Possible DCI Marketing Idea

It's possible smaller companies don't see enough potential bang for their buck.

Face it: we are band nerds. That's not a market advertisers want.

And how much bang for the buck is there in a small marketing company securing various sponsorships for that proverbial Punkin Chunkin? Moreover, Drum Corps produces musicians who actually end up performing with groups like 311, Blue Man, or drum for Paul Simon, or play trumpet in the David Letterman band, etc ... Those certainly "are" markets advertisers want, and that is something which is marketable for DCI if they present it in the right way (especially if they can secure the endorsements from those DCI turn pro performers). Imagine DCI being plugged at a 311 concert, a Rascal Flatts concert, or actually advertised during the Letterman show, etc... partially underwritten by the pros in those organizations who cut their teeth in drum corps. Come on people, the only way DCI is going to stay financially solvent is if we not only think outside the box, but take a box cutter to that box.

"We view NASCAR as a lighthouse brand," said John Seifert, chairman and CEO of Ogilvy & Mather North America. "The sport blends marquee stars, jewel events, and some of the fiercest competition on the planet with an intricate ecosystem comprised of historic tracks and compelling personalities..."

Seifert forgot to add, "...we anticipate higher visibility for our product as we combine our synergistic energies on a go forward basis."

I can describe MD 20/20 in a similar fashion: "MD 20/20...a lighthouse brand...subtle, yet unassuming, with a slightly delicate afternose. A junk wine, albeit one suitable for framing." Doesn't make me want to go buy a bottle and sit on a curb and drink it, though.

I understand that DCI is way, way, way, smaller in scale than NASCAR and I am not comparing them as sport to sport or Major League to Major League.. However, why can't DCI, on a smaller scale due to financial constraints, follow the "marketing" lead of this article. I injected a few bold typed questions within the article, and please read all questions before blasting me on why I am out to lunch.:

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR on Thursday concluded a comprehensive agency review that spanned nearly four months, by selecting Ogilvy & Mather as Agency of Record (AOR) to service the sport's evolving advertising and marketing needs. The agency will help NASCAR and the industry to execute a five-year industry action plan to engage and excite existing fans, while creating new ones. (Is it not also the plan for DCI to excite existing fans while creating new ones?)

NASCAR embarked on a review to secure a class-leading, full-service advertising agency in early 2012 in order to expand the sport's marketing efforts and provide an integrated solution to help NASCAR grow its audience in Youth, Gen Y and Hispanic. As AOR, Ogilvy & Mather's responsibilities also will include target segmentation, brand vision/storytelling, media strategy, promotions and support for the growing NASCAR Digital team. (Why can't DCI go on a search for a similar type agency?)

NASCAR received 110 inquiries and 75 sets of credentials from a host of agencies of all sizes and expertise. The list was carefully analyzed and narrowed to a field of fewer than 10 firms, each of which were visited by a cross-functional team of executives from key business areas across NASCAR. In June, a trio of finalists -- Leo Burnett, Ogilvy & Mather and McCann Erickson North America -- presented to a group of senior leaders, including NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France. (Of these 110 firms who provided inquiries has any of them been approached by DCI?)

"Significant changes in our ecosystem impacted how we deliver our message and position our brand to existing fans while increasing the appeal of NASCAR to new audiences," said Kim Brink, NASCAR managing director of brand, consumer and series marketing. "We were thoroughly impressed with the caliber of all three finalists; but Ogilvy's consistency, creativity and dynamic leadership were the key differentiators. We're delighted to join the agency's roster of big consumer brands." (Does not the language of changes in the branding sound like the issues DCI are going through?)

"We view NASCAR as a lighthouse brand," said John Seifert, chairman and CEO of Ogilvy & Mather North America. "The sport blends marquee stars, jewel events, and some of the fiercest competition on the planet with an intricate ecosystem comprised of historic tracks and compelling personalities. From the beginning of the agency review process, it was clear to us that NASCAR was looking for a true business partner. We firmly believe that NASCAR is a valuable tool in the marketing mix and a place where big brands get high return on investment. We couldn't be more proud to add the sport to our portfolio of global brands." (Change the brand NASCAR and the word Tracks in this paragraph and replace them with the brand DCI and the word Stadiums, and why would it not work? I mean DCI does have some global brands already as some sponsors, not as powerful as some who sponsor NASCAR, but certainly global nonetheless)

Ogilvy & Mather will complete a comprehensive on-boarding process in 2012, as the agency prepares to help NASCAR launch a new brand platform at the 55th running of the Daytona 500 in February 2013. (So why cannot that, with much sweat and blood work, be turned into, "XYZ company will complete a comprehensive on-boarding process in 2012, as the agency prepares to help DCI launch a new brand platform at the 41st DCI Finals held in August 2013.")

Why this won't happen => money

Well, you gotta spend money "on" marketing to make money "through" marketing. That is just part of business 101.

You can't spend money you don't have though.

• Like 2

Full disclosure: I used to work for Ogilvy and Mather and I currently work for a media planning/buying agency that has corporate ties to Ogilvy.

The fee NASCAR is likely be paying Ogilvy is way out of the ballpark for DCI.

I'm not even sure what DCI's marketing budget is or whether they buy much advertising, but I doubt it is substantial enough to hire a major agency. Even small agencies would probably not see it worth their while.

DCI probably needs all the services mentioned in the article. But, do they have the money to pay for it?

I doubt it.

BTW--according to another article, NASCAR spends $50 million a year in advertising.

