up stuff and just lived the life. (drum corps style) But,.... he documented everything he did and got certification in the ACF.

Now he is the VP of the American Culinary Federation Western Region!

TV shows are not what the real world in cooking is like AT ALL!!! (but thank you for thinking of us)

If you seriously want to do this. I can hook you up. NO! I want to hook you up.

Let's talk!

Ok here is the deal. I started cooking for BD in 87 then went to work (accidentally) for Harrah's Lake Tahoe (a five star resort at the time) and came back for another short tour in 89 after two years.

The chef I worked for didn't go to some fancy pants culinary schooooooool or work for a famous chefypoo. He worked hard (drum corps style) and read books and tried stuff and messed up stuff and just lived the life. (drum corps style) But,.... he documented everything he did and got certification in the ACF.

Now he is the VP of the American Culinary Federation Western Region!

TV shows are not what the real world in cooking is like AT ALL!!! (but thank you for thinking of us)

If you seriously want to do this. I can hook you up. NO! I want to hook you up.

Let's talk!

I believe it. One of my friends marching all-age is the executive chef of a local restaurant, and he got there the same way (almost literally drum corps style). I was thinking this out more along the lines of how serving a drum corps compares to challenges done by these "reality" shows...as well as the exposure for the activity that would ensue.

The Blue Knights tour chef this season IS a masterchef. Go on the Blue Knight's facebook page and check out all of those pictures of the wonderful meals they are eating. Yuuummmm!

A couple decades ago, I helped out the cook/serving crew on the truck that accompanied one of the DCM All-Star trips to a New Years parade. I came to dread stepping aboard the truck. It's easily one of the hardest things I've ever done. I was sore, tired and cranky, and I wasn't aboard the truck for every meal. Those who work the food trucks do it as a labor of love, and also because they know many of us don't have what it takes to pull it off day after day after day. They have to work as volunteers because there's no way one could pay someone enough to do that job. They are athletes in their own way.

• Like 9

My wife spends half the summer as Head Chef and is considered one of the best on the road working with the best and punting as the best when the situation arises, esp when she has to help another corps needing help with meal because of budget problems.

Master Chef, Restaurant Impossible, any of those shows... what you have here is another potential way to show DCI to others beyond the usual fan base and maybe earn a few for the corps. Every little opportunity for $$ and exposure, that's what we're talking about! It works for USC TMB - paying gigs gigs gigs!!!!

A couple decades ago, I helped out the cook/serving crew on the truck that accompanied one of the DCM All-Star trips to a New Years parade. I came to dread stepping aboard the truck. It's easily one of the hardest things I've ever done. I was sore, tired and cranky, and I wasn't aboard the truck for every meal. Those who work the food trucks do it as a labor of love, and also because they know many of us don't have what it takes to pull it off day after day after day. They have to work as volunteers because there's no way one could pay someone enough to do that job. They are athletes in their own way.

...hear here, Mike! As many tours as I've been on, pretty much all emanating from SoCal, I've never ceased to marvel at the food people and how much real, actual and hard WORK they do. Running a tour or simply being on instructional staff is much less demanding in comparison (of course, if you're doing any of those things AND driving, well...that's in the conversation...heh). If you're a kid on tour right now and read this, get your section to genuflect to these people *regularly,* they are truly special.

Charlie Groh

• Like 2

As a parent who just worked the So Cal tour with the corps my daughter marches with I must say it is hard work, but it is a lot of fun too. You meet great people and the kids are the best. Got a thank you from each corps member at every meal. Love my fellow food crew parents, and we are getting together after the long tour for a reunion party. Looking forward to next year and going on the long tour myself. Go support crew and that includes kitchen help, drivers, uniform help, and anyone else who volunteers for a corps. Remember an army marches on it's stomach (and so does drum corps).

• Like 2