Edited by barigirl78

And how much bang for the buck is there in a small marketing company securing various sponsorships for that proverbial Punkin Chunkin? Moreover, Drum Corps produces musicians who actually end up performing with groups like 311, Blue Man, or drum for Paul Simon, or play trumpet in the David Letterman band, etc ... Those certainly "are" markets advertisers want, and that is something which is marketable for DCI if they present it in the right way (especially if they can secure the endorsements from those DCI turn pro performers). Imagine DCI being plugged at a 311 concert, a Rascal Flatts concert, or actually advertised during the Letterman show, etc... partially underwritten by the pros in those organizations who cut their teeth in drum corps. Come on people, the only way DCI is going to stay financially solvent is if we not only think outside the box, but take a box cutter to that box.

I agree with your last statement, but not a lot of the rest of the post. Marketing people of products targeted at general appeal look for mass audiences with mass appeal. IE Pepsi at the Superbowl. We track things like impressions per dollar spent, and a lot of us track the actual ROI of a marketing or outreach campaign.

DCI has a pretty limited audience and unfortunately makes decisions that keep it that way. Imagine if a sport had only 1 race a year to determine a champion, and held it in the same location every year. Before you mention horse racing or the indy 500, remember that there are many champions crowned every year in racing and in horse racing. Also imagine if that sport were not very well known.... In the early days of professional sports, games were held just about in any venue that could hold them. And professional sports are very very good on the opening day, and may be better during the season than on the actual final contest. DCI is more like the olympics, which are held in Greece every year with limited TV and theater coverage. :tongue:

Think about which companies would want to advertise to DCI or potential DCI fans. The music instrument companies already support DCI either directly or indirectly. I doubt that the companies interested in DCI fans as a group of their own are not already reaching them in some way. It is child's play for any decent marketing person to figure out how to reach the DCI fan.

Nascar has a HUGE following, and so, in general attracts a ton of advertisement. Most Nascar fans do not race, are retired racers and are not the parents of racers or retire racers. DCI misses on a lot of those counts. There is a lack of universal appeal, in spite of advertising on local theaters, being on PBS etc...

In the past, several of us on this forum had suggested a ton of ideas to grow the appeal of DCI as measured by growing the fan base. In my opinion, the idea of holding the only championship in Indy for an extended period of time has an incredible downside. DCIs answer is the Fan Network and the theater viewings, a reasonable start but hardly a decent replacement.

I doubt that DCI needs to spend a ton of money on a marketing study. My firm does marketing research for a lot of large and smaller companies with very reasonable rates. We are a boutique company, but in our target markets, we are pretty successful. More importantly, I know several marketing people on this forum that would volunteer time to help DCI, including myself, and that would be a great start.

Full disclosure: I used to work for Ogilvy and Mather and I currently work for a media planning/buying agency that has corporate ties to Ogilvy.

The fee NASCAR is likely be paying Ogilvy is way out of the ballpark for DCI.

I'm not even sure what DCI's marketing budget is or whether they buy much advertising, but I doubt it is substantial enough to hire a major agency. Even small agencies would probably not see it worth their while.

DCI probably needs all the services mentioned in the article. But, do they have the money to pay for it?

I doubt it.

BTW--according to another article, NASCAR spends $50 million a year in advertising.

Hey Barigirl, question that only needs a large-ballpark answer:

How much nationwide, targeted marketing can DCI get for, say $500,000 or a million?

Any media.

I agree with your last statement, but not a lot of the rest of the post. Marketing people of products targeted at general appeal look for mass audiences with mass appeal. IE Pepsi at the Superbowl. We track things like impressions per dollar spent, and a lot of us track the actual ROI of a marketing or outreach campaign.

DCI has a pretty limited audience and unfortunately makes decisions that keep it that way. Imagine if a sport had only 1 race a year to determine a champion, and held it in the same location every year. Before you mention horse racing or the indy 500, remember that there are many champions crowned every year in racing and in horse racing. Also imagine if that sport were not very well known.... In the early days of professional sports, games were held just about in any venue that could hold them. And professional sports are very very good on the opening day, and may be better during the season than on the actual final contest. DCI is more like the olympics, which are held in Greece every year with limited TV and theater coverage. :tongue:

Think about which companies would want to advertise to DCI or potential DCI fans. The music instrument companies already support DCI either directly or indirectly. I doubt that the companies interested in DCI fans as a group of their own are not already reaching them in some way. It is child's play for any decent marketing person to figure out how to reach the DCI fan.

Nascar has a HUGE following, and so, in general attracts a ton of advertisement. Most Nascar fans do not race, are retired racers and are not the parents of racers or retire racers. DCI misses on a lot of those counts. There is a lack of universal appeal, in spite of advertising on local theaters, being on PBS etc...

In the past, several of us on this forum had suggested a ton of ideas to grow the appeal of DCI as measured by growing the fan base. In my opinion, the idea of holding the only championship in Indy for an extended period of time has an incredible downside. DCIs answer is the Fan Network and the theater viewings, a reasonable start but hardly a decent replacement.

I doubt that DCI needs to spend a ton of money on a marketing study. My firm does marketing research for a lot of large and smaller companies with very reasonable rates. We are a boutique company, but in our target markets, we are pretty successful. More importantly, I know several marketing people on this forum that would volunteer time to help DCI, including myself, and that would be a great start.

OK, dad, I'll ask you the same question: What would be a minimum necessary for DCI to spend to get the kind of coverage you envision? $250m, $500m, $1mm?

OK, dad, I'll ask you the same question: What would be a minimum necessary for DCI to spend to get the kind of coverage you envision? $250m, $500m, $1mm?

There you go again; confusing many posters on DCP with the "m" and "mm" :tongue